Ruger Blackhawk vs Ruger Vaquero

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk vs Ruger Vaquero

Ruger Blackhawk vs Ruger Vaquero

Are the Ruger Blackhawk and Vaquero basically the same strength-wise? They appear to be the same but I've seen ammo (Buffalo Bore) rated for the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk only, with no mention of the Vaquero.

3. There the same frame, the Vaquero just has fixed sights. Bear in mind, Ruger returned to the original 357 frame size a few years ago. The .45Colt Vaqueros that have been released on this lighter frame are about the same size as a Colt SAA and are NOT rated for the same +P+ or 'Ruger Only' reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    There the same frame, the Vaquero just has fixed sights. Bear in mind, Ruger returned to the original 357 frame size a few years ago. The .45Colt Vaqueros that have been released on this lighter frame are about the same size as a Colt SAA and are NOT rated for the same +P+ or 'Ruger Only' reloads.
    Thanks. Mine was purchased in 2003 and is actually a Bisley. When was this change made? I'm assuming this was around the time that they dropped the .44 mag, .44-40 and .40 S&W (?) models.

5. Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Thanks. Mine was purchased in 2003 and is actually a Bisley. When was this change made? I'm assuming this was around the time that they dropped the .44 mag, .44-40 and .40 S&W (?) models.
    Yup, that's when. but the .40S&W- as far a i remember- was one of the special run guns for one of the wholesalers (Davidson's, maybe?) and there was a sheriff's department out in TX that made an order for a set for each deputy. That's what started the ball rolling.

The good news is you could send it to Bowen or one of the other custom 'smiths that work on Ruger single actions a lot and have a .38WCF cylinder made and put in.

Thanks. While we're discussing it, when I took my CWP class there was a guy there that had a .44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk that had a .38 cylinder for it. Did Ruger ever do anything like this? What would be the purpose?