Pocket 380s as your main carry - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pocket 380s as your main carry

Me myself, I would never carry a .380 as a main carry. Im a fairly big guy, and I can easily conceal a full size handgun. My mentality is that im going to be carrying a gun for worst case scenarios, last resort type of situations. I want something that will take out a threat ASAP. Im not condemning a .380 and I might even consider one as a BUG or a third gun, but im not too sure I would trust it with my life. Yes its better than nothing, but if I can carry a full size gun, I will, and when I cant conceal, I will open carry.

My concealed carry choice is a Sig P238. At age 70, I find myself appreciating less weight. The Sig P238 developed a bad rep in its early production...and its reputation was deserved. I was an early adopter and I paid the price. But this gun is now completely reliable. Because of it's light weight and small size, I can carry it OWB, IWM, in a pocket holster, or in a SmartCarry holster under my elastic-waist shorts. While the effectiveness of the .380 round has been debated ad nauseam, I'm satisfied that if I place my shots where they need to go, my odds are good. For me, that means practice, practice, practice. Fortunately, this gun's locked breech makes it a softer shooter than .380s with a blow-back design.
    Last edited by Old Zebra; 05-14-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling error

I also carry a Sig Sauer P238, with 13lb. recoil spring. Hornady Critical Defense ammo with 2 extra mags. I have put approx. 600 rounds through her without a hiccup. I can put a smile on a target at 15 yards. I'll drop someone if necessary. No problem. Here in Central Texas it is a great primary carry in the summer. Great on the boat, also. With my Taurus Judge Public Defender for the snakes.
    "I got you in a Stranglehold, baby. And then I crushed your face" -Ted Nugent

I EDC a 642 in a pocket holster today. For many years I CCWd with a Walther (Interarms version) PPK. My main objection to the current crop of polymer superlight .380s is their light trigger pull. I am just not comfortable shoving a gun with a 5# trigger pull into my pocket, holster or not. The only .380 I have found (I am sure I haven't tried all of them!) to possess a comfortable (8 lb) trigger pull is the BERSA Thunder CC.

6. I like and carry my Bersa .380 with rem 95 grn ammo. At the range only and carry hp's in when in the public. I hav e carried them all .45 38 ,40cal . I shoot at least once a week all . I believe one well placed round is the only one you need. The 95 grn remington round will go thru a 3/4 inch plywood at 30 feet. Thats all I need.

My wife and I both carry Walther PK380's with Speer Gold Dot Ammo. I have matched my reloads to the weight and speed of the Gold Dot's for our practice shooting. I am lucky and have my own range to use right here at the house.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I EDC a 642 in a pocket holster today. For many years I CCWd with a Walther (Interarms version) PPK. My main objection to the current crop of polymer superlight .380s is their light trigger pull. I am just not comfortable shoving a gun with a 5# trigger pull into my pocket, holster or not. The only .380 I have found (I am sure I haven't tried all of them!) to possess a comfortable (8 lb) trigger pull is the BERSA Thunder CC.
    Add Kahr P380 (8# trigger pull.) Nice piece. Very expensive though, at this price ($500+) you can get a nice, and effective, pocket 9MM.

I carry a Bersa 380 all the time and have put about 700 rounds with no problem. I have also shot about a 100 through a Sig P238 and I'm saving for it!

I got my LCP a about 3 months ago and have put over 400 rounds through it. The only problems I have had with it is chambering the first round when loaded with Speer GDHP. I haven't found the LCP all that bad to shoot, though I am not yet as accurate with as I am with my Springfield XD9. I have fired a KelTec and IO Hellcat which are both very similar to the LCP, but I found BOTH much less pleasant to fire due primarily to the different shape of the trigger guard ...I quickly got a blister on my trigger finger firing them where that does not happen with the LCP. I primarily carry the LCP with JHP ammo because it is easy to conceal even in shorts and t-shirt. The challenge will be accurate shot placement, though I am getting better with it.

I am probably going to buy a Ruger LC9 for a little more stopping power when I am wearing clothing that will conceal it ...my thought is that I would be able to easily go back and forth from the LCP to the LCP depending on clothing without having to think much about which gun it is ...trigger pull, etc would be very similar. When going back and forth between the LCP and the XD9 at the range, I find the XD trigger far too easy to pull after handling the LCP, and fear that could be a problem if I am switching between the LCP and XD as carry weapons.

I carry a TCP .380, using Speer Gold Dot loads. I suggest four big things to help it go boom every time...

1. Fire it as often as possible. Running around 100-200 rounds through each time.(what you can afford)

2. Polish the ramp with a Drimmel(spelling?) tool, decreasing the steep ramp as much as possible without taking too much off so as the round won't load.(use common sense)

3. Clean the gun completely after every use, further than just field stripping.

4. Lube the gun often... this doesn't mean A LOT of lube... just often.

I have found doing these things will maintain and improve your guns reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast