.380 as a Primary Weapon - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: .380 as a Primary Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer:218864
    Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Glock in .40, but will carry .380 when concealment means staying out of jail (i.e. while traveling in NY, NJ, IL...)

People have saved thier skins by using a .22 pistol. Sure, it's not a caliber of choice but a .380 may well save your life and stop an attack better than throwing a cell phone at the aggressor.

OK, I promised myself not to get involved in these ever present, each and every forum and eventually nearly every thread in every forum caliber vs. threat discussions. Darn it, here I am posting in one anyway!
    You have a valid point but I do not go anywhere I cannot carry my weapon, including NY, NJ, or anywhere else, and as far as which caliber is best, a slingshot will kill, and who carrys what, is really up to whos doing the carrying
    I like your thinking! Especially beacause your thinking!

I picked up a sig p6 a year ago. this gun fits in the small of my back and just right!. It come down to what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40FAN:218865
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer:218864
    Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Glock in .40, but will carry .380 when concealment means staying out of jail (i.e. while traveling in NY, NJ, IL...)

People have saved thier skins by using a .22 pistol. Sure, it's not a caliber of choice but a .380 may well save your life and stop an attack better than throwing a cell phone at the aggressor.

OK, I promised myself not to get involved in these ever present, each and every forum and eventually nearly every thread in every forum caliber vs. threat discussions. Darn it, here I am posting in one anyway!
    You have a valid point but I do not go anywhere I cannot carry my weapon, including NY, NJ, or anywhere else, and as far as which caliber is best, a slingshot will kill, and who carrys what, is really up to whos doing the carrying
    I like your thinking! Especially beacause your thinking!
    I don't know...I can throw a cellphone pretty damn hard...lol jkjk

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Here is a question I ask of all my CCW students; "How many cops are out there carrying a .380 as a primary self defense weapon?"

Answer: None

And, there is a reason for that. Generally, the .380 cannot stop the actions of a determined BG - not enough "oomph." And, if you try it against a drunk or high attacker, it's just gonna piss 'em off.

Take a hint from the cops - minimum caliber for a revolver - .38 special; minimum caliber for a semi-auto - 9mm.
    When I was a LEO in Dallas, I wore a great ole big duty belt with a great ole big Bianchi High Rise Holster which held a great ole big S & W Model 27 in .357 Magnum. I really cant carry that big ole gun now since it is too hard to conceal.

I teach my CCW students that they should always carry a gun, because the one they left at home because it was too uncomfortable to carry won't help them is the least. If they can only handle a smaller caliber as an everyday carry, then at least they will have a gun with them when they need it.

I ask folks if they have a carry permit. If they say yes, I always ask them what they are carrying. The most common answer is NOTHING. I ask why and they say it is a lot of trouble to carry a big gun or they only carry when they might need a gun. Then I ask "How do you know?"

I carry a Walther PPK/S in .380 when the temps are not 110 degrees like they are now and feel pretty well protected. The modern .380 rounds from Hornady are designed to penetrate those pesky ole thick clothes and still penetrate a good 9 to 10 inches into that murderous gelatin with full expansion. That will do the job for me. I sometimes carry a nine sometimes and I also carry a Seecamp .32 (horrors) at times. At least until I receive my .380 Seecamp.

I believe practice and shot placement is second most important to always carrying a gun. Caliber comes in there somewhere, but not certainly the first consideration.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    I ask folks if they have a carry permit. If they say yes, I always ask them what they are carrying. The most common answer is NOTHING. I ask why and they say it is a lot of trouble to carry a big gun or they only carry when they might need a gun. Then I ask "How do you know?"
    Why is this concept so hard to get across? A .45 ACP 1911 at home is WORTHLESS when you are being mugged! That Ruger .357 that shoots great that's right by the bedside is worth bat guano when that ex-con and his buddies are looking at your daughter and start moving towards you. A .22 magnum revolver or a .380 auto IN YOUR POCKET at the moment of crisis is the true life saver. A .22 magnum crashing into an ex-con's face is a heck of a lot more detrimental than, "Please, Don't! HELP!!"
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Here's why...

Armed diner shoots robbery suspect outside St. Petersburg Applebee's - St. Petersburg Times

Note that the GG hit the BG FOUR times at less than 6ft distance..And
    BG is doing just fine in local hospital, no doubt getting his care
    and bills paid by taxpayers...

A .380 might be a fair backup, beats throwing rocks, but I would
    never want to depend on one for a primary.

If I put four rounds of the Federal Hydrashock JHP +P in your ass
    that is in the mag of my .45 from 6ft, you're gonna die. Period...

FLc

Quote Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
    Armed diner shoots robbery suspect outside St. Petersburg Applebee's - St. Petersburg Times

FLc
    The point is to stop the threat! not to kill whatever is attacking you and yours! I have no desire to kill anyone or anything for any reason except to stop a threat to me and mine! mine includes my country THE REPUBLIC OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, if you are not prepared and I am, you are on your own untill I stop the threat to me and mine!
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

FLc
    this, most likely, is a failure of the shooter to choose the correct ammunition. As I have advocated before, you can't use a .380 as your only carry piece and expect to stoke it with Ukranian ball ammo! If this had been MagTech, Glaser, Cor-Bon or any other quality expansive round, I'm sure the outcome would not have required nearly as many rounds. I'm sure the shooter, the BG, the defense attorney, the shooter's liability insurance company and the jury would all prefer that the incident had been stopped with the fewest rounds fired.

FLc
    As I have always said, shot placement is what is important. Lots of folks have been shot with .45's an walked away and lots of folks have been killed with a .22. Actually the .22 is the deadliest caliber, with more deaths than any other single caliber.

Since we don't know where the shots hit the robber, we don't know if your .45 would have put him down. Gunfights have been held at 6 feet, both guns emptied and no one was hit. I guess then it comes down to who has the best arm.

Quote Originally Posted by flcracker:218933

FLc
    4 .45's in the ass would not kill someone...just saying.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast