.380 as a Primary Weapon - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: .380 as a Primary Weapon

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    Glock 23 as my primary and Bersa Thunder for extra. Or vice versa whichever one is nearest my hand.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    I have been known to carry a Colt Government .380 full of Sabres, usually in the summertime. It fits in the small of my back just perfect under a shirt or t-shirt. I have a soft spot for this pistol.
    I live in S Fl. so that is my EDC. and I love it.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Here is a question I ask of all my CCW students; "How many cops are out there carrying a .380 as a primary self defense weapon?"

    Answer: None

    And, there is a reason for that. Generally, the .380 cannot stop the actions of a determined BG - not enough "oomph." And, if you try it against a drunk or high attacker, it's just gonna piss 'em off.

    Take a hint from the cops - minimum caliber for a revolver - .38 special; minimum caliber for a semi-auto - 9mm.
    I stopped a wild boar with 3 rounds from my Colt .380.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

  5. #14

    .380

    I ordered a sig p238 a few weeks back and am still waiting for it to come in. I plan on using this as my primary carry weapon and my Glock 23 when im not concerned about concealing issues. I guess we will see how this works out.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Here is a question I ask of all my CCW students; "How many cops are out there carrying a .380 as a primary self defense weapon?"

    Answer: None

    And, there is a reason for that. Generally, . . . .

    Take a hint from the cops - minimum caliber for a revolver - .38 special; minimum caliber for a semi-auto - 9mm.
    Actually, There are several reasons, 1) The LEO is not concerned about concealed carry and is allowed to carry as big a weapon as possible out in the open. 2) The LEO has more chance/opportunity if you will, to have a run in with some pretty bad people., and 3) Most departments have standardized caliber requirement.
    However, we are of course talking about the US. In Europe until fairly recently, the 32 ACP - lowly of the low - was carried and considered prefectly adequate for LEO use.

    Now back to the OP's original question, which was not about caliber adequacies, but about how many people carry a 380 and what kind. . . .

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    Actually, There are several reasons, 1) The LEO is not concerned about concealed carry and is allowed to carry as big a weapon as possible out in the open. 2) The LEO has more chance/opportunity if you will, to have a run in with some pretty bad people., and 3) Most departments have standardized caliber requirement.
    However, we are of course talking about the US. In Europe until fairly recently, the 32 ACP - lowly of the low - was carried and considered prefectly adequate for LEO use.

    Now back to the OP's original question, which was not about caliber adequacies, but about how many people carry a 380 and what kind. . . .
    Very well put.

  8. #17

    ElsiePea

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    My Ruger LCP is my full time carry summer and winter in my front pocket. I have an old German Walther PPK/S which is more accurate and pleasant to shoot, but it's just too big. I'd rather not belt carry.
    I too carry an ElsiePea with a Crimson Trace as my EDC. I find it so easy to carry that I always have it on me. I love my CZ40B but like in your case, it's just too big and hard to conceal so I didn't carry it much. I have 2 extra LCP mags full of Hornady CD.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Who all carries a .380 as either an every day carry weapon, or as an occasional primary weapon?

    I used to carry a SIG P232 as a backup weapon. I sold it after some reliability issues. I currently have a Beretta 85FS Cheetah that I have been carrying as a primary more and more. The weapon has not malfunctioned yet, and feeds anything that I have put into it. I am currently loading it with Remington Home Defense loads for carry, with the spare magazine loaded with FMJ. The Beretta would not be my first choice if I am heavily dressed (that is what my Glock 30SF and Glock 21SF are for), but with Summer here, I am finding that the Beretta is often the only pistol that I have on me when I leave home.

    Attachment 3844
    Punch,
    Please explain the issues you have had with you 232. I am just wondering what I should be looking for. I use my 232 as a back up now and had reloaded and shot close to a 1000 rounds with no misses. Curious as to what the issues were.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Punch,
    Please explain the issues you have had with you 232. I am just wondering what I should be looking for. I use my 232 as a back up now and had reloaded and shot close to a 1000 rounds with no misses. Curious as to what the issues were.
    I owned my 232 during the post election ammunition shortages. I purchased it as a "pocket" pistol, and I have always been a fan of Sig Saur pistols. The thing shot Gold Dots with no problems. The problem was that I often could not find Gold Dots, or any other HP for that matter, in .380. I could, however, get tons of Hungarian .380 and some Russian .380. For some reason, the primers seem to be harder on these loads than the US loads, and the little SIG had some problems with ignition. Thankfully, it is a double action and most would go off on the second try. Unfortunately, some of the Hungarian stuff required three or four tries to fire. I also could not get the SIG to reliably feed Hornady reloads that I was using. So, what I ended up with was an excellent pistol rendered useless by crappy ammunition (always a weak point of semi-autos). I ended up trading the SIG for a Smith & Wesson Model 36 revolver, which would shoot anything that I put in it.

    Things have changed now with the ammunition situation, and I often miss that little SIG.

  11. I found that the wolf primers as I reloaded (made in Russia) are harder and as a result, I think, primer strikes seem lighter. I stopped using wolf primers and strictly use CCI. I believe your assessment is quite valid based on what I have seen. You can't beat the good old wheel guns. I still love my SW Model 36 for a back up as well.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast