.380 as a Primary Weapon - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 as a Primary Weapon

.380 is not my EVERY day carry, but it is one that I carry when I either do not feel I can carry a bigger gun or if the clothing I am wearing will not support a bigger gun - such as 'basketball' shorts.

For me, I carry the LCP .380 and it works great for me, and yes I train with it, but not as much as I should. I had a Walther PPK/S but found it too unreliable and too heavy for said shorts.

In his recent article in "Handguns" magazine, James Tarr says "a .380 is what you carry when you can't carry a gun." There are many new pocket guns chambered in 9mm (such as the Ruger LC9 9mm he writes about). One might also consider the new Kimber Solo in 9mm. These are pocket rockets with enough fire power in a very small package.

As Shooter states - .38 or 9mm arre the minimum caibers for effective protection.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I carry an LCP frequently, as a BUG, but for my primary CCW 9mm or .38spl is the lowest I go.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC1625 View Post
    And nobody who knocks the .380's power wants to 'lend a hand' (or arm or leg) in the jellos place for proper testing of their silly theories...
    I have certainly never had a taker.

I carry my Smith & Wesson .380 Bodyguard in a DeSantis Nemesis holster and two spare mags loaded with Horandy critical defense. Don't even notice that it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by MYGLOCK View Post
    I carry my Smith & Wesson .380 Bodyguard in a DeSantis Nemesis holster and two spare mags loaded with Horandy critical defense. Don't even notice that it is there.
    The Nemesis is a nice holster. I have a couple of these for various small handguns. It fits nicely in the left inside pocket of a 9.11 vest, which is where I like to carry a second (or "back-up") pistol. I can carry a Smith and Wesson J-Frame in my front pants pocket with a Nemesis pretty well, but the Beretta is a bit too big for that. It goes in the vest pocket or a coat pocket.

I concealed carried the Russian Makarov IJ-70 in 380 ACP for almost 20 years. It is small, compact, recoil easily manageable for follow-on shots.

What made the difference for/to me are the external safety and true double/single action. I also like the external hammer.

I have recently changed to the Taurus PT-709 (9x19mm). With the Southeastern US's heat and humidity, I wanted to try something with a polymer frame that wasn't bulky, worried about rust, and had the same operations and safety. Only thing I miss is the external hammer which allowed me to decock when needed. The 709 is a double/single action with an external manual safety.

When I was the market for a pocket carry, I made several trips to multiple stores with different styles of pants to figure it which handgun to purchase. I had no requirement on caliber.

In the end, the only pocket carry handguns that I could comfortably fit were all .380's. Of those the p238 was the nicest imo.

I have not yet found a 9mm or bigger that can comfortably conceal completely in a pocket. I'm 5' 10", 185lbs, with deep pockets.

All those claiming there are guns in more adequate calibers that will fit, please specify exact models. Maybe I missed some, and I would like to personally test them out.

I like the post about warmer weather, less clothing, .380 is perfectly adequate. In colder weather with bulkier clothing, a larger caliber is concealable.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    When I was the market for a pocket carry, I made several trips to multiple stores with different styles of pants to figure it which handgun to purchase. I had no requirement on caliber.

In the end, the only pocket carry handguns that I could comfortably fit were all .380's. Of those the p238 was the nicest imo.

I have not yet found a 9mm or bigger that can comfortably conceal completely in a pocket. I'm 5' 10", 185lbs, with deep pockets.

All those claiming there are guns in more adequate calibers that will fit, please specify exact models. Maybe I missed some, and I would like to personally test them out.

I like the post about warmer weather, less clothing, .380 is perfectly adequate. In colder weather with bulkier clothing, a larger caliber is concealable.
    My experience exactly. I am 50 years old and have been shooting handguns since I was 17 years old, and carrying them in one form or another since I was 21. I do NOT make my carry choices by seeing a gun and thinking "oh what a cute little gun, I think I'll start carrying it". I have loaded and tested ammunition in just about every standard pistol caliber, and have spent a lot of time shooting over a chronograph as well as having loads pressure tested by the powder manufacturers. I have shot, handled, and carried many different handguns, including the small hand cannons. I have found none of the smaller ones entirely suitable for my use. The simple fact is that the smaller 9mm, 40S&W, and .45acp pistols were ADAPTED to use those cartridges. Those loadings were never intended for small pistols, and I have found very few that handle all loads reliably. The baby Glocks are the rare exception (and it pains me to say so). Even then, I have found the smallest Glocks totally lacking in ergonomics, rendering an uncomfortable pistol to begin with totally useless to me. The smallest Glock that I can shoot well is the 30SF, and it is really a compact and not a micro. Even having said that, I do not trust the Glock for pocket carry, nor do I really like to carry them in anything other than a Serpa or a Bianchi Military holster.

This leaves the sub-caliber pistols and small revolvers. I like the concealability of the S&W J-Frames, but I do not like the round count and reloading speed. That is why I carry two, and sometimes three of them on me. As to the .380, it was made for smaller weapons and most of the better made ones feed about anything you want to run through them. I spoke earlier of primer issues with my SIG, but feeding was never an issue. Nor is it with my Makarovs (in both 9mm and .380) or my Beretta 95FS or my son's Beretta 94FS. All (except the SIG for reasons explained previously) have been totally reliable, highly accurate, and have fit my hand perfectly making them very easy to bring on target. I have also found the .380, as well as the smaller .32acp, to be very easy to keep on target for followup shots. This is something that I have not found to be true in ANY of the comparable 9mm and larger weapons.

My overall defensive strategy does not revolve around my pistol, but rather my pistol is a part (and a small one at that) of my overall defensive strategy. I do believe in ALWAYS being armed, and I fully understand that bullet placement is more important than any imaginary stopping power. Pistols are poor stoppers, period. To be honest, if I really wanted to mess someone up good at close range, I would rather use a large knife such as the Cold Steel Tri-Lite VI that I often carry. So when it comes right down to it, caliber is not the first thing that I consider. It is not even the second or third. I want something that will conceal in the conditions that I am going to be operating, not what some internet expert or magazine author thinks the conditions will be. I want something that fits MY hand, and points well for ME. I really could care less if what I carry works for anyone else, nor do I really care what works for them if it does not also work for me.

In the end, that means that no pistol is the perfect pistol for me. That is why I have several (dozens actually). Sometimes, like now while I am home typing this, I am carrying a Glock 30SF in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. This morning, when I was in a school zone, a secure industrial facility, and other places where firearms are not particularly welcome, I had a .380 locked in my automobile's lock box. It went with me when I went to the grocery store and other errands afterwards since I was dressed for the near 90 degree weather that we are having here. The Glock would have been unconcealable with what I was wearing.

So, I do not consider the .380 to be the ultimate CCW weapon by any means, but rather consider it a useful tool when the situation requires such a tool. As the quoted poster wrote, I will be happy to carry something else just as soon as one of these magical pistols that can stop an elephant while fitting in your belly button actually appears, is tested by me, and found suitable for my needs.

And lastly, I do not trust a person that suggests a particular handgun for someone to rely upon with their life that does not first spend a good deal of time asking questions about the person's situation and defensive needs. I am often asked which weapon a person should purchase. I often spend an hour or more discussing their situation before I give a suggestion. Even then, I invite them to the range to try a few first, if they are able. I have too often seen people given a virtual death sentence because someone suggested a weapon highly rated in some magazine or on the internet, yet took no time to find out what the person really needed. In those cases, the person was stuck with a weapon that they will not shoot, nor will they carry it. A lot of good that did.

I carry a Colt Government .380, and I have no qualms about carrying it as a primary. I reload my own ammo, but some of the ammo available today makes this a primary pistol, IMHO.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast