.45 ACP or .357 Magnum Small Carry Guns - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP or .357 Magnum Small Carry Guns

1. I carry both .357 and 9mm... I prefer conceal carry with my 9mm with 147gr hallow point...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenas View Post
    Really??
    Broke his hand shooting a 45 ACP???

With all due respect, he is either a liar or a *****.
    I wont call somebody I do not know a liar, but if you told me you broke your hand shooting a G-36 your definatly a ***** and just as likely a bullshiter

The Ruger LCR in 357 is a nice little gun for under $500
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
    willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by grousetrapper View Post
    I am in agreement that 9mm is a much better choice for small concealable weapon. There are a lot of choices from pocket pistols to medium sized pistols, and ammo is cheap and easy to find.
    Scale is the key ingredient regardless of caliber. Here's what I mean. A small frame gun in comparison to its caliber has the same net effect. a Glock 36 conceals well, but will not be as enjoyable to shoot as say a Glock 21 or a Colt Govt. .45. Similarly, a Kel-Tec PF9 is a ******* to shoot because of the relative mass of the gun. Put that same 9mm round in a Springfield Armory EMP and shoot til the cows come home. Neither my Sheriff friend nor I are *********, but the PF9 is a stinger.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Scale is the key ingredient regardless of caliber. Here's what I mean. A small frame gun in comparison to its caliber has the same net effect. a Glock 36 conceals well, but will not be as enjoyable to shoot as say a Glock 21 or a Colt Govt. .45. Similarly, a Kel-Tec PF9 is a ******* to shoot because of the relative mass of the gun. Put that same 9mm round in a Springfield Armory EMP and shoot til the cows come home. Neither my Sheriff friend nor I are *********, but the PF9 is a stinger.
    The 1st time I fired an AMT Backup in .45 ACP single-handed(.230 grain JHP +P) I whacked myself in the forehead with the front sight.

In the same vein I am currently purchasing a pistol gripped Maverick 88(Mossberg) 12 gauge shotgun.

Some like it hot.
    Last edited by Luvs.357; 06-16-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Some like it hot.
    True Happiness is a warm .45 ACP or .357 Mag and an ice cold Sun Drop Cola. ME

I really enjoy shooting my G36. I've put a lot of rounds through it. It's fun to shoot. It's a soft shooter. If someone broke his hand shooting one, he would have to be extremely delicate.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

8. I call BS on the broken hand. Tell him to send it to me, I'll "test" it out for him.

I love my G-21 but it is hard to dress around especially in the Texas heat.

I like the G-30SF, just haven't played with one enough to plunk down my money.

The G-36 is a small package, and seems perfectly manageable to me.

From the choices you listed, I would say none of the above. AMT is back on the market with a new Backup but I haven;t heard how much it has improved over the original.
    Μολών Λαβέ

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

My Kahr P45 loaded with super-velocity RBCD Platinum Plus .45 ACP 90-grain TFSP (Total Fractionating Soft Point) 2036 fps/828 Flbs suits me just fine; backup is a S&W Airweight 628 with RBCD 38 Spl. 60-grain TFSP rated at 1975 fps/385 Flbs.
    Action is always faster than reaction; happiness is a warm gun.

You seem kinda set on 45? I just read another post in a different forum and the guy had a Bersa UC 45 and several thousands round thru it with no problem whatsorever.

I have a Glock 30SF, and all I can say is this: if one cannot handle a 30SF, they will not be able to handle a .357 Magnum either (unless they shoot some light .38's out of it). I purchased the 30SF specifically to replace the .357 Magnums that I was carrying, and it does a good job. The only load that is really not comfortable out of it is the 230 grain Hornady TAP +P. I normally keep it loaded with 230 grain Remington Home Defense rounds and I can shoot these pretty much all day with no ill effect. I also do not find the muzzle flash to be too extreme, and I shoot indoors quite a bit. The main disadvantage is the it is a little hard to dress around in warm weather. Better than the Glock 21SF in that department, but still a rather wide pistol. I recently purchased the CCW undershirt made by 5.11, and it carries both the Glock 30 SF and the larger Glock 21SF and 20SF just fine. I was talking to the guys at the guns shop this weekend, and they knew that I was carrying, they just could not figure out where (I did not have my usual vest on, and I was carrying both the 20SF AND the 21SF).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast