Pocket 380s as your main carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket 380s as your main carry

I carry an old Smith, I agree its not my favorite one to shoot but you can hide it better than a 45 or 40.

My primary is a S&W 642 with +P's. However, it gets carried in an ankle holster in my boot, especially in the summer, as it's HOT here in Texas. Therefore, I also always carry a TCP738 in my pocket, which makes it the fastest and easiest to get to if trouble happens. I'm confortable with it, as it has about 400 rounds through it, and it works good on brand name ammo, but not so much on the cheap Russian stuff. With Winchester, Remington, or Federal HP's, it's perfect so far. Come cooler weather, the 642 goes to an under the shirt shoulder holster and the 380 goes in the boot holster. I NEVER, EVER worry about the 642, but still always carry the 380. I'll never feel secure without carrying 2 guns.

I had seriously considered this myself at first but eventually settled for a XD9 sub compact. I could not really find any 380 that seemed to have reasonable mag capacity (beside Bersa) and when I shot a friends BERSA the recoil was actually quite unpleasantly snappy, more so than in my 9mm.

The point I was trying to make is not weather the 380 is a capable caliber, I was just saying I personaly do not think that they are enough gun for a main carry, that is my personal opinion, if a guy or lady wants to carry one for whatever reason thats there choice, my main reason for the post was that if you are determined to carry a 380 no matter what the make, get that gun to a range with a load of ammo and shoot it till your fingers hurt from loading the mags,( honestly this rule should apply to most semi autos no matter what the caliber, that you intend to carry for personal protection) then after 2 or 3 hundred rds if the gun is giving you any fits, any at all, sell it, trade it or keep it for something to shoot at the range, but do not carry it unless you are 110% confident in the gun to function correctly when you may need it most

I shot my KelTec P3AT about 200 rounds or so, had a little "fluff and buff" done on it, and its shot without problems 100% of the time. I rarely take it out at the range, its just not a gun I enjoy shooting. Sooooo, your theory stands.... LOL!

If I were to carry a 380ACP, I would use the 102gr. Remington Golden Saber round in it.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsdeal View Post
    My primary is a S&W 642 with +P's. However, it gets carried in an ankle holster in my boot, especially in the summer, as it's HOT here in Texas. Therefore, I also always carry a TCP738 in my pocket, which makes it the fastest and easiest to get to if trouble happens. I'm confortable with it, as it has about 400 rounds through it, and it works good on brand name ammo, but not so much on the cheap Russian stuff. With Winchester, Remington, or Federal HP's, it's perfect so far. Come cooler weather, the 642 goes to an under the shirt shoulder holster and the 380 goes in the boot holster. I NEVER, EVER worry about the 642, but still always carry the 380. I'll never feel secure without carrying 2 guns.
    Not trying to sound like a Mister Know-it-all, but I would not give your Taurus a steady diet of steel cased ammo. JMHO.

Pocket carry a .380? Not even mice use them any more.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I carry my PK380 daily and shoot at least once a month. I right now I'm shooting just for new brass to reload and my next outing I will have shot 1,000 rounds.

Arrow SGB's mouse vs. NavyLT's dog

Vs.

My pick is on NavyLT's dog Daisy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast