Taurus PT709 Slim

Thread: Taurus PT709 Slim

1. Taurus PT709 Slim

I just recently bought a Taurus 709. I was nervous about it at first since it has a floating barrel that is loose when the slide is back, i thought it would jam. But now that i have it and almost 200 rounds through it. FMJ or hollow point dont matter. This gun has not had a single issue.

When I first shot it, it shot low and left. i centered the shot and its still low with no more adjustment. BUT if you shoot this gun ONE HANDED, it is EXTREMELY accurate. It seems to be set to be accurate off the recoil of one hand shooting.

This has replaced my Hi-Point C9 as my carry gun. The Hi-Point C9 is an EXCELLENT gun and dont let anyone say its not. But the Taurus 709 is sooo thin till concealed carry is EASY.

Anyone else have any experience with the 709's? What holsters are you using, ammo, likes/dislikes?

I just picked one up myself. I haven't had any chance to get to the range with it yet. Got a box of Winchester WB. I have read that, at least on the first batch they need a 200 rd break in, and now that I already bought the ammo, I have heard the extractor doesn't tend to grab onto the WWB brass so well. But I have also read that my have more to do with the ammo than the pistol. I have a DeSanti pocket holster on order. I have read good things about those because they say in your pocket better on draw. The Uncle Mikes, and Blackhawk holsters just have a 3/4" to 1" strip of sticky on the holster to keep it in your pocket, and can sometimes lift out easy on draw. That is what I have read, no experience. The DeSanti is is all sticky material on the outside, so just by that, I would expect it to stay put, and it looks like it will cover the trigger area quite well.

4. ...

ok i'll be honest...everyone bashes winchester white box. but i have NEVER had a single problem with it in 9mm. and i've only ever seen 2 FTF in a .45cal. i've tried about all ammo, WWB is basically the cheapest. i've NEVER had a problem with it. i dont understand these people saying its crap. its never malfunctioned for me and all my friends use it also.

hope u like ur 709 as much as i do, i'm gonna take a look at the holster u mentioned.

Well, that is good to hear. This is my first 9mm, I have a .40 and a .45 and I do prefer the WWB with those, and agree that I have never had an issue with them in those guns. One is a Glock, the other is a Beretta. I tend to automatically go to WWB because it is 1) a known brand name that has been around for years, 2) it is typically cheap, 3) everyone seems to carry it who sells ammo, and 4) when I find it, I love to get the 100 round boxes which usually costs about the price of a box and a piece for the amount of two boxes. :)

It could be that the reported issues with WWB and the 709 were first generation issues with the extractor maybe not biting deep enough. I did see some anecdotal reports of people sending in their 709s for a repair or two here and there and reporting back extractors being replaced. But nothing specific if these issues were related.

I was researching pocket 9's and got it down to the 709 or the PF-9 from Kel Tek. Nothing wrong with the Kel-Tek per se (not going to bash it), but I liked some of the features of the 709 better. The manual safety, the SA/DA trigger with the ability to double tap a hard primer. A tactile loaded chamber indicator. All those were features I really wanted to have but didn't think I would be able to find, but there they all were on the 709. The only thing missing is night sites. But some glow paint will take care of that. Just have to get up to Cabella's to get some or see if maybe Academy has some.

Good luck with yours. I got that holster through Midway. They had the best price.

6. ...

I think most gun malfunctions are human error. i have a hi-point c9 that i would put against any glock anyday. its has outperformed MANY top guns in the past and has thousands of rounds through it. but one of the complaints is it jamming. brand new, the magazine holds 8 rounds. BUT if u load 8 rounds into a NEW magazine, it WILL jam. u have to put a couple hundred rounds through the magazine with only 7 rounds loaded. let it break in. thousands of rounds and never had a single problem. EVER.

the taurus 709, holds 7 rounds, so to begin with i only loaded 6 rounds. i now can shoot 7 rounds without a problem. by doing this, i eliminated the initial STRONG magazine spring from jamming the first round. never a single issue with this gun.

i trust my life with my hi-point c9. i carried it everyday. then got a new job with new dress code and needed something thinner which made me pick the 709.

so if u DO have any problems, try loading less into the magazine at first.

I now have about 1000 rounds through my 9; no problems. Like most, I have shot WWB with NO problem. ( My every day carry ammo is Glaser Blue tip)

I carry the slim everyday in a Nelson C90 IWB holster. I like it because I can comfortably carry all day and it holds it's shape upon draw. I recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by Musician83 View Post
    I just recently bought a Taurus 709. I was nervous about it at first since it has a floating barrel that is loose when the slide is back, i thought it would jam. But now that i have it and almost 200 rounds through it. FMJ or hollow point dont matter. This gun has not had a single issue.

When I first shot it, it shot low and left. i centered the shot and its still low with no more adjustment. BUT if you shoot this gun ONE HANDED, it is EXTREMELY accurate. It seems to be set to be accurate off the recoil of one hand shooting.

This has replaced my Hi-Point C9 as my carry gun. The Hi-Point C9 is an EXCELLENT gun and dont let anyone say its not. But the Taurus 709 is sooo thin till concealed carry is EASY.

Anyone else have any experience with the 709's? What holsters are you using, ammo, likes/dislikes?
    compared to the Hi point just about anything is thin, i'm sorry i couldn't help it, honestly I have a Hi point 45, along with several other,s but I have never had any working problem with it, on the 709, very nice gun, wife and I have two, shoots about all ammo, but they don't seem to like the Nato 9mm, they even shoot that steel case stuff, only thing is we got ours when they first hit the dealers and extra mags were hard to get, so we called taurus, they ripped us off for $85 dollars for two mags can yo imadgine that stuff, we still like the guns, good luck with yours