What's the recoil on a Desert Eagle really like? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the recoil on a Desert Eagle really like?

Due to the weight of the gun, grip design, and slide action my DE 50 AE shoots like a +p round through a 1911. That being said, it is not an ideal choice for animal protection. It is not an easy weapon to manipulate, and doesn't compare in power to the other .500 calibers.

3. While on subject, do not ignore the S&W 460 XVR, another formidable revolver that will also shoot stout 454 Casull and 45LC. Perceived recoil of the latter is so mild I'd compare it to shooting 38SPC thru a SW686.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer:211545
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    My father on law got a sw500 last christmas...

It's intimidating to shoot at first. The concussion can be felt through my whole chest. Even though it's massive, after 25 rounds I still wasn't sore. I could probably shoot that thing all day if I had the money. I'm 5' 10", 185lbs, athletic build. My wife and mother on law (both 5" 115 lbs) shot it once and stopped, but I believe they could have gone more if they really wanted.

though this is the .500 mag, not the 50 ae, I would guess it's about the same (.500 is bigger, but the desert eagle slide action might give it a good kick too).

Go to a range and see if they have one to rent. Look for some of the gun shows around your state that still have these kind of guns (ie: machine gun show in albany oregon). If not to purchase a .50 cal, then just for fun!
    The 500 S&W mag is twice+ the round the 50AE is, look up the ballistics and bullit energy numbers
    I know the .500 mag is bigger, I said that in my post. But the design of the desert eagle being a semi auto, and still using a .50 caliber round could be pretty intense. Never shot a desert eagle...but a sw 500 wasn't bad after the initial nervousness. I don't feel like looking up ballistics right now anyways...:-)

Between the pistol's size and the gas opperated mechanism, the recoil is absorbed by the pistol quite well. As with any semi-auto, don't limp wrist. It is true that the 50AE is not as powerful as some revolver cartidges, 454 Casull, 460S&W, or .500 S&W Magnum. All in all the DEP is not a bad gun.

The 44 Mag version is not all that bad to shoot. Friend of mine had one and we shot it quite regularly...Heavy gun and heavy slide eats up the recoil... I agree with another poster on the ammo issue. They do require full house mags of good quality to cycle reliably... Federal American Eagle 44mag 240gr worked well...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

7. The recoil would never even come to my mind if a huge animal was about to make ME its main entree of the day. (I think the adrenalin would make that 50 feel more like a 22 in a heartbeat!)

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    As with any semi-auto, don't limp wrist.
    Would it matter being as the gun is gas operated? Bill T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12