Wife;s Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife;s Gun

1. Wife;s Gun

Can any one out there give me any idea:s on a good gun for the wife to carry concealed?

Would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Thanks Tom:

Quote Originally Posted by Drybread1946 View Post
    Can any one out there give me any idea:s on a good gun for the wife to carry concealed?

Thanks Tom:
    S&W M&P Compact 9-45,Ruger LCP,Ruger LCR,Kel-tek P32,Taurs 738 and so on... It really depends on what caliber she wants and if she is looking for a semi auto or a revolver.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

4. Thanks for the info, will check it out;;;

5. it also depends on if she is comfortable with firearms and how familiar she is with them. If she isnt I would suggest a nice Snub nose .38 . S&W 642, 442, etc. Revolvers - Smith & Wesson

Because god forbid she ever needs to use it and it has a misfire or a stove-pipe. with a revolver its not a problem. pull the trigger again and the next round goes off. The most important thing is to ask her how comfortable she would be if she used it. also its got a little kick too

A used S&W MD36 or an Airweight. I prefer Revolvers, I bought my girlfriend an S&W Airweight, she carries it in a Leather fanny pack that has a Holster inside of it cost $44.00.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Drybread1946 View Post

Thanks Tom:
    What can she shoot good and conceal that ain't so big or so heavy that she won't want to carry it regularly?

Sorry, but asking us this is not gonna do anything except have folks push their personal preferences or make some vague suggestion.

SHE'S gotta tote it, let her decide! Rent, borrow, ... anything that she takes a fancy to and let her get some first hand experience so she can tell you what to buy for her.

Take her to a range and rent a few guns for her to shoot and choose. However, you probably won't find many CCW guns for rentals. If you can borrow some from friends that would be your best option. Guys tend to want to steer Ladies in the direction of a wheel gun but some women prefer semi-autos. My wife HATES revolvers and won't shoot mine, thumbs her nose at my PM9, loves to shoot the HK USP Compact 9 and 40s that I have. She liked my Glock 23 but not the "baby" Glock 26. She says she wants a "real gun" which would be a Kimber Super Carry Pro in .45. Bottom line is that if you choose for her and she doesn't like it, it won't get carried. Our one friend bought 3 Charter Arms 38 Special revolvers for his wife and 2 daughters. All 3 shot them once, hated the triggers and told him to go trade them in on something else. I'd chalk that up to "he went cheap and he decided for them".

Semi-autos are more prone to malfunction due to limp wristing so a revolver may be the way to go. The minimum weight in a SW J Frame would be a 15oz SW Airweight. Even better is 14oz Ruger LCR 38 Spl or a 17oz Ruger LCR 357. I've owned a SW Airlite Ti which really stung at 11oz, a SW Airweight which was a lot more comfortable and now an LCR 357 - and would recommend the LCR hands-down over the J Frames. The LCR does an awesome job with recoil and the trigger is great.

I wouldn't recommend going .380 just as my preference. You also need to look at the ammo shelves around you to decide how abundant, scarce or costly different calibers are in your area. i.e 380, 38spl, 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybread1946 View Post
    Expose her to as many guns and types of guns as possible and let her choose what SHE is comfortable with.

Even doing that, it is likely that as she gains experience and learns more, she may change her mind about what is best. I don't know about you, but most of us have been through a few before settling on what works best for us.

My wife and daughter, fifteen years apart, after shooting everything out there, both chose S&W Model 60's. They liked the form factor and simplicity of the snubbie but did not like the sharper recoil of the Airweights. They don't mind the weight of the stainless steel Model 60. That would not be my thinking, but it is theirs and they have been happy with their decisions for quite awhile.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Expose her to as many guns and types of guns as possible and let her choose what SHE is comfortable with.
    That is the correct answer. Your wife has to choose what she is comfortable with. I "picked" two guns for my wife and she doesn't care for either one of them. It wasn't a total loss though, because I do like both of them .

The two guns my wife ended up w/ are a CZ-82 (9X18) and a Llama Micro Max (.380) (remember, the wife makes her own choice even if it's not one you'd agree w/.). They work for her she can fire both accurately and (at least w/ the CZ) I don't feel that she's under gunned .

Again, your wife picks her own carry gun.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

+1 on let her pick. You may be suprised. After shooting several, my wife decided on a Glock 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Loves both the gun and the holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast