M&P with a safety, why not
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P with a safety, why not

1. Question M&P with a safety, why not

My question is, if you're going to buy a M&P pistol why not with a safety. The cost is the same, it's in a very convenient location. This would allow you to CC with the safety on and after you become comfortable carrying, it could be carried with the safety off, if desired. I also know that under pressure the less that needs to be done the better, for home defense the safety could be left off.

Also, couldn't the safety be removed at a later date.

I know buy a Glock, the safety is between your ears!!
    An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!

M&P with safety

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    My question is, if you're going to buy a M&P pistol why not with a safety. The cost is the same, it's in a very convenient location. This would allow you to CC with the safety on and after you become comfortable carrying, it could be carried with the safety off, if desired. I also know that under pressure the less that needs to be done the better, for home defense the safety could be left off.

Also, couldn't the safety be removed at a later date.

I know buy a Glock, the safety is between your ears!!
    I agree: why not?

I think that if it gives you peace of mind when you are first learning to use the gun, then it serves its function.

I highly recommend that one work up to using the gun WITHOUT the safety as I subscribe to the notion that a manual safety lever is not needed on a pistol that has DA capability. As you said in your initial post, the less that needs to be done under stress the better. I am a little confused that you note that the safety will be off for home defense ... is wielding your firearm when NOT at home any less stressful?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: We train so that our responses are reflexive. Train for consistency. If you have to disengage the safety in some situations but not in others, will you remember which situation requires what action? Do you want to spend precious moments figuring that out?

I have nothing against Glocks, but a Glock feels very different from an M&P. Go with what feels good in the hand, and what you shoot comfortably and well.

Best,

4. Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    I am a little confused that you note that the safety will be off for home defense ... is wielding your firearm when NOT at home any less stressful?
    My only point, this is an option, one might not be as concerned about the safety off, when not carrying. I agree with you that "Train for consistency" is the best policy. I was just pointing out the option.

I own several rifles and shotguns.... old to guns.... new to handguns and CC. Many decisions to be made, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, good points

Been there done that with my M&P 9C, I hated it and sold the firearm and picked up a non thumb safety M&P 9C.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Been there done that with my M&P 9C, I hated it and sold the firearm and picked up a non thumb safety M&P 9C.
    What about the gun with the safety didn't you like? Do you know, could the safety have been removed instead of buying a different gun?

If that floats your boat go for it. My carry guns are all DA/SA and they all have a safety ( well, one has a decocker) I never use the safety unless I need to stop firing at the range.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I have a M&P 40 with a Frame Safty. I love it. Ihave not had a problem with clicking off the safty, but i was brought up on shooting a 1911. Your right that my best safty is between my ears, the second best safty is at the end of my right hand, and the third best is on the frame of my firearm. In my opinion on safty, is the same as women, the more the better!

I purposely bought one with a safety because my military background with the m9. Drawing and depressing the safety in the same motion for me has become a muscle memory thing for me and I don't want to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    What about the gun with the safety didn't you like? Do you know, could the safety have been removed instead of buying a different gun?
    It was not for me at that time. There really is no need for a external thumb safety on an M&P other then for looks and to meet commie state gun list demands. The S&W M&P is loaded to the hilt with safety's as it is, mag release safety,hinged trigger, firing pin block safety,loaded chamber peep hole ETC..

The thumb safety can be removed but then your left with a hole in the frame where the safety use to be, it will also void your warranty unless a S&W authorized service center does the work.

Why buy a M&P with a thumb safety if you just plan on removing it at a later?

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

11. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Why buy a M&P with a thumb safety if you just plan on removing it at a later?
    If I buy a M&P with a safety, I don't plan on removing it. I was just checking, in case I didn't care for it, could it be removed. Just looking at my options, was wondering if it would be possible without major modifications. The loss of warranty would be of major concern, good point.

Thanks for your reply!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast