Told By Gun Store Employee Not To Carry Anything Bigger Than 9MM - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Told By Gun Store Employee Not To Carry Anything Bigger Than 9MM

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by recoil357 View Post
    I was recently in a local gun store and an employee there told me that I should not carry anything larger tham a 9mm. I laughed at him and quickly got someone else involved in the conversation.
    Sounds like they don't want to sell very many guns.

It could be worse. We could be living in Mexico where the maximum caliber size for private citizens is .380!

Personally, I like .380, but I also like the many other, and sometimes larger choices we have in this country.

I really don't know that much about 9mm vs .40SW ballistics.

My opinion, completely subjective, without empirical merit, is that between those two calibers, bullets are bullets. A 9mm isn't insubstantial of course, but if there is less energy there is less energy.

If there was some guy on PCP coming at me that wanted to eat my face off, I would prefer to be holding a Glock 27, because it is likely that it will inflict more crippling physical damage and stop someone who is basically a zombie and won't respond to pain/panic.

If there was some crazy shooting up the mall and I felt compelled to take this guy out, I might prefer the Glock 26 because it will hold one more round.

I got a Glock 27 for the former hypothetical situation. When I buy another gun I might spring for a 9mm because of the price of ammunition.

I hope these points were helpful and added to the ongoing argument. Please take them with a grain of salt, I am not an expert obviously, I just wanted to share my opininions for the benefit of the group. That's why we are here isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    I really don't know that much about 9mm vs .40SW ballistics.

, bullets are bullets.

I just wanted to share my opininions for the benefit of the group. That's why we are here isn't it?
    Blackie,
    1) a gun that goes bang every time
    2) and hitting a vital area are the most important.
    -------An eyeball hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 44 magnum.

3) Carry the largest caliber that you can quickly and accurately shoot. So practice often.

4) If you are faced with more than two armed assailants, you will be shot, period. Accept that.

Also seriously consider that IF you are in any armed encounter, you might be shot. Seriously shot, maybe dead.

Seriously consider if you want to do all you can to avoid a confrontation, or press the issue and be a cowboy like in the movies.

5) In a gun fight you will probably never live long enough to shoot more than 4 rounds. If you do shoot more, you will probably be charged with a felony for spraying bullets all over the place, and you better pray that no innocents got hit. Who needs 10>50 rounds?

-------You can't miss enough to win a gunfight.

Contollable?
    I listened to a gun dealer selling/pushing a 22 revolver to a woman telling her that more people die from 22s than any other caliber.

So what? In the 20 minutes it takes them to bleed to death, they are going to do you a whole bunch of bodily harm.

ME? 45 acp.
    Extremely rarely 32 acp. (I can draw and fire 8 into a paper plate at 8 feet in 2.2 seconds)

Hope this helps someone.

6. Quote Originally Posted by recoil357 View Post
    I was recently in a local gun store and an employee there told me that I should not carry anything larger tham a 9mm. I laughed at him and quickly got someone else involved in the conversation.
    Sounds like he had a BUNCH of 9mm and pocket guns in the back room that he needed to move.

Just because they work there doesn't make them an expert. It's like those auto parts store employees that think they are mechanics.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234