1911 Recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Recommendations

I have a Colt Officer's ACP, but the prices even for used are kinda out of the range you specified.

I have 2 .45's now (Yea I know, one can never have enough) and the cost to feed them is getting kinda high. I'm looking at a 9mm in the 1911 platform and Rock Island makes one.
    I'd also take a look at the Springfield line...

Good luck and happy hunting...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Kimbers are good IF YOU GET ONE FROM THE LAST CENTURY. This century the quality is hit and miss. I bought one a year ago for a carry gun (TLE II) and I cannot trust it enough to carry it. It's become a safe queen.

FWIW, Kimber recommends ONLY THREE types of ammo for their guns. They also won't even listen to problems until you have wasted 500 rounds through the gun. Plus, the gun was showing significant holster wear after one week.

OTOH, my 1997 Kimber Compact has always been reliable.

Many modern Kimbers work well, but too many of them have a lot of problems.

Rock Island guns may not be perfect, but they are well built and have very good customer service.

If I were to buy another 1911 (which I'm not, I have five), I would look at Dan Wesson (if you can find one, and they are expensive) or Springfield.

Ken

I would recommend the springfield 1911 RO or any of the GI line, are you going to be using it for competition?

or just for fun?

you can also go with the New Remington R1 that is under 1000.

Kimbers have some also under 1000.

Then you have the Rock Island and the Citadel model they are as basic as you can get but still work well.

hope it helps.

5. I have a Springfield 1911 full size and a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II. Both are phenominal guns. They both easily hold 2" groups at 25 ft. I used to shoot my Springfield in PPC matches. 50 3" groups were not a problem. You can get a full size Springfield 1911 in your price range.

I'd recomend a Glock over any of the various 1911 clones.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I'd recomend a Glock over any of the various 1911 clones.
    Just shot a few rounds off a Glock 23 this past Monday. Nice piece, minimal kick, nice front/rear sights. Big difference from my 1911, hardly any kick. BUT, just don't like all the plastic. Would consider buying one even if it's plastic/composite what ever.....
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Just shot a few rounds off a Glock 23 this past Monday. Nice piece, minimal kick, nice front/rear sights. Big difference from my 1911, hardly any kick. BUT, just don't like all the plastic. Would consider buying one even if it's plastic/composite what ever.....
    I might "need" to get a G23 to match my G22 just because of your sugestion. Thanks for giving me the go ahead to buy another gun.

9. Quote Originally Posted by mikestunner View Post
    happy new year everyone!!! im looking to get into the 1911 platform for range and eventually my edc. there are so many out there that im confused. first off i dont and cant spend $1000 or more dollars for one now and if possible i would like to spend around $700 tops and thats pushing it! do anyone have any reccomendations on what and why and aslo i want a fullsize 1911 and not a gi model. thanks!!!
    A full sized 1911 (a 'GI Model' is a full size 1911 with no frills) for under $700 is very doable. Especially so if you happen to run into a good price on a slightly used but more expensive model. If you know what to look at and check, there's no reason not to buy a used gun. (Check the 1911 forums, there are several stickied posts with very good suggestions on what to check.)

What it comes down to is what features you want or need. The more you want/need, the higher the price is going to be. Things like a full length guide rod, match barrel, adjustable trigger, extended grip safety, thumb safety (with or without thumb shields and/or extended and wider), slide lock, mag well, .... Every one of those features and a dozen more will jack up the price.

1911's in particular and guns in general are a lot like cars. You can go buy a base model Mustang. You can also just buy a Saleen, Roushe, or Shelby Mustang instead. Most folks are happiest with something somewhere in between.

Personally, I'd go with something a just little more 'user friendly' than the stock GI Model. No need to go 'whole hog' and get the full race style gun if that's not what you need. Maybe with a beavertail grip safety (eliminates hammer bite for a better shooting experience), some of the 'tactical' (meaning they are still thin but longer than stock- not the gas pedal sized things that many match guns carry) extended thumb safeties (like Ed Brown's to give you an idea of what I'm talking about)- right side only if you are right handed or a set of ambi's if you are one of our left handed brethren- and better sights.

A service grade 1911 will outshoot the skills of most folks that own them anyhow, so don't worry about custom fit barrel bushings and upgrade barrels. Get is set up so it is comfortable for you and see what else you many or may not want.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I might "need" to get a G23 to match my G22 just because of your sugestion. Thanks for giving me the go ahead to buy another gun.
    Not a problem, happy to be of assistance. Heck if your down my way, Lowcountry of SC, we'll head to the range and bust off a few box's. PM me if your in the area!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Not a problem, happy to be of assistance. Heck if your down my way, Lowcountry of SC, we'll head to the range and bust off a few box's. PM me if your in the area!
    The price of gas and a six day a week work schedual kinda put a damper on that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast