What pocket holster do you use for a ruger lcp? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What pocket holster do you use for a ruger lcp?

I found the concealment concepts kel tec pocket pal wallet holster, as shown and discussed in some replies, to be very interesting. I like it's size and the lack of any "pocket remnant" when I want to present my firearm. It also seems to add some extra "grip" for a small firearm. The comments about legality are also interesting. I contacted concealment concepts who have indicated that they have and will send me corroborating correspondence about its legality; their point is that the barrel is fully exposed and although you could consider this still a wallet holster per ATF law, it seems to fall outside the ATF definition with the exposed barrel. I have also posed the question to ATF but have not received a reply.

I would be very interested to hear their response, Pleas keep me/us posted when you get an answer.

Side Note: I have been carrying my LCP around in its new holster and really love it. I keep forgeting it's there and being a noob to Conceal carry, I find myself doing a double take at the door to see it I am legal. When I got my flu shot today I had to stash my weapon in the car, as the county health department had a big no gun sign on their dorr. I feel if I can't carry my gun into a place, there damn well better be a cop in there with one to protect me.

ATF Approval of Pocket Pal Wallet Holster

Hey mpohio and others: I just received a copy of the Report of Technical Examination from the Dept. of Treasury/Bureau of ATF/Firearms Technology Branch that says as follows regarding the Pocket Pal Wallet Holster mfgd by Concealment Concepts---"Does not conceal the appearance of the pistol. There is a hole permitting operation of the trigger. However, it merely encloses the grip and trigger guard of the pistol and extends in front of the grip and below the slide. The entire slide of the pistol is exposed" The conclusion: "It is not subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C.Chapter 44 or 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53" It further says "A pistol such as a Kel-Tec P3AT or P32 combined with the Exhibit, would not meet the definition of an "any other weapon" in Section 5845(c) of Title 26 U.S.C." This document was dated 6/5/00 and sent by Firearms Enforcement Officer Curtis H.A.Bartlett to Special Agent James L. Ruffin of the Bureau of ATF.
    Sounds pretty solid that the Pocket Pal Wallet Holster is NOT "any other weapon"---the fact that the entire top of pistol and its slide are fully exposed indicates that it is,indeed, just a holster, albeit a different holster from conventional holsters.
    I did purchase the holster and it truly makes for a very compact and comfortable holster design. It's design also provides additional recoil tempering over and above the "padding" I had attached at the point where the holster makes contact with the small of your thumb (you know that spot that really feels the recoil) and the extra hole provides additonal stability. Compact, comfortable, no imprint, added stability when gripping to fire, one piece design w,pistol so no movement of holster when presenting pistol, and further protection of mag release since it is now recessed within the leather trigger groove---as good as it gets for the kel tec P3AT IMO. All positives and no negatives>

Interesting. Thanks for your work to find this out.

Thanks kelcarry, I hope that you don't consider me as being hostile to SC LEO's for bringing the issue up.

Hey G50AE: There is an old adage--"if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen". If I am going to get upset over logical replies and differing opinions I should not be writing in the first place. Appropriate and polite rebuttals to my comments are interesting to receive and welcome; your comments on issues on this forum fit that category and I like to read them. I do get upset with some members who feel it is necessary to compose rabid and angry replies that are laced with derogatory personal comments, and I would hope that the moderators step up their warnings to some people who find this sort of infantile behaviour acceptable. The forum has managed to separate the religious and pure politically-oriented comments into their own corners; these comments have become a bit too vitriolic and personal and I am glad I do not have to go thru them to get to issues that interest me. Most of the threads have taught me many interesting things on CC, firearms etc. and I look forward to new threads and replies as a fun project each day.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey G50AE: There is an old adage--"if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen". If I am going to get upset over logical replies and differing opinions I should not be writing in the first place. Appropriate and polite rebuttals to my comments are interesting to receive and welcome; your comments on issues on this forum fit that category and I like to read them. I do get upset with some members who feel it is necessary to compose rabid and angry replies that are laced with derogatory personal comments, and I would hope that the moderators step up their warnings to some people who find this sort of infantile behaviour acceptable. The forum has managed to separate the religious and pure politically-oriented comments into their own corners; these comments have become a bit too vitriolic and personal and I am glad I do not have to go thru them to get to issues that interest me. Most of the threads have taught me many interesting things on CC, firearms etc. and I look forward to new threads and replies as a fun project each day.
    My wife has quit participating in this forum, just because of these infantile personal comments, which is really to bad because she enjoyed the posting on differant views, then some moronick asswipe would come on and call a deragatory name and say she didn't know WTF she was talking about, instead of just putting in his opinion and leaveing it at that, I do not know any of you personaly, but one thing I can absolutly garranty is she can out shoot most of the so called experts at our local ranges, and would not hesitate to use her weapon if needed

FWIW, I have always thought that classifying a "shoot-through-wallet-holster", that's the BATFE's o'fishoil term, as an AOW was kinda stupid. That's just my opinion though.

Because of new technology, I do think that an update to NFA rules is in order. But that's a longshot under the current administration.

This particular "wallet holster" has the barrel/slide exposed so it is not a shoot thru holster design, and as I said, ATF has verified its legality. Comments I have seen consistently point to the fact that the trigger is not covered/guarded/protected, which is true but the trigger is recessed within the hole area as it is surrounded by the leather around the access hole. I cannot, in my wildest dreams, see how I could possibly discharge the pistol with its fairly substantial trigger pull and the way this holster is designed (yes--"what if" exists and I guess pigs someday will learn to fly). The only comment that I can agree with is that with the barrel exposed, lint etc can get into barrel--not sure what people keep in their pockets but my pockets are not lint-filled. All in all, IMO, an interesting alternative to the standard holster that meets my needs sitting in car storage or in my pocket--and I just cannot beat the stability of grip I can achieve for this little pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    My wife has quit participating in this forum, just because of these infantile personal comments, which is really to bad because she enjoyed the posting on differant views, then some moronick asswipe would come on and call a deragatory name and say she didn't know WTF she was talking about, instead of just putting in his opinion and leaveing it at that, I do not know any of you personaly, but one thing I can absolutly garranty is she can out shoot most of the so called experts at our local ranges, and would not hesitate to use her weapon if needed
    Sorry to hear about that crap. It's the Alpha male/Small mind syndrome. Some people feel the need to belittle others to make their miserable lives seem livable. I try to remember, there are people of all backgrounds and social classes on here. Many have no social skills and when they feel verbally or socially challenged they can do nothing but lash out. Some are just know-it-alls. I hope the mods do a better job and I hope she comes back.

Peace through strength.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast