Ruger P 89

Thread: Ruger P 89

1. Ruger P 89

Anyone here have any firsthand knowledge of this gun? I've found a clean, sharp used one at a local shop, I like the feel of it, its size and heft is what I like. Double stack mags probably hold 13 or 15.... gun is clean, shows little wear and use, bore is bright and sharp, ramp highly polished, trigger is smooth, even, no catch, release is even. Slide and recoil spring seem to work well. I like the feel of an all metal handgun, felt recoil is much reduced over the plastic fantastic ones..... and I don't seem to have a problem with weight in carrying it.
    I know these are an older model, but that does not scare me... I have some early 70's High Powers I really like..... better than the newer ones.

anyone know about quality, reliability, accuracy, that sort of thing? Any known issues with them?

thanks... any help most appreciated.

I used to have one of these. I bought it when they first came out back round 1990 or so. I traded it for a SIG 225 because I wanted something a little thinner at the time. Well built and accurate. I think it's only down side is size. Some folks don't like the long take up and reset of the trigger, but it never really bothered me.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

I had one; best "out of the box" shooter ever! Not a very good carry gun since its so hard to conceal, kind of "clunky", but very reliable. You can get mags that hold 17 if you look for them. One of my boys claimed it as his own (with my blessing) when he moved out. It had around 5,000 rounds through it then; still a great shooter. Good gun for the money.

The first gun I ever owned was a P89 ,Good shooting gun but felt clunky and heavy compared to others,never had a problem with it after a few years of shooting it and leaving it in the truck with not the best care.

P89

I have a P89 and it is a great weapon. Not much for CCW though. Depends on how much you are going to pay for it. Ruger is a great choice for an inexpensive pistol.
    I now have bought the P345 which is a much slimmer version in a .45. It has a single stack mag and is great for CCW. You can buy them new in Spokane for 469.00.

Quote Originally Posted by dalefranzen View Post
    I have a P89 and it is a great weapon. Not much for CCW though. Depends on how much you are going to pay for it. Ruger is a great choice for an inexpensive pistol.
    I now have bought the P345 which is a much slimmer version in a .45. It has a single stack mag and is great for CCW. You can buy them new in Spokane for 469.00.
    Ruger is a great choice no matter the cost.

8. old reliable

I had one (decocker only model) for about 15 years. was very accurate and built like a tank

9. It's a Great Gun. If the price is right get it. I have a the Ruger p97 as a truck gun. It's basicly the same gun but in 45acp. Solid, reliable, affordable, American....