First Handgun if you cannot acquire a .22
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Handgun if you cannot acquire a .22

1. First Handgun if you cannot acquire a .22

So basically, I'm looking towards the future when I can legally acquire for a pistol (premises) permit in NYC (and rifle permit hopefully, want to get a milsurp rifle). But in this case, I only want some advice on pistols. I've read on many sites that amateurs should buy a .22 cal pistol first as to learn proper handling techniques as they say that if I go straight to centerfire pistols, I'll develop bad habits. But being from NYC, I can't waste that valuable permit for a .22 pistol. So what could I do to mitigate these problems? Any advice?

Edit (1/30/11): So a few more questions since its gonna be at least 2 more year before I can get a car (Alright, so I was too lazy to learn to drive in H.S) as a prerequisite to "safely" transporting a pistol to the range.

1) (For NYCers) How is the interview at One Police Plaza like? Any trick questions etc.

2) I was ticketed three years ago (at age 16) by a transit cop for walking in between cars (which I immediately paid of the fine) and on the application, it says I must list all non traffic summons, is this one of them and how do you think this will affect by chances.

3) Would it be a better idea for me to take handgun classes prior to getting the permit (like going to a range upstate or on LI (outside city limits) and learn to shoot there before getting my permit. Or should I wait till I am able to decide on a pistol when I get my permit, and learn with that pistol (instead of rentals or whatever they using in the classes)?

Thanks Again

Cool Full size 9mm

Get a full size 9mm to keep the recoil down so you don't develop a flinch and ammo is cheap. Get a glock19, ruger SR9, beretta 92 or similar. Or you could get out of commie NYC and buy lots of guns like a free man.

Good luck.

I disagree with the whole "get a .22 to learn on" thing...especially for folks who live in some of the more repressive locales (and NYC certainly qualifies).

I say get a 9MM...and the list from Jes is a good one for a starter, though I have always been partial to Rugers for a first gun because they require a little more in maintenence than the Glock, for example (and the cost is about $200 less)...and I think one of the most important parts of learning is doing that maintenence and getting comfortable with the gun. A lot of dry firing practice is good and range time must be a priority even if you have to drive 2 hours once or twice a month.

Since I assume this is a "house gun", concealability isn't an issue, so if your finances permit it, you might even consider a bigger caliber than 9MM...but then range prctice becomes even more important.

JMO...YMMV

dusted Guest
    my first purchase was a .40 smith sigma. not the best choice because of recoil and trigger pull for a starter pistol but not horrible, as far as sink or swim learning goes ;). i have since purchased both 9 and .22 among others, and i would definitely recommend a 92fs for a starter pistol. just my humble opinion. a .22 is great for plinking, but is really nothing more than a glorified pellet gun. a large frame nine is easy enough for the beginner to handle, once again, my humble opinion

dusted Guest
    just checked out the nyc application guidelines and saw it costs 340.00 for the license fee and 95 bucks for fingerprinting. my new advice is move. anywhere but new jersey. i thought MA was bad.... $100 dollars for the fee, and the fingerprinting was done gratis, or at least included lol. I love New York, but not for the gun laws, that's for sure

1st - Move... Run.. Do not walk.. Forget the permit jerk around process.. I did and never looked back.
    2nd - IF you stay, check around at gun ranges (Yes NYC has some).. See IF they have rentals, or ask about instructors (That may have pistols to loan/rent).. Try to get some range time before getting a permit.. If necessary, travel out of town to a friend in a gun friendly state, and go to a range that rents guns..
    IF you get to a range, you can rent a .22 if you want and then a half an hour or an hour later or the next day, you can rent a .38 revolver or a 9mm or whatever..
    IF you're going to spend that much on a permit and wait that long, then spend a little on a class or instructor..

Oh.. Did I mention MOVE!!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by Sirf_palot View Post
    So basically, I'm looking towards the future when I can legally acquire for a pistol (premises) permit in NYC (and rifle permit hopefully, want to get a milsurp rifle). But in this case, I only want some advice on pistols. I've read on many sites that amateurs should buy a .22 cal pistol first as to learn proper handling techniques as they say that if I go straight to centerfire pistols, I'll develop bad habits. But being from NYC, I can't waste that valuable permit for a .22 pistol. So what could I do to mitigate these problems? Any advice?

You didn't say if a revolver was acceptable to you, but a .357 with a 4" or 6" barrel would also be a good choice; you can start with light .38spl loads and work up to the heavier stuff.
    George Washington: “They may pass a law to issue paper money, but 20 laws will not make the people receive it. Paper money is founded upon fraud and knavery.”

9. Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    1st - Move... Run.. Do not walk.. Forget the permit jerk around process.. I did and never looked back.
    2nd - IF you stay, check around at gun ranges (Yes NYC has some).. See IF they have rentals, or ask about instructors (That may have pistols to loan/rent).. Try to get some range time before getting a permit.. If necessary, travel out of town to a friend in a gun friendly state, and go to a range that rents guns..
    IF you get to a range, you can rent a .22 if you want and then a half an hour or an hour later or the next day, you can rent a .38 revolver or a 9mm or whatever..
    IF you're going to spend that much on a permit and wait that long, then spend a little on a class or instructor..

Oh.. Did I mention MOVE!!!

I do believe that in order to rent a pistol at the local range (in NYC, I only know of one in lower manhattan, unless I go out onto Long Island which is NY State), you must have a valid permit lol. As for moving, until I get my CPA license I probably can't move, probably only when I can get a job, I'll try to look for one that is out of state?

10. I would go for a 9MM, for the price and availability of ammunition.

Please double-check the legality of this before proceeding, but I believe you can add a .22LR conversion to a centerfire handgun without it being classified as another handgun: it's a non-serial-numbered part. I was told by my friendly local FFL that I could do this without amending my permit as long as I didn't carry/transport the pistol with the conversion kit on it. Take the pistol (in original configuration) and the kit to the range, swap the parts there, and it's all good. (Don't forget to swap them back before leaving for home.) It's a drop-in swap, and only takes a few seconds. Voila: best of both worlds. I'm considering this option now for my Glock 26.

I'm in NY State, though, not NY City. I would check the local regs very carefully before doing this.

If you go that route, I would suggest Glock 19 and Advantage Arms conversion kit.
    Last edited by toivo; 01-28-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: reword

In my opinion, a 4-6" .357 magnum would be a great gun to learn on. You can use light .38 special ammo for tartet practice, and also use heavy hitting .357 magnum ammo for defence.

A revolver might even be easier to register in NYC than a semi-auto... not sure though, just speculation on my part.

Win-Win-Win in my opinion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast