More Concealable: Revolver or Semi Auto? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Concealable: Revolver or Semi Auto?

First it is our obligation to do everything reasonably possible to prevent any shooting. BUT, don't get wounded for being overly cautious.

If a perp reveals a deadly weapon, we must believe that a drawn weapon is a blatant intent to use it.

Got bystanders behind the perp who is 10 feet away?

Learn/ practice falling to the floor and shooting upwards, so if there is a penetration or miss it will go over their heads. You are also a smaller target AND sometimes your dropping movement startles the perp just long enough for you to get a good upward angled shot.

If a perp turns away or runs away, you can't shoot him in the back. That is a felony.
    Try to reasonably avoid a situation that might later look like he is attempting to get away from you. If you shoot him then, That is a felony.

If a good guy has been wounded, maybe I'll tell about it in court.

The gazillions of shootings you have seen in the movies are NOT reality.

I'm with Cabrera, you need to go with the gun you can maniplulate and handle well. Then you can dress around the gun and figure out ways to conceal it.
    Basic Pistol Instructor
    Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Talking Lighten Up Francis...

Quote Originally Posted by ohio pat View Post
    To prove my point in self defense using a 5 shot concealed hammer smith, like a model 642.

Try shooting a semi in your pocket, feel free after you expermiment to tell me if you had to go to the hospital for any hand injuries or if you had ample first aid items at home or at the range.

Hope this helps you see the light

Pat Olvey
    email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    Lighten up Pat Olvey. I have ZERO intention of ever firing a semiauto through my pocket, but thanks for offering. And I never said it was safe to do so. I just said it could be done. Jeeeeeeeez.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

I always try to be as accurate as possible with any information I share.

As we, who think we are fairly knowledgable. make comments we should take into consideration that a shooter who is fairly new to self defense will do something strange like fire a semi from a pant pocket.

As more experienced shooters may realize the amount of stitches it will take to close up the webbing on a hand could be a whole lot.

Just concerned how remarks can be misunderstood.

thanks

Pat Olvey
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    email [email protected]
    Last edited by ohio pat; 03-13-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: correct typo

I like the Kimber 9mm Solo, Colt New Agent/Defender, Ruger LC9.
    I also like the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Modern semi-autos can be carried safely with a round in the tube.
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

Best "rule" of all..... Avoidance if at ALL possible. The BGs have a double advantage on you. 1) They already have a "plan", you only have a reaction plan and hope it is suitable to the situation. 2) BGs do NOT play by the rules. You have to, unless you wish to spend some time incarcerated for defending yourself. (... and NO, life is NOT fair!)

Bye the bye, I, too, prefer a revolver for day to day carry. No muss, no fuss. No jams. Few moving parts. Autos? I carry them in the vehicle (for firepower) and have them at home in strategic locations for use.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Best "rule" of all..... Avoidance if at ALL possible. The BGs have a double advantage on you. 1) They already have a "plan", you only have a reaction plan and hope it is suitable to the situation. 2) BGs do NOT play by the rules. You have to, unless you wish to spend some time incarcerated for defending yourself. (... and NO, life is NOT fair!)

Bye the bye, I, too, prefer a revolver for day to day carry. No muss, no fuss. No jams. Few moving parts. Autos? I carry them in the vehicle (for firepower) and have them at home in strategic locations for use.

GG
    Well said.

One thing I have observed is that in an instantaneous moment of suprise that even an experienced person can go fubar.

Second on this advice

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Not at all. I researched my 1st for several months before deciding.
    Things to take into consideration:

1. Gun Fit - The gun MUST feel right in your hand.
    Go to the gun shops, some with ranges have rentals. Try different calibers. & models. Judge the iron sights. try the trigger pulls. A gun that doesn't feel right shooting, is useless to carry.

2. Carry Preference - IWB, Shoulder, Smart Carry, Cell Pal, etc. Once you have satisfied #1, figure out #2. When you find the right fit you will know.
    My wife is waiting for her CCW, in that last 5 months we have been testing guns (so many guns) for here to carry. All price ranges. She would pay more to like her gun so that she would not need to replace it.

If money is a concern, don't rush it, do your homework. In the end you'll be glad you did. (buy right, buy once) BTW check out Buds Gun Shop
    Good luck.
    Original poster sounds a LOT like I did when choosing my first weapon. Ok I haven't read the rest of the thread but this is good advice above. Find a range close to you that rents handguns and try them out.

I researched on this forum and others to find a good reliable one gun type setup (due to finances as well) and had what anyone said would be 2 good choices. I went to a range and found that I could not shoot either of them well due to what is stated in number one above. I have small fingers and had trouble reaching the trigger on the guns that were my top choices. Had I not taken the step to go to a range and rent both guns I was DAYS from making a $600 mistake.

If you don't have the funding for a handgun collection it pays to rent them first. I haven't bought anything from Buds Gun Shop but they do have GOOD prices and my 2nd handgun will likely be purchased from them (I've held it during a trip to a local store so I know it fits my hand).

The best choice depends on several factors.

What is the body build of the ccw holder?

What type of clothing does the ccw normally wear?

Will the handgun be carried while working?

Does the permit holder have permission to carry concealed in banned premises? If so what is the dress code for those premises?

Whatever the choice is by the ccw holder will that specific handgun alwarys be carried and in the same place?

There is no one fit for all, many of the posts that are in this section mention some of the best choices.

The permit holder must take all of these points into consideration.

Always remember, with the issuance of the carry concealed permit comes with it the responsibility to carry legally.
    Pat Olvey, Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    email [email protected]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast