Magazine rattles

Thread: Magazine rattles

Magazine rattles

I have a XDM 45. When I conceal carry (only thing I can do in TX), the gun rattles when I walk. I have it a Serpa retention holster. I hate to rattle like this when I walk, makes people think my hip joint is loose or something and wonder why I'm rattling.

I traced the rattle to the magazine. It is not the magazine moving in the mag well. When I hold the magazine free, there's no rattle. when I depress the bullet a bit, it rattles. Not all of my magazines rattle like this. I tried different ammo (Speer GoldDot is normal carry, I tried some Federal HST), and in one case the rattle disappeared. These are all stock Springfield Armory magazines.

I haven't disassembled the mags yet but might tonight. I have two different vintages of mags - 5 were bought last August and are well broken in and used for practice. I got 3 more last month and are only used for defense ammo and are less used. They look identical. I haven't noticed a difference between the two. I haven't tried ball ammo to see if it rattles.

Does anyone have this problems? Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Also, does anyone have any issues with wear on the follower? I'm already noticing wear on the plastic where the rim rests. At this rate the follower will fail before the magazine does. Anyone know where to get replacement followers?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    I have a XDM 45. When I conceal carry (only thing I can do in TX), the gun rattles when I walk. I have it a Serpa retention holster. I hate to rattle like this when I walk, makes people think my hip joint is loose or something and wonder why I'm rattling.

I traced the rattle to the magazine. It is not the magazine moving in the mag well. When I hold the magazine free, there's no rattle. when I depress the bullet a bit, it rattles. Not all of my magazines rattle like this. I tried different ammo (Speer GoldDot is normal carry, I tried some Federal HST), and in one case the rattle disappeared. These are all stock Springfield Armory magazines.

I haven't disassembled the mags yet but might tonight. I have two different vintages of mags - 5 were bought last August and are well broken in and used for practice. I got 3 more last month and are only used for defense ammo and are less used. They look identical. I haven't noticed a difference between the two. I haven't tried ball ammo to see if it rattles.

Does anyone have this problems? Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Also, does anyone have any issues with wear on the follower? I'm already noticing wear on the plastic where the rim rests. At this rate the follower will fail before the magazine does. Anyone know where to get replacement followers?

Thanks.
    You probably are, but are you getting the mags to full compacity? I,m only asking because two of my Glocks do this if not full

Yes, of course, 13 rounds.

my mags do the same thing on my M&P. no matter what ammo is in. only thing that seems to help is by taking 1-2 rounds out of the gun. ( i dont like the idea), but tis the only thing i have found to help....

hope we find a good answer and fix, cause all 3 of mine do it, but my 2 for my xd do not do it period.

I have an occasional mag do this.

Often it doesn't matter if it is full or not.

-Doc