Wife;s Gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife;s Gun

1. My husband got me a 9mm M&P and I really like it. I didn't at first, but once I tried them all, I ended up disliking the gun I thought I had always preferred, and switching to the M&P. I also liked the 1911 he had, but the 45 caliber made me a little gun shy, and I figured that if I want to have a carry gun, it had better be something that I won't stand around wincing and squinting with before I fire. Also, I like the interchangeable palm swells. My hands are small and many guns are made for people with large hands. This way, my son and I can both use it for competition, and when I get my permit, I can use it for carry.
    I know there are a lot of diehards out there that "won't carry anything less than a 45". I am here to say that I don't want a hole put in me with either caliber, and I don't think it would matter much if I did. It is more important to me to carry a gun that I am comfortable with, rather than one someone else thinks I should be comfortable with. I'm not recommending a .22, but I am recommending that she find a reasonable caliber she is comfortable with.
    If your wife is fairly unfamiliar with guns, allow her to try a number of different calibers and styles. We borrowed some from friends, and used some from our own collection, and I learned a lot. It was a great experience. Another thing we have done is a family is join a local IDPA match. It's a lot of fun, and a pretty cheap night out. I realize that it isn't perfect practice, but it is more practical than range shooting, and gives at least an idea of what can and should be done in a bad situation.
    I have gone from being afraid of toasters and balloons, to being an adequate shootist, and someone responsible to, capable of, and willing to defend myself. I am still afraid of toasters & balloons, but I've learned that with a gun, I am in charge of when the "bang" happens, and I prefer that to the surprise of a balloon going off in my face.

A pink one maybe.

Let your wife pick

+1 Let her shoot as many guns as you can get your hands on, and then let her pick.

Gun choice is personal, and if she is happy and comfortable with her choice, she will be more likely to carry it and more comfortable using it 1) regularly for practice, and 2) in the event of an emergency.

I concealed carry every day (I'm a woman) a Kahr MK9 and I absolutely love the way it shoots, the way it feels in my hands, and the ease of concealability.

Good luck in your gun search!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12