.45 ACP or .357 Magnum Small Carry Guns - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP or .357 Magnum Small Carry Guns

1. I used to have a Colt 1991 compact, essentially an Officers model. Slim, compact and not too heavy. It wasn't hard to handle at all and didn't blind me in low light situations; good trigger. Only 6 rounds but quicker to reload than a revolver and the reloads conceal better too. I will second what was said about the muzzle flash & reduced velocity from a snub nose revolver. Your just not getting that much more performance with the full-house load than you would with the .38spl +P. If you really don't trust the 9mm go with the .45ACP.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; 08-04-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling

For now I'm not carrying.

I am still buying guns and holsters.

Am I making mistakes YES.

I bought a Cobra derringer and regret it Immensely (the owners manual says don't dry fire this firearm,don't carry or store this firearm loaded. Que Es Esto?)

One purchase I am very happy with is my Taurus Judge Public Defender 2" SS .45LC/.410.
    True Happiness is a warm .45 ACP or .357 Mag and an ice cold Sun Drop Cola. ME

My Rock Island compact .45 may not win any awards in the looks department but it is boringly reliable. My SP101 carries even better. I love em both. I do like the fact that I have a couple of more rounds in the .45.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenas View Post
    Really??
    Broke his hand shooting a 45 ACP???

With all due respect, he is either a liar or a *****.
    Seriously now, he broke a bone in his hand. He said after 50 rounds his hand hurt pretty bad. When it kept hurting he went to the doc & got an Xray which showed a stress fracture. Nothing bad but it made his hand hurt.
    Of course I did offer to buy it if he ever wanted to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure I could take the pain.
    Friends help you move. Real Friends help you move bodies!

I am now leaning towards a Taurus SS M85 5 shot .38 Spec +P and a Taurus PT145 or PT745 .45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenas View Post
    Really??
    Broke his hand shooting a 45 ACP???

With all due respect, he is either a liar or a *****.
    +1
    I'm 65 and shoot my G36 and a Dan Wesson 357 all the time while breaking nothing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From a Marine Sniper -- "you can run but you will just die tired"
    Semper Fi

With no sights, horrible trigger, and shotty reliability the AMT backup is exactly the firearm I want the other guy to have. A few people have sugested the G36, you could do worse than to take their advice. Get yourself a Glock.

I like Glock I had a G30 .45 ACP I loved it but later gave it to my Dad.

I am buying a pair of Taurus handguns(M85 .38 Spec+P revolver & a PT145 .45 ACP) for about what another Glock would cost.

Besides I love Taurus.

Best accuracy of any of my handguns is by far my Taurus 617, which is a 2" barrel .357 Magnum. I've shot a lot in my time (I'm now 61), and can shoot it all day long with 158gr SJHP. It is a handful, but nothing extreme (not even close to a broken hand). While I also love my 4" barrel Beretta Px4 9MM, I'm just more accurate at the same distance with the .357, which is generally about 15-20 yards (I can put all 7 rounds in a 2" circle at that distance fairly regularly, as I'm a weekend shooter pretty much every weekend). I'm considering adding a .44 Magnum to my collection, specifically for carry in the woods as better protection from bears, which to all accounts are getting more numerous and more aggressive and less afraid of humans. I've seen a few, but haven't been challenged by any yet. All the advice I'm getting is that you do NOT want to try facing one with 9MM, and probably not even with .357 Magnum. Also want to make sure I'm carrying fully jacketed solid ammo on woods carries, as expansion is not so critical as is bone crunching penetration on anything as tough as a bear.

11. I have a full-size 1911 and a Ruger GP100 in .357. Although I love the .45 the 125 grain .357 Mag is hands-down the best choice for self-defense. If you can hack .357 Mag recoil in a small frame revolver, go with it. (By the way, you might also look at the Ruger SP-101 for a .357...better quality for a good price.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast