Looking to by a .380 - Bersa .380 or Colt Government .380?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to by a .380 - Bersa .380 or Colt Government .380?

Looking to by a .380 - Bersa .380 or Colt Government .380?

Hello, would appreciate some opinions on a .380 purchase.

I am going back and forth between a Bersa .380 or a Colt Government .380...my dilema is that I really want to shoot this pistol (at the range) with some regularity and I don't know if I should spend the money on the Colt b/c it is really honestly a collectors item and the more I shoot it the more the value goes down...or so I have been told.

On the other hand I could get a Bersa, that would most likely be a great gun and definitely more affordable.

Would appreciate opinions/thoughts?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lukem; 12-20-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Bersa makes a "great gun" Im sure you wouldn't be disappointed if you got one. I find that my Ruger LCP is more than fine to shoot regularly, and I don't find it uncomfortable at all. Those with bigger hands than me may feel differently, but the LCP is really accurate and fun to shoot IMHO.

4. my wife shoots a Bersa Thunder 380. It is an impressive gun. Handles well for both of us. Never a problem with it. Well made in fit and finish. Accurate and fun to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate buying a second Bersa 380. (In fact I may...)

The Bersa is a great gun. I like it better than the Walther.

It has no sharp edges in the grip to bite my hand.

-Doc

6. Have you looked onto the Sig 232. It is a bit more expensive then the Bersa but it is a little easier not as snappy. I own both and but still prefer the sig. You will not be disappointed with either one.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Never fired the Colt, but the Bersa is a great little gun. I could shoot it all day and it is very accurate. I conceal carry it in hot weather with shorts and t-shirt and feel very secure with it knowing that it hits where I aim.

My wife also shoots it and shoots it very well.

My only beef with the bersa thunder 380cc is getting extra magazines. I have yet to find the 8 round magazine for it (even at Cabella's!). They can be bought from Eagle imports, though, which I what I plan to do. There's also some discrepancy as to which magazines go with which make of thunder 380. According to the factory, the 8 round magazine is made for the thunder 380cc and the 7 round and 9 round deluxe magazines are made for the "regular" thunder 380. I had purchased a 9 round deluxe mag with my 380cc and the last round would always result in a feed failure. According to bersachat.com some people have had a 50-50 success rate with switching around the magazines.

Other than that, I like it! I just like having extra mags handy!

i don't know Bersa !!

But i do know my brother-in-law carrys one , and qualifies w/it for he's federal firearms pemit for many yrs. and he really likes it . I have a Browning BDA 380 and it's very accurate and has never jambed on me. But the question to you is what fits in your had , don't buy anything that isn't comfortable !

Well by way of update, I went ahead and purchased a Duo-Tone Bersa Thunder .380 over Christmas. I picked it up yesterday and am very pleased.

I still need to oil it up and get it out to the range, but I think it is going to be great. It really fits my hand well, which was an issue for me with most .380's. that I had looked at...Kel-tech, etc. I will be interested to see what I think about the plastic grips, I am thinking I could see myself getting some rubber grips for it.

wooddoctor - I will look at the Sig232, good to know what else is out there, I had not looked at that.

Thanks to all for the advice, it was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by txlincoln View Post
    Hello, would appreciate some opinions on a .380 purchase.

I am going back and forth between a Bersa .380 or a Colt Government .380...my dilema is that I really want to shoot this pistol (at the range) with some regularity and I don't know if I should spend the money on the Colt b/c it is really honestly a collectors item and the more I shoot it the more the value goes down...or so I have been told.

On the other hand I could get a Bersa, that would most likely be a great gun and definitely more affordable.

Would appreciate opinions/thoughts?

Thanks.
    NO COMPARISION. The Colt is without a doubt the best .380 ever made, but I would opt for the Mustang over the Govt. Colts are hard to find. In todays world I would have to buy a Sig 238 as it is a "carbon copy" of my Mustang only with far better sights.
    Good Luck!!!
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast