carry weapon choice - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carry weapon choice

And why not the Glock 23? Same frame as the 19.

3. It has a lot more to do with shot placement, than the caliber ( 9 40 or 45 ) or the weapon or specific caliber.

Shots into the critical vitals....or nervous system (brain, spine) work wonders in any of the three calibers assuming normal good defensive loads.

I like them all (9 40 & 45), but shot placement does matter....way up there in priority....so practice.

So.....

exactly.

As posted above, shot placement is key. 3 solid hits with a 9mm is better than 10 scrapes and misses with a .50AE any day of the week.

First of all, make sure you pick a handgun that you WILL carry. If you don't have it with you, it doesn't matter what caliber it is, how small it is, or how good it shoots. Even if you find that the most power you can carry comfortably is a .380, that is still better than a 9mm at home.

Second, make sure that the handgun you choose is not too powerful for you to handle with regard to recoil. Many handguns such as Glock, M&P, 1911, PPS, etc have very similar frames, but multiple available calibers. If you can carry one frame comfortably, you likely have multiple calibers to choose from. Generally, most people will push towards the more powerful of the bunch. This is not always the best idea, as the larger calibers in a small frame may make your follow-up shots next to impossible to execute. This is dangerous for anyone in the area, not to mention yourself if you cant hit a target when you need to. The best way to find this out, is to try and get your hands on various models at a local range, and ask if you can try a few rounds to compare and contrast. My money is on the shooter letting you give their handguns a try.

Lastly, practice with whatever you have, a lot. If you end up with multiple handguns that you carry, make sure that you practice with all of them. You don't want to be so used to shooting a Glock that if you pick up a 1911, you forget about the safety!

For reference, I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm primarily, but also carry my Kimber Compact 4" CDP-2 .45ACP, as well as my Sig P229 in .40. The PPS is the easiest to carry as it is so thin, and the 9mm even with +p loads makes follow-up quite easy. I couldn't say the same for the .40 PPS. The Kimber is also very easy to carry, and a little extra size/weight make the .45ACP no problem at all. Lastly, the Sig is an absolutely excellent shooter, has a much higher capacity then the other two, and being able to convert to .357Sig is a major plus... but is a little more difficult to conceal being wider than the 1911, and especially the PPS. I tend to rotate shooting and carrying all of them, and those are the choices that I have settled on so far as carrying concealed, and generally alter what I carry based on what I am doing. If I am in light clothing, the PPS works best. If I am transporting high dollar goods with a "Jack Me" sign on the roof in the middle of winter, hands down the P229 is getting carried. If I am in a bad area where the sight of a large hole in the end of a 1911 would be most deterring, then the Kimber comes out.

When it comes to a carry weapon choice make your own choice, don't let some total stranger make it for you. Chose the largest caliber you can shoot accurately and comfortably, conceal properly, and that you can afford. Initially clean your handgun thouroughly if it is new to remove all the gunk junk Gun Manufacturers think they had to pack a produce in. Then take it to the range and put at least four quality USA Made brands of ammo through it to see which brand it likes. If you encounter a few FTE's or FTF's it's most likely NOT the gun's fault! It could be your grip, it could be the type and manufacturer of the ammo used. Remember, it's your money, time, and effort, and above all - it is your decision alone...
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    And why not the Glock 23? Same frame as the 19.
    For several reasons. The Glock 19 has less recoil, holds more ammo, is easier to shoot accurately at speed (especially one handed), shoots cheaper ammo, and is generally more reliable and more durable.

All of the service caliber pistols make basically the same hole in a human body, so I see no need to go with the .40 over the 9mm.

Also, a few years ago my department had a rather bad experience with an attempt to transition to Glock .40s for duty weapons, from the S&W 3rd gen 9mms. We ended up with Glock 9mms in order to get a system that was reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Also, a few years ago my department had a rather bad experience with an attempt to transition to Glock .40s for duty weapons, from the S&W 3rd gen 9mms. We ended up with Glock 9mms in order to get a system that was reliable.
    This wasn't durring the mid to late 1990's and was the ammo in question 40S&W 165 subsonic? The downloaded subsonic 165gr. load has the distinction of being just about the only 40S&W load that will not reliably cycle in a Glock.

I have no experience with a .45, I do have some with 9mm and .40 s&w though. I shoot the 9mm much better and feel more comfortable carrying it. I would try a 1911 if that's what you want, but if you shoot the .40 better you possibly might want to stick with it. I don't think it's a good idea to carry a gun just because it's bigger. I'm not sure why some people crap on smaller caliber guns. I'm not saying that a larger caliber won't be more effective, just that a smaller caliber will probably be effective and there's no guarantee the larger one will be either.

1. Glock 30SF IWB at 4 o'clock with 15 degree cant and G21 backup mag.
    2. Glock 27 either IWB or right front pocket with G23 backup mag.
    3. Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm in the pocket.
    4. Bersa 380 Concealed Carry Model in the pocket.
    5. Hate to admit it, but when nothing else will work, Kel-Tec P3AT.
    6. Ruger SP101 357 mag IWB or pocket.
    7. Springfield Loaded Champion 45 ACP if I can open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    This wasn't durring the mid to late 1990's and was the ammo in question 40S&W 165 subsonic? The downloaded subsonic 165gr. load has the distinction of being just about the only 40S&W load that will not reliably cycle in a Glock.

No, this was 2006. The issue was quite the opposite. The mid range 165gr stuff would run fine, full power loads like the 165 and 180gr Gold Dot would fail to feed. The issue was, and currently most often is, excessive slide velocity.

BersaThunder45

I like the bersathunder45.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast