carry weapon choice - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: carry weapon choice

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Well, frankly, now you have heard otherwise.

Note tghis is not just my personal experience and guns, the issues with just the two agencies involved over 1000 guns. Then there are the numerous other agencies that have had issues.
    Please site the agencies in question.

3. I have 3 platforms for concealed carry, depending on what I'm wearing. The platform I carry most, and my preferred carry piece, is a Springfield XD9 (Service and SubCompact models) carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. I'm proficient with both and like that they are identical from an operating standpoint. Sometimes I carry a S&W 642 (38 Special) in a Mika pocket holster. My third alternative is a KelTek P3AT carried in a pocket holster for when I can't carry the larger platforms.

When I train I always work with each platform. They are very different and it takes continuous practice to embed muscle memory, fast response, logistics (IWB, pocket, etc.) to be able to perform quickly under pressure.
    Michael
    Las Vegas

I've carried them all Well all the big name's Glock, Sig, Colt, Springfield, STI, Baer, Brown.

I started with a Glock 30SF and then a G19 and I would shoot the 1911's at the range only and I found that the more I would shoot the 1911's the easier
    the shots came. Meaning I don't have to work at aiming a 1911, Like the other models so I started carrying a Dan Wesson CBOB and Loved it.
    So I now carry a ED Brown Special Forces. Why do I carry a Full size 1911?!
    Because I can shoot and place my shoots on a target any where I want from my hip and 0-15 yards and I can Take aim and shoot soda cans at 50+ yards.

So Buy and carry the gun you shoot the best!!

That's just my .02!

CHL/CWP Classes
    DPS/BCI/NRA Certified Instructor
    www.defensiveimpact.com

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Please site the agencies in question.

Those two were Topeka PD and the Indiana State Police. There are numerous others.

Example; Milwaukee swapped from the G22 to the M&P not too long ago after they had issues unresolved for over two years, on over 900 guns, then had an officer injured on duty when his gun choked during a gunfight. That was the last straw for them and they dumped the Glocks.

One of my side jobs is as an instructor for a company that does extensive low-light instructor training. For some time during every single class we had I watched G22s, particularly when WMLs were attached, choke during the live fire portion of the course.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Those two were Topeka PD and the Indiana State Police. There are numerous others.

Example; Milwaukee swapped from the G22 to the M&P not too long ago after they had issues unresolved for over two years, on over 900 guns, then had an officer injured on duty when his gun choked during a gunfight. That was the last straw for them and they dumped the Glocks.

One of my side jobs is as an instructor for a company that does extensive low-light instructor training. For some time during every single class we had I watched G22s, particularly when WMLs were attached, choke during the live fire portion of the course.
    Out of curiousity which model of weapon mounted lights were you using?

On the Indiana G22s there never were any lights used, same-same Milwaukee.

On our guns, for the K9 and SWAT guys, we used the M3, the M3X, the Glock light, and a prototype Insight light that was going to be the Xiphos but was renamed after production started.

In the Strategos classes I have seen every light available on the market.

The issue wasn't "which light" though, it was the guns. The lights just made the issue worse.

Pete

I carry a Ruger SP101 in 357 or a Ruger LCR in 38-P.I dont want any jams like I have seen in MOST autos!

Revolvers also "jam", and when they do it's not a tap-roll/rack-bang sort of fix, it generally requires tools.

In my observation the 3rd gen S&W 9mms and Glock 9mms have proven far more reliable than the S&W model 66s we used to issue at my job.

Stopage vs. Jam

Stopage = can be fixed durring shooting event

Jam = firearm is out of action and requires tools to fix

Examples,
    stovepiped round = stopage, tap rack bang drill and you are running
    double feed = bad stopage, tap rack no bang, lock rip work, reload magazine and shoot
    squib load in barrel = jam, gun out of commision, you are screwed, draw your BUG

11. My Gun of choice is my HK USP Full Version .40 cal I have now carried this piece for close to ten years.
    I have several holsters I like depending where I am and what I am doing.
    My favorite holster is my Safari land HK USP Model 518 paddle with the FBI Cant.
    I am righty and I like the fact the holster rides high on my hip and I never have a problem concealing my .40.
    I am brand new to your site so I am just learning about these new holsters that really hide your weapon. Looking forward to learning from you all.

Safety 56

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234