Kel-Tec ... confidence level carrying loaded w/ no safety - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec ... confidence level carrying loaded w/ no safety

Quote Originally Posted by Centerhold View Post
    Thanks guys ... appreciate the info. The little Kel-Tec seems like it owns the reasonably priced mini-380 market.

One last question ... how does it compare to the new Ruger mini-380 ? Dimensions are about the same ... the Kel-Tec is obviously a proven design with the rotating barrel ... not sure if the Ruger uses this design or is a straight blow back ? Which way would you go ... Ruger or Kel-Tec ?

John (PS - I lied ... how's the trigger pull on the Kel-Tec (I hear its pretty good for a DA - under 10# ?)
    The trigger pull on the P3AT is 5 lbs. I think its a good mix between the long travel and trigger pull. I shoot another 50 rounds through mine today and it has a long but very smooth trigger.

One thing to remember with the Kel tec is the trigger has 2 reset points. You actually feel two clicks before its ready to fire again. The first flick resets the disconnect and the second resets the DA trigger pull. If you pull the trigger, after the first click but before the second it'll actually drop the hammer from a half cocked position. This causes a light strikes and a misfire. Other then that I really like mine.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I carry a PF-9 everyday/everywhere (shhh don't tell the "gun-free" zones) with an IWB holster.

It's not going off unless I pull that trigger. I like carrying DA's for that very reason. A round isn't going to just go off in a DA any more than it will just go off sitting in the box it came it.

I also have an XD I carry on occasion. Now that gets cocked. Even with the safety I sometimes get preoccupied with "what if" thoughts like when I sit in a movie theater and realize the muzzle is aimed right at some guys head. Never had any problems though and I've tried to get it to fire. Not pointed at somebody's head but at home with snap caps. You can see the pin at the rear of XD's so you'd know if it fired.

4. Question

I carry a Kel-Tec 9mm I do not use a holster I use the clip that attaches to the gun. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the clip. I find it to be very comfortable. I have a closet full of holsters and none match the comfort of the clip. I do not have one in the pipe thoughts???

I would not feel comfortable without one in the chamber. I would not feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber and not having the trigger covered. But remember you asked for our thoughts and this is MY opinion.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Carried the P-32 until the P3AT came out. Always have a round chambered and have had no problems. I agree that one must have a holster that covers the trigger and trigger guard. I used a couple of different ones but really like the kydex holster from grandfatheroak dot com. I had one that broke and they replaced it for free.:icon_mrgreen: I started out with the guru pocket holster which worked well but was bulky in jeans.

I carry a KT .32 with SilverTips in this holster in the cargo pocket of my shorts, breaks up the print. Ron Graham holster, I have a few of his for the .32...

Jim

Don't hit the trigger and it won't go off.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

9. I use something simiilar to the photo above. I would not hesitate to carry it in my pocket without a holster though, as long as nothing else was in my pocket.

+1 to one in the pipe. Unloaded guns scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerhold View Post
    Guys ... I'm just old fashioned I guess. I plan on buying a P3AT for pocket carry & am just uneasy carrying something that I don't have control over a safety lever. Has anybody ever heard of a Kel-Tec misfiring or going off accidentally (from jarring, dropping ... or for any reason at all ?) Pocket carry is awfully close to an area I wouldn't want to take an accidental discharge if you get my drift & I'm curious to hear from those with experience with this design as to your confidence level.

Many thanks !!

John
    I leave my P3AT in an Uncle Mike's No. 2 Pocket Holster all of the time whether carrying, on the shelf, etc. I think it would be nigh unto impossible to have it fire while in that holster. (Also, when I draw it, there's no conceivable way that snagging the trigger would fire it since the trigger would be pulled toward the front of the trigger guard.) I feel totally safe with it and it breaks up the outline even in the pocket of thin sweat-shorts which I'm into a lot here in Arizona since the temperatures are already headed for the triple digits.
    Last edited by gvaldeg1; 03-31-2008 at 03:51 AM.
    MOLON LABE

I was at a Gun Show and started talking to a local SWAT officer that carried a KT 380 for a BUG and was buying one for his wife....His had one in the pipe at all times..

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast