Kel-Tec & Ruger 380, Best Carry Weapons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec & Ruger 380, Best Carry Weapons

1. Lightbulb Kel-Tec & Ruger 380, Best Carry Weapons

I'm 54 and have been collecting and shooting pistols all my life. However, it was years before I realized that if my pistol was not light enough to carry everywhere, every single day, then I didn't have the right personal protection pistol. It doesn't matter how powerful a pistol is, if you won't carry it everyday, it is a poor Personal Protection choice, because the day you need it, you won't be carrying it.

Thus, I have been carrying the Kel-Tec and Ruger 380 pistols for several years now. I'm in a location where I can shoot every day and these two conceal carry weapons are great. They have only one thing that I had to modify to greatly increase their reliability. You must fix the magazine release button

I carry the Kel-Tec & Ruger in my pockets or a rear pocket holster. What you find is that your constantly pushing the magazine back in. The magazine release button is raised enough that it gets inadvertently pushed and you must constanly push the magazine back in. Other than this, in a close up confrontation, these two pistols will serve you well if you can handle the high pressure confrontation.

It is a very simple fix. I just used my grinder to grind the magazine release button flush with the handle. I have never had an unintentional magazine release since doing so. This fix dramatically increases the reliability of this weapon.

Subject: Kel-Tec P3AT & Ruger LCP 380 Magazine Release Malfunction

Click the YouTube link below to see the video I made showing my pistol after the magazine release modification. The magazine NEVER releases accidentally any more!

YouTube - Ruger, Kel-Tec 380 Clip Malfunction

kel tec and ruger 380 semi auto

I have not had the problem you have and I have both the kel tec and ruger 380.

By Ohio Law I have to carry my pocket pistols in pocket holsters, maybe that is the difference.

It would also make a difference which front pocket you carried the pistols in.

Just my 0.2 cents

Pat Olvey
    email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County

I haven't released the magazine with my LCP in an Uncle George holster (back pocket). When I first got the LCP, I did inadvertently release the mag when firing the gun (once).

I agree that it would be a bit nicer if the mag release button was on the bottom-rear of both guns though.

You guys like you Ruger LCP? I carry either my Kahr PM 40 or S&W mdl 42. I'm thinking about picking up a LCP. Just wondering about your thoughts. I have done my homework and have researched both the Kel Tec and LCP, both obviously have pros and cons. I also have friends with both, and also have friends which tell me they would never own or carry a .380.
    Last thing, I was at a Gun Show a couple of weeks ago and saw a Jimenez .380, (JA Arms), I read, somewhere, possibly on the box not to shoot hollow Points through this handgun. Is this so for the LCP?
    Thanks,
    Mike

We've had our LCP since Dec 2009 and more than 1,100 rounds down the pipe without a single issue... Easy to carry, reliable, and a good value.
    Daily carry: Sig P239 or S&W 3913
    High Noon Horsehide holster
    Black Talon ammo

7. I've had no issues with the clip ejecting, but I use a DeSantis nemesis pocket holster and carried for a couple of years with no issue...

AWESOME!! Thanks for the info especially on the pocket holster, probably going to buy an LCP this week some time.

One other question, what type of ammo and what load do you use when you carry?
    Mike
    NRA Member, Glock 23, Kahr PM 40, Tanfoglio GT 380, S&W mdl 42 .38, Ruger LCP .380, Colt Police Positive .38spl, High Standard Mfg Corp .22

I carry my Kel-tec w/crimson trace laser in a crossbreed IWB holster and shoot Hornady Critical Defence and never had a problem with it. I have shot less expensive hollow points also with no problem in over 1,000 rounds.

Best holster I have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    I haven't released the magazine with my LCP in an Uncle George holster (back pocket). When I first got the LCP, I did inadvertently release the mag when firing the gun (once).

I agree that it would be a bit nicer if the mag release button was on the bottom-rear of both guns though.
    Any issues with comfort while sitting on it? I'd be iffy on breaking the damn thing.

Went from a 1911 to a Warthog(compact 1911) to a Makarov and now a Sig 232 in 380. Fine shooter, accurate, and slim-what is not to like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast