Taurus PT1911 Getting Double Taps AKA Slam Fires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT1911 Getting Double Taps AKA Slam Fires

Angry Taurus PT1911 Getting Double Taps AKA Slam Fires

Greetings. I'd like some opinions on a problem I'm encountering with my Taurus
    PT1911. I'm getting double taps (slam fires) frequently. Is it me or the pistol? My right hand fingers are twisted considerably from rheumatoid arthritis and I'm wondering if I'm unknowingly not releasing the trigger or what else I could be doing to cause it. I had the sear and hammer replaced when it first happened, now it's doing it again. HELP!!! Thanks!!!!

I have heard this is a somewhat common problem with this firearm. I personally know one person who sent his back to Taurus for repair 3 times without resolution before giving up and getting rid of it. That being said I have no direct experience with the PT1911.

Good luck.

ETA: Not releasing the trigger would not cause this problem. Being a semi-auto it is only supposed to fire one time for each trigger pull and must reset each time.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForce20 View Post
    PT1911. I'm getting double taps (slam fires) frequently. Is it me or the pistol? My right hand fingers are twisted considerably from rheumatoid arthritis and I'm wondering if I'm unknowingly not releasing the trigger or what else I could be doing to cause it. I had the sear and hammer replaced when it first happened, now it's doing it again. HELP!!! Thanks!!!!
    While it is possible to bump fire any gun, pistols are much more difficult than rifles.

Taurus as a brand makes great handguns, but thats not to say that particular model doesn't have a design flaw.

I'm assuming that you keep it thoroughly clean?
    Have you let anyone else go through a couple clips to see if it happens to them?
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

In all probability it's the gun. Apparently Taurus has a lifetime warranty. Send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    In all probability it's the gun. Apparently Taurus has a lifetime warranty. Send it back.
    Thanks B2Tall. I've got a few more opinions recently and I think I'm gonna get the trigger pull increased a bit. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks AF20

7. Quote Originally Posted by AirForce20 View Post
    Your first problem: It's a Taurus, welcome to the nightmare.

Discontinue your use immediately. I'd suggest you have someone else look it over or shoot it, competent gunsmith is who needs this, so you can confirm that you've been a victim of Taurus' ongoing crappy and inherently user-dangerous products.

You may have one of several problems here. It could be some gunk in the firing pin retention port, it could be a bad firing pin spring (if yours has one), it could be a bad integral locking mechanism (if yours is in the mainspring housing, not sure about the hammer located versions).

My suggestion: Get Taurus to issue you a refund on their junk and buy something better.

It took me 17 weeks to get Taurus to issue a refund on a PT145 a few years ago and at the 17 week mark they still had not even unpacked the pistol from the shipping container. I've directed others to do the same and not tolerate Taurus claiming they don't have a legal department or that they've never heard of such a problem. Search the web and see if there's documented failures of this type and address it pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    I'm assuming that you keep it thoroughly clean?
    Have you let anyone else go through a couple clips to see if it happens to them?
    While keeping any firearm clean is important, we should also remember that the Taurus PT1911 does not use clips to feed ammo, it feeds its ammo from a detachable magazine. IIRC the only pistol that did use clips was the WWI era mauser "broomhandle".

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkfish View Post
    Your first problem: It's a Taurus, welcome to the nightmare.

Discontinue your use immediately. I'd suggest you have someone else look it over or shoot it, competent gunsmith is who needs this, so you can confirm that you've been a victim of Taurus' ongoing crappy and inherently user-dangerous products.

You may have one of several problems here. It could be some gunk in the firing pin retention port, it could be a bad firing pin spring (if yours has one), it could be a bad integral locking mechanism (if yours is in the mainspring housing, not sure about the hammer located versions).

My suggestion: Get Taurus to issue you a refund on their junk and buy something better.

It took me 17 weeks to get Taurus to issue a refund on a PT145 a few years ago and at the 17 week mark they still had not even unpacked the pistol from the shipping container. I've directed others to do the same and not tolerate Taurus claiming they don't have a legal department or that they've never heard of such a problem. Search the web and see if there's documented failures of this type and address it pronto!
    Like I said.....it's probably the gun.

Be careful Dorkfish.....there are people on this site that'll want to burn you at the stake for daring to suggest that Taurus isn't one of the best gun manufacturers out there.

10. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Like I said.....it's probably the gun.

Be careful Dorkfish.....there are people on this site that'll want to burn you at the stake for daring to suggest that Taurus isn't one of the best gun manufacturers out there.
    Well let me clarify then......

It's also been my experience that if you manage to obtain a "good" product from Taurus that you had better hang onto it...until it breaks. Then you're trapped into their customer service cycle that can be a royal pain. A wise man once told me: They wouldn't need a lifetime service or lifetime warranty if they made a quality product, now would they? Kind of hard to argue that point when you consider HiPoint has a lifetime fully transferrable warranty...and their products are clearly superior to everything else. (note my smarmy comment)

I had this very issue come up with one of my students of late. He asked about Taurus, I delivered. He had picked up a PT111 from someone I knew personally and offered to let me shoot it during the range portion. It shot quite well, so I told him it would be worth his time to hang onto it as I knew it had been successfully used in IDPA competition.

Even had a shop employee with a 92F copy that sheared off a barrel-cam lug at the thickest point during an IDPA practice session. (that's been a flaw in the 92F design for a while) His is getting a part replacement, then getting dumped. (been 3 months and he still hasn't received the part folks)

Their products just aren't what they used to be in the late 80's and early 90's. Nowhere near.

So let me be clear: If you wind up with a good Taurus, hang onto it, but know before you buy that it's clearly "buyer beware".

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkfish View Post
    Well let me clarify then......

It's also been my experience that if you manage to obtain a "good" product from Taurus that you had better hang onto it...until it breaks. Then you're trapped into their customer service cycle that can be a royal pain. A wise man once told me: They wouldn't need a lifetime service or lifetime warranty if they made a quality product, now would they? Kind of hard to argue that point when you consider HiPoint has a lifetime fully transferrable warranty...and their products are clearly superior to everything else. (note my smarmy comment)

I had this very issue come up with one of my students of late. He asked about Taurus, I delivered. He had picked up a PT111 from someone I knew personally and offered to let me shoot it during the range portion. It shot quite well, so I told him it would be worth his time to hang onto it as I knew it had been successfully used in IDPA competition.

Even had a shop employee with a 92F copy that sheared off a barrel-cam lug at the thickest point during an IDPA practice session. (that's been a flaw in the 92F design for a while) His is getting a part replacement, then getting dumped. (been 3 months and he still hasn't received the part folks)

Their products just aren't what they used to be in the late 80's and early 90's. Nowhere near.

So let me be clear: If you wind up with a good Taurus, hang onto it, but know before you buy that it's clearly "buyer beware".
    I disagree with your statement that they wouldn't need a lifetime warranty if the product was good. Springfield and HK both give a Lifetime Warranty, and I believe those are wonderful guns. All a Lifetime Warranty means is that they stand by there product for life. I worry about companies that only offer a warranty for 1 year. Because those are the ones that when something happens you are SOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast