+1 mag extension legal in 10 rnd mag?

Thread: +1 mag extension legal in 10 rnd mag?

Question +1 mag extension legal in 10 rnd mag?

Hello, it's been awhile since I've been active in shooting but now I'm catching up on the laws again. When the high capacity laws started (1994 or so?) I think I recall being told that +1 or +2 mag extensions could be placed on preban mags (for example, making a 15 into a 17) but that if I had a ten round "postban" mag it would be illegal to make it into a higher capacity mag. In other words, 10 round mags had to stay 10 round mags to be legal.

Was this true; and if so, is that still true? I have a Glock 26 and just took my CWP test awaiting the ability to carry concealed. I am interested in getting something like a Pierce +1 mag extension but am wondering if that will make the mag illegal.

Does your state allow you to buy a Glock 19 with a 15 round magazine or only a 10 round magazine. If you lived in California I could tell you that it is illegal to mod any magazine to hold more then 10 rounds. So I believe if you state allows you to buy a Glock 19 with a 15 round magazine you should be safe adding a +1 or + 2 Pierce mag extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootus View Post
    Hello, it's been awhile since I've been active in shooting but now I'm catching up on the laws again. When the high capacity laws started (1994 or so?) I think I recall being told that +1 or +2 mag extensions could be placed on preban mags (for example, making a 15 into a 17) but that if I had a ten round "postban" mag it would be illegal to make it into a higher capacity mag. In other words, 10 round mags had to stay 10 round mags to be legal.

Was this true; and if so, is that still true? I have a Glock 26 and just took my CWP test awaiting the ability to carry concealed. I am interested in getting something like a Pierce +1 mag extension but am wondering if that will make the mag illegal.
    Yes it was true, but is no longer so. Durring the AWB years, manufacturing a 10+ magazine out of a restricted capacity magazine was illegal. The law is no longer on the books, however as the other poster said, check state laws.

I'm good in SC then.... no laws like that on the books. I was aware that the federal laws had a 10 year expiration date when they were made back in the '90s, but didn't know if that had been changed/extended this decade.

Thank you for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Hootus View Post
    I'm good in SC then.... no laws like that on the books.
    Yes, you are. I did not see that you were from SC, that is correct that there are no such laws for this state.