Who makes 10mm? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes 10mm?

10mm STI

Put aside Glock, Kimber. STI makes this weapon and it was the nicest pistol, I ever shot.

It dawned on me a while back I was trying to negotiate a 10mm but couldn't get him to budge on the price.

STI makes a beauty. Action is smoother than a babies backside. There are a fewused out there and yes a little expensive, but not many give them up. The guy I was trying to buy from shot competive and simply didn't need it. He wasn't like me that got attached.

STI International - The STI

If I recall Don Johnson carried one in Miami Vice

Quote Originally Posted by TokenGimp View Post
    If I recall Don Johnson carried one in Miami Vice
    Durring the first season and a half or so, he carried a Dormas and Dixon Bren-Ten in a shoulder holster made by the Famous Jackass Leather Company. Parts for the Bren-Ten became an issue, so somewhere in the second season, IIRC, he switched to a Colt Delta-Elite 10mm. He continued to use the shoulder holster system. The Famous Jackass Leather Company is now known as Galco, and the holster that Don Johnson used is now called the Miami Classic.

Don Johnson also carryed a compact pistol in an ankle holster, I want to say it was a Colt 380, but I am not sure. He did use a Steyr-AUG rifle and a Stryker-12 shotgun in various episodes.

Wow great info. I loved that show!

Quote Originally Posted by pd6468 View Post
    Wow great info. I loved that show!
    To digress a little bit, I use the Galco Miami Classic to carry a Glock 22. Perhaps I should get a Glock 20 in 10mm so I can get a little closer to the holster's roots.

7. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    To digress a little bit, I use the Galco Miami Classic to carry a Glock 22. Perhaps I should get a Glock 20 in 10mm so I can get a little closer to the holster's roots.
    The closest you can get to its' roots would be getting a EAA Witness in 10mm.

The Bren Ten was a CZ-75 based gun and that's as close as you're gonna get nowadays.

Personally, I'll carry my guns in a .50BMG ammo can half filled with gravel before Galco sees another penny of my money.

They made it clear to me TWICE that they weren't interested in taking my money, so I'm not going to try to shove it down their throats.

I had a burglary back in '98 during which most of my gun leather was stolen. That included 2 Miami Classic shoulder rigs. Once the insurance company settled up, I called Galco to put in an order for about a half a dozen belt holsters with matching mag carriers and 3 shoulder rigs. When I tried to place an order for a Miami Classic system for the Witness (I have one in .45 that I liked to use when working in the gunshop I moonlighted at during this period), the 'customer service' representative on the other end told me, "We don't make a holster for that gun," in a very condescending tone (like they thought my choice of firearm was not worthy of their holsters or something) and HUNG UP ON ME. A week later, after I'd cooled off and wrote it off as someone on their last day trying to screw their soon to be former employer, I tried again and the EXACT SAME THING happened with another 'representative'.

Once I reentered the Earth's atmosphere and came back down to the ground, I looked up Don Hume's phone number, called them and the nice lady there was MORE than happy to help me work out what I needed for my various guns with the complete order ending up sitting in my living room inside a week.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Durring the first season and a half or so, he carried a Dormas and Dixon Bren-Ten in a shoulder holster made by the Famous Jackass Leather Company. Parts for the Bren-Ten became an issue, so somewhere in the second season, IIRC, he switched to a Colt Delta-Elite 10mm. He continued to use the shoulder holster system. The Famous Jackass Leather Company is now known as Galco, and the holster that Don Johnson used is now called the Miami Classic.

Don Johnson also carryed a compact pistol in an ankle holster, I want to say it was a Colt 380, but I am not sure. He did use a Steyr-AUG rifle and a Stryker-12 shotgun in various episodes.
    Another interesting bit about that. When they were trying to set up the holster for Don, they knew what kind they wanted but no one knew what it was called, who made it or where to find it. They called a custom leather shop who tried to make it but never got it to fit quite right (apparently the little things make a big difference on this holster). Somewhere along the way the leather shop (I think) was looking for parts for the holster (fasteners, buckles, something) and one of the suppliers or subsuppliers also supplied the same part to Jackass leather and recognized what they were trying to make.

To think they probably could have just picked up a copy of Guns and Ammo and figured out who made the holster!

The Bren Ten was supposedly a great gun but the company couldn't make them. As I understand several were shipped without magazines, with a note saying that the mags would be shipped later. These owners never got their mags and now, if you can find them, they go for over $140.00.

I quit using Galco because of cost, plus the newer holsters I've seen just don't measure up to what they used to make. That said the Galco Phoenix is IMO the best leather holster for a 4" Smith 686 or Ruger GP100 I've ever owned.

Going Miami

Well I don't see myself getting an EAA Witness anytime soon, but thanks for the tidbit. An AUG on the other hand or a Stryker-12 those might be some interesting options.

Rumor has it that durring one episode Crocket ejected a magazine from his Bren-Ten into the water, they did alot of boat scenes. The day after the episode aired SCUBA divers were in the water looking for the magazine because the darn things were that scarse.

10. Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Another interesting bit about that. When they were trying to set up the holster for Don, they knew what kind they wanted but no one knew what it was called, who made it or where to find it. They called a custom leather shop who tried to make it but never got it to fit quite right (apparently the little things make a big difference on this holster). Somewhere along the way the leather shop (I think) was looking for parts for the holster (fasteners, buckles, something) and one of the suppliers or subsuppliers also supplied the same part to Jackass leather and recognized what they were trying to make.

To think they probably could have just picked up a copy of Guns and Ammo and figured out who made the holster!

The Bren Ten was supposedly a great gun but the company couldn't make them. As I understand several were shipped without magazines, with a note saying that the mags would be shipped later. These owners never got their mags and now, if you can find them, they go for over $140.00.

I quit using Galco because of cost, plus the newer holsters I've seen just don't measure up to what they used to make. That said the Galco Phoenix is IMO the best leather holster for a 4" Smith 686 or Ruger GP100 I've ever owned.
    I know the guy that blued the 2 prototypes that were showed off at the SHOT SHOW and he has told me that whole bunch of involved with the gun was super paranoid about the guns before they were unveiled. They wouldn't even bring a whole gun to him to blue. He ended up bluing parts and pieces in several small lots.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post

Detonics Combatmaster .45 acp. Mark VI in the ankle holster (now legal in Georgia).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast