More Concealable: Revolver or Semi Auto? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Concealable: Revolver or Semi Auto?

If keeping it concealed is your top priority, I'd go with a Ruger LCP/Sig P238 or S&W 442/642 in a pocket holster. The Ruger and Sig, while chambered in .380 and not 9mm, is highly concealable with the right holster. The 442/642 is nearly as concealable and offers more firepower than the LCP.

Try to get to a range that rents these guns and try before you buy.

Good luck!
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

You didn't really address what your preferred price target was for that one CC handgun (versus the multiples you might like to have). If it's swingable, you might like to wait for the SIG P290 to start shipping in quantities. Early pre-production samples have been reviewed favorably. P238-sized, five ounces heavier but chambered for the 9MM which gives you quite a bit more smack, especially with +P loads, when compared to the .380 ACP.

3X PM

A 442 does well in a pocket holster at times when carry of a larger pistol is difficult. I still prefer to carry a .40 or .45acp when possible.

A compact, single stack 9mm is more concealable than a J frame by it's very design although neither is difficult to conceal with thoughtful preparation. I carry a full sized 1911 on all but the hottest summer days and even then I can do it with an untucked or bloused shirt and an inside the waistband holster.

Quote Originally Posted by cam9910 View Post
    From a pure concealable standpoint, from these listed here, what do you think is the most easy to conceal? I've seen it discussed plenty (which is helpful) about the pros and cons of revolvers vs semi-autos and different calibers, but for my question here, what I am looking to hear is what is easier to carry most often? I dont have the funds to get a few different carry guns, so I have it narrowed down to either a .38 special J frame, or a small 9MM. Please let me know as I do not have experience with concealed carry. Thank you.

S&W 642 (or similar)
    Ruger LC9, KelTec PF-9, or similar.
    In my opiniion the 642 is the best choice, it is light yet has a good grip, you have 5 good cartridges to fire but most importantly it will not jam like a semi.

You can fire it through your pockets if you have to, another thing you cannot do with a semi.

I qualified a new ccw permit holder yesterday, I let him fire a smith 640 and a glock 27.

He said he liked the smith better because he could see the cartirdges in the cylinder and therefore could easily check to see if it was loaded.

Hope this helps

Pat Olvey
    email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County

Talking Firing Through Your Pocket

Quote Originally Posted by ohio pat View Post
    In my opiniion the 642 is the best choice, it is light yet has a good grip, you have 5 good cartridges to fire but most importantly it will not jam like a semi.

You can fire it through your pockets if you have to, another thing you cannot do with a semi.
    Well, you can fire a semiauto through your pocket. You'll likely get only one shot off before it jams, but you can fire it once. That gives the .38 Spl wheelgun a 5-1 advantage!
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.357Sig View Post
    Well, you can fire a semiauto through your pocket. You'll likely get only one shot off before it jams, but you can fire it once. That gives the .38 Spl wheelgun a 5-1 advantage!
    To prove my point in self defense using a 5 shot concealed hammer smith, like a model 642.

Try shooting a semi in your pocket, feel free after you expermiment to tell me if you had to go to the hospital for any hand injuries or if you had ample first aid items at home or at the range.

Hope this helps you see the light

Pat Olvey
    email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County

Hell. I wouldn't recommend carrying in your pocket w/o a holster, much less shooting one.
    BTW the wife (5'2" 110 lbs) tested a PPK & a Bersa Thunder both 380. The PPK was difficult to aim as the sights were rather small (not as small as the LCP) the Thunder jammed and would not shoot after the first shot so we shelved it for the PPK. The Bersa did have a nice feel & the recoil was manageable. Both concealed extremely well. The next try out will be the Ruger SR9 compact 17 shot mag 9mm. It felt nice in her hands & the sights were good, and retry the Bersa again

Here's my opinion after 4 decades of this.

1. Have a gun that is comfortable for you and you are proficient at handling.

2. Have only ONE concealed carry weapon TYPE.
    i.e. Don't switch to something with a different safety, etc., that you might not make work under stress.

3. Carry your same weapon, in the same place, with the same holster, EVERY TIME.
    i.e. Don't go reaching for a shoulder holster when you weapon is inside your waistband. Get it?

4. CONCEALED CARRY IS 70 % ATTITUDE, and 30 % clothes.

Ever see people that just look uncomfortable about something? Like the farmer who is in a dress suit? etc.

I carry a 1911 IWB all the time. period. Untucked shirt, even black T shirt or polos in summer. For tucked shirt tail carry I use a DeSantis or Galco tuckable. Close to the same. You want the thinnest leather possible to reduce bulk.

IWB holsters pull the gun into your flesh so bulging is minimized. It helps if you are a little chubby.

My winter clothing is not heavy, and worn loose and open front.

By the way, this isn't the movies.
    Remember, self defense is 15 ft. and happens quickly.

If you are confronted with more than 2 armed assailants, TIME will not allow you to get more than 2.

You'll probably never get to shoot more than 4 rounds.
    At that point they will be dead or you will.

There is absolutely no necessity for 52 rounds on your person.

If you act like you are in a fire fight spraying bullets, YOU will probably be charged with a felony, if you live.

There are lots of shooting techniques that most CCW instructors don't teach, or don't know.

Like:
    If the bad guy is 10 ft from you and he has a dozen innocent bystanders behind him. What do you do?

No BS, just hard facts.

re: Gordon Shumway.

Outstanding!
    It will be down and dirty, up close and personal.
    No cowboy and indians.
    No Rambo heroics.
    No swat tactics.

One assailant: empty gun into COM.
    Two assailants: pray while shooting closest one. Odds are not with you.
    Three or more: run like hell and hide!

Lots of innocent bystanders around: you are screwed.

Brain is best survival tool you have. Practice with it as much if not more than you do with your gun. When you practice, take time to critique (After Action Review) and think through "what could I have done that would have more effective at preventing me from getting hurt?" Prime Directive: I will go home tonight.

Gun does not make you bulletproof or immortal. Snuff it up,be a big boy and learn to live with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast