.380 as a Primary Weapon
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 as a Primary Weapon

.380 as a Primary Weapon

Who all carries a .380 as either an every day carry weapon, or as an occasional primary weapon?

I used to carry a SIG P232 as a backup weapon. I sold it after some reliability issues. I currently have a Beretta 85FS Cheetah that I have been carrying as a primary more and more. The weapon has not malfunctioned yet, and feeds anything that I have put into it. I am currently loading it with Remington Home Defense loads for carry, with the spare magazine loaded with FMJ. The Beretta would not be my first choice if I am heavily dressed (that is what my Glock 30SF and Glock 21SF are for), but with Summer here, I am finding that the Beretta is often the only pistol that I have on me when I leave home.

.380 as a Primary Weapon-beretta85fs.jpg

I have been known to carry a Colt Government .380 full of Sabres, usually in the summertime. It fits in the small of my back just perfect under a shirt or t-shirt. I have a soft spot for this pistol.

I have carried a Bersa Thunder .380 for months. I have no problems with it, and feel perfectly safe. As we have said in other threads, size doesn't matter as much as people say. A .380 shot to the chest or head is still better that a .40 or 9mm to the shoulder or leg.
    NYMoose

I've got a P-3at that I carry when I can't carry one of my larger weapons for concealment. The thinness of the P-3at makes it much easier to conceal for Pocket carry or IWB than the bulkier Glocks or my PF-9.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

I bought my TCP/738 .380 in January of 2010, and where I go, it goes (most of the time!). I carry two belt magazines plus the one in the gun... It is my EDC.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

I carry a TCP everywhere I go in my front pocket. Sometimes I'll OC with my M&P but usually keep that for colder months CCW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

i like my sig 238 it is very nice to carry in front pocket of my cargo shorts ,,tryed the bersa but had problem with spring

My Ruger LCP is my full time carry summer and winter in my front pocket. I have an old German Walther PPK/S which is more accurate and pleasant to shoot, but it's just too big. I'd rather not belt carry.

Sig 238

Carry a p 238 front right pocket everyday, no excuses. Carry a sig tac ops 1911 .45 or jericho 941 .40 when I can dress appropriately, iwb, and move my 238 to left pocket. Carry spare 238 mag in opposite pocket, and 1-2 mags on belt for primary when possible.

.380 as a Primary? Take a hint from the cops...the answer is NO!

Here is a question I ask of all my CCW students; "How many cops are out there carrying a .380 as a primary self defense weapon?"

Answer: None

And, there is a reason for that. Generally, the .380 cannot stop the actions of a determined BG - not enough "oomph." And, if you try it against a drunk or high attacker, it's just gonna piss 'em off.

Take a hint from the cops - minimum caliber for a revolver - .38 special; minimum caliber for a semi-auto - 9mm.
    H&K-Certified MP5 Operator and Instructor
    FBI-Certified Police Pistol and Shotgun Instructor
    State of New Mexico-Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast