.45 ACP or .357 Magnum Small Carry Guns

I am looking at options in small carry guns:

1)Used or New AMT Backup(I figure $300-525) .45 ACP
    2)New Bersa Thunder (I figure $300-$520) .45 ACP
    3)New EAA Windicator 2" snubby(I figure $275-290).357 Magnum

What do you good folks think?

Anymore as good or better options?
    Last edited by Luvs.357; 06-13-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: a was unnecessary
    True Happiness is a warm .45 ACP or .357 Mag and an ice cold Sun Drop Cola. ME

Well. just my opinion but those small, lightweight, high caliber guns will really beat up your hands.
    My brother in law shot his Glock 36(?) which is a small .45 & he told me it broke his hand shooting it the first time.
    He hasn't even shot it since then & there in lies the problem. You just won't want to shoot it much if at all.
    If you are going to get a .45 or .357 then just get the slightly bigger & heavier version. It will help keep the recoil down so your hand doesn't get beat up.
    Friends help you move. Real Friends help you move bodies!

I agree with the good Captain. But I'd like to add this: With the shorter barrel, you get a lot of blowoff / muzzle flash. This means that instead of the burning powder pushing your bullet up to a higher velocity through a 4-5 inch barrel...it pushes up to a lower velocity through a shorter barrel and the rest "burns off" outside the barrel.

So - if you want a smaller carry gun, you might as well get a smaller caliber. Lots of sites out there that have ballistics info that can help you make your choice.

I agree with the Capt.

It took a little while to get used to the Glock 30.

I have finally got 500+ rounds thru it.

Using two hands, I can now manage the recoil enough to do 100-150 rounds a practice session.

-Doc

For a 357 I prefer my Ruger SP101. It does weigh quite a bit more than the one you mentioned, but it does tame the recoil considerably. If I were going to go with a small light weight semi auto I would look at a 9mm. The Ruger SR9C I have shot and it is a very compact pistol. If you are looking to go as inexpensive as possible look at the Keltech pistols. New prices for their compact 9mm's are very reasonable.

7. ??

Really??
    Broke his hand shooting a 45 ACP???

With all due respect, he is either a liar or a *****.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Stevenas:206184
    Really??
    Broke his hand shooting a 45 ACP???

With all due respect, he is either a liar or a *****.
    Hahahaha. (Sorry, but that's funny right there and your a liar if you claim otherwise)

9. 9mm Luger

I am in agreement that 9mm is a much better choice for small concealable weapon. There are a lot of choices from pocket pistols to medium sized pistols, and ammo is cheap and easy to find.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Luvs.357 View Post
    I am looking at options in small carry guns:

1)Used or New AMT Backup(I figure $300-525) .45 ACP
    2)New Bersa Thunder (I figure $300-$520) .45 ACP
    3)New EAA Windicator 2" snubby(I figure $275-290).357 Magnum

What do you good folks think?

Anymore as good or better options?
    I don't know about the other 2 but I'd ALMOST rather carry a half a brick than a AMT Backup in .45. I sold one at the shop I worked at when they first came out and the trigger pull was about 20 pounds. From what the owner said, it was horribly inaccurate (small grip+super heavy trigger pull= bad accuracy) and kicked like a mule. It would work for a So Close They Get Powder Burns "Get up off me NOW" gun but I don't know about at a distance.

No disrespect meant to any of the above posters.
    I absolutely HATE 9MM without +P or +P+ it has no hope of matching a 185 grain JHP .45 ACP or a 158 grain JHP .357 Magnum(standard pressure).

I had an AMT Backup and yes it kicks like a Bank Mule and had a hard/tough trigger pull.

I have heard good reports about the Bersa .45s and I enjoy shooting my EAA Windicator in .38 Special/.38 Special +P, .357 Magnum is more challenging but 2-3 speed loaders full is fun but not something I want to burn 200-250 rounds of.

The only complaint I have with the EAA is it's incredible weight for only a 2" snubby.

I need a small .45 ACP or .357 Magnum to ride in my shoulder bag( I plan to carry the Windicator in a Day Planner or kidney carry holster OWB and a PT-1911 in a Tactical Briefcase.)

Don't get me wrong I do appreciate all of your responces, Thank You.
    Last edited by Luvs.357; 06-14-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: More detail was necessary
    True Happiness is a warm .45 ACP or .357 Mag and an ice cold Sun Drop Cola. ME

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast