1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Manually lowering the hammer of a 1911 onto a live round is DANGEROUS -and IMO, stupid as hell. I do NOT ever, ever, ever do it. If I did need to lower the hammer for some bizarre reason, I'd unload the gun completely.

To do so, you must disengage 2 manual safeties and (if your gun uses the Series 80 safety) one automatic safety as well just to lower the hammer on to the firing pin that is now resting on the primer of a live round.

If that's not enough of a negligent discharge waiting to happen, to make the gun shoot, you gotta thumb the hammer back and 1911 hammers weren't really designed to be slip proof.

As far as storing a gun, I have 1 personal rule about that. If it is in the safe, in a rug, soft or hard case, it is unloaded. If it's anyplace else, it's loaded. The gun on top of the fridge is loaded, the one in the laundry cabinet is, too.
    Thanks for saving me some typing. I agree. From reading the other post it sounds like some folks would be more comfortable with a different weapon.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

USCG4good>>>>> Excellent , helpful post!
    Not trying to stir things up but I found it interesting that the Springfield manual advises to carry in "Condition 2". I know how the 1911 is supposed to carry. I guess the Springfields have a firing pin block (I think that is what it would be) to make carrying their guns in condition 2. They would bear liability if it was not safe to carry their 1911s that way. My comment here is just about what the manual said and not a comment on the best way to carry a 1911 that would be brought into service in an emergency. Good post +1 or maybe 2

I agree with the mass of posters who do not reccommend lowering the hammer on a live round.

Single exception; in all Mickey Spillane's books Mike Hammer "thumbed back the hammer on his .45". For Mike Hammer it was OK!

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I agree with the mass of posters who do not reccommend lowering the hammer on a live round.

Single exception; in all Mickey Spillane's books Mike Hammer "thumbed back the hammer on his .45". For Mike Hammer it was OK!

Damn! Mike Hammer..Mickey Spillane?! I am old but you might have obtained one of the first production 1911's back when they were first introduced!

Condition 1 here all the time! If I have to drop the hammer I put my thumb in between!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234