.380 as a Primary Weapon - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 as a Primary Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by TlWheatley View Post
    Shot a .380through several types of clothes
    ,denim etc,on a gel. .380 didn't do much through bulk. Hollow points were even worse. Why go .380 when you can carry LC9 or equivalent? Might as well carry a 22, aleast it will bounce around alittle.
    I'd think folk in Kentucky wear shorts and tee shirts as much as us up here in West Virginia. Tee shirt ain't slowing down a .380 or anything else. Practice and deliver doubletaps and it's fully effective at a typical self defense range. Granted colder weather brings more clothes, that merely provides better concealment for more firepower on an as needed basis. Nearly half of the year a .380 is plenty, and over half of that is all that can be concealed easily. There are some especially small 9x19s like the LC9 or the Keltec, but they shoot like cheap undersized guns same as their .380 variants. I'd like a P238 type pistol in 9mm for colder weather.

I have yet to find sufficient evidence to convience me to not carry and trust a .380 for CCW. It's not the "best" option... but with modern loads and well placed shots it will be effective.

I have circumstances that require me to carry a small gun... a very small gun. So, something like a LC9 or PF-9 are too large. The TCP and LCP are what works for me.

CALIBERS -- The Gun to Carry When You Can't Carry a Gun: .380 Advocacy Article
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    And since I have never been attacked by a block of jello, I don't put a lot of faith in tests on jello.
    And nobody who knocks the .380's power wants to 'lend a hand' (or arm or leg) in the jellos place for proper testing of their silly theories...

As has been said before, it is WHERE you hit them more than What you hit them with!

A 380 ripping thru a major vessel, or CNS target, puts them down faster than a 45 thru empty lung.

Big calibers have the ability to penetrate better, and reach the "Off Buttons" more reliably than smaller calibers. That is the only real advantage they offer.

You ultimately need to move to a rifle to get more far reaching damage due to energy.

If the old 1911 is to bulky and heavy, you might not have it when you need it in the warmer weather. Better to HAVE a 380, than to have left old hawgleg in the safe.

“You should not have a favorite weapon. To become over-familiar with one weapon is as much a fault as not knowing it sufficiently well. ." -Miyamoto Musashi.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    Now back to the OP's original question, which was not about caliber adequacies, but about how many people carry a 380 and what kind. . . .
    Amen!

I also have a Beretta 85. It is the standard F model, not FS. I just got the Alessi Talon Plus for it today. I'm not a bit afraid to carry it, haven't been for the 10 years I have owned it. Runs perfect, have had no failures. A sweet gun. With two spare mags, I have a 22 round load out (I load my mags one short). 22 rounds of Gold Dot ammo does not seem wanting to me. I'd hate to get shot with it. If you like it, run it. I have many other handguns, all in larger and more powerful chamberings, but I have never benched the Beretta because of the low horsepower when compared to the others. I carry mine all the time. May have to carry it more now that I have that excellent holster.
    Say when.

Now back to the OP's original question, which was not about caliber adequacies, but about how many people carry a 380 and what kind. . . .
    Would you agree that when people make a decision to carry a firearm, caliber is part of the selection process? If you do, then you might also agree that "caliber adequacies" are relevant to the discussion.

Most departments have standardized caliber requirement.
    Yes, and those standard caliber requirements are largely based on caliber adequacy with stopping the actions of a bad guy as a primary consideration.

The LEO is not concerned about concealed carry and is allowed to carry as big a weapon as possible out in the open.
    Please - there are several 9mm, .40 cal, and .45 items on the market that are not that much larger than the .380 and are perfectly concealable.

I stand by my original point - generally, it is an underpowered cartridge that in the overall is not recommended by well-known firearm training organizations as a good self-defense round.

That said, if someone wants to put their faith and trust in it to save their life or the life of a loved one, I say that's a personal choice. It's just one that I don't make and as an instructor, I feel I am obligated to point out it's potential shortcomings.

Shooter
    H&K-Certified MP5 Operator and Instructor
    FBI-Certified Police Pistol and Shotgun Instructor
    State of New Mexico-Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Would you agree that when people make a decision to carry a firearm, caliber is part of the selection process? If you do, then you might also agree that "caliber adequacies" are relevant to the discussion.

Yes, and those standard caliber requirements are largely based on caliber adequacy with stopping the actions of a bad guy as a primary consideration.

Please - there are several 9mm, .40 cal, and .45 items on the market that are not that much larger than the .380 and are perfectly concealable.

I stand by my original point - generally, it is an underpowered cartridge that in the overall is not recommended by well-known firearm training organizations as a good self-defense round.

That said, if someone wants to put their faith and trust in it to save their life or the life of a loved one, I say that's a personal choice. It's just one that I don't make and as an instructor, I feel I am obligated to point out it's potential shortcomings.

Shooter
    First rule of firearm carry is carry a firearm. I have both a Ruger LCP with CT and and Kel-tec PF9 with CT. Both are easy to carry however the LCP is definitely easier especially when requirements are deep concealment such as pocket carry. I find I have a little more conscious and subconscious resistance to carrying the PF9 over the LCP. The last thing I want is resistance to carrying since the day I don't have it is the day I'll need it so the LCP is more often my EDC and I don't feel undeserved by it. I'd like to make my PF9 my daily EDC so I would get the benefit of the 9mm over the 380 but I think that part of the difficulty is I haven't found a carry mechanism for my PF9 that I prefer over the Ruger LCP with CT in a Desantis SuperFly pocket holster. The way I see it carrying every day is my primary goal. Carrying a "better" round is a bonus - one I'd like to achieve so long as I don't compromise my primary goal.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC1625 View Post
    I'd think folk in Kentucky wear shorts and tee shirts as much as us up here in West Virginia. Tee shirt ain't slowing down a .380 or anything else. Practice and deliver doubletaps and it's fully effective at a typical self defense range. Granted colder weather brings more clothes, that merely provides better concealment for more firepower on an as needed basis. Nearly half of the year a .380 is plenty, and over half of that is all that can be concealed easily. There are some especially small 9x19s like the LC9 or the Keltec, but they shoot like cheap undersized guns same as their .380 variants. I'd like a P238 type pistol in 9mm for colder weather.
    Agree. I have seen a lot of test published where the penetration of the .380 actually goes up when fired through clothing as compared to naked jello. Some hollow point ammunition does not like having the cavity plugged with cloth. This does not seem to be as much a problem with the newer stuff.

It is a little cooler here in Nebraska than in Kentucky most of the year, so in the cooler weather I carry a larger weapon. I have become rather fond of my Glock 30SF when it is under my heavy leather jacket. When I am OCing on my own property, I nearly always have either the 30SF or a Glock 21SF on my belt. The 21SF is also my standard "car" gun. The problem that I have with Glocks is that I do not fully trust a chambered Glock in anything other than a Serpa holster. I think the combination of a large Glock and a Serpa on the belt is one of the best combos out there. In the field, I carry a Glock 20SF (10mm) in a Bianchi UM series holster on my belt.

The thing that I like about the .380's that I have owned is that I can drop them into my pocket on the way out the door and don't have to worry about them going off on me. This is in addition to the fact that, while the dimensions of the Gock 30SF and the Beretta 85 FS are similar, the Beretta conceals much easier on me and points a lot better. A Pierce adapter on the Glock magazines helped holding and pointing the Glock considerably, but I still point shoot the Beretta a lot more accurately. And, like a lot of people here have said, the bullet does no good, no matter how big or powerful it is, if it does not hit something vital. A smaller gun that you WILL have on you all the time and CAN hit with under "self defense" conditions will always be a better choice than a larger weapon that has not endeared itself to you. Granted, this can be overcome. But first you have to believe that you are somehow in grave danger with what you are currently carrying. I do not. I am the weapon. Everything else is just a tool.

11. I use to carry a Bersa Thunder 380 loaded up with critical defense ammo in the summer and a Ruger P95 for winter carry. Now carry a Taurus 357 snubnose also loaded with critical defense ammo. Its better to have a smaller caliber weapon than none at all.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast