.380 as secondary weapon - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .380 as secondary weapon

It's reliaable, it's small and it's accurate. I bought a spare magazine safety and disabled the original. It will fire if there is only one bullet in the chamber and the magazine accidently gets kicked out.

5 shot group at 21 feet
    Vern
    Taurus45ACP.com
    I started out in life with nothing and I've managed to keep most of it.

The Bersa Thunder is a good choice. I carry a TCP EDC. As far as the effectiveness of the round...

CALIBERS -- The Gun to Carry When You Can't Carry a Gun: .380 Advocacy Article

With modern defensive ammunition, the .380 isn't the "best" choice... but it'll get the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I assume this is a LEO discussion? Reason being, I can't fathom living somewhere I'd need more than one pistol for self defense as a citizen doing the concealed carry routine. I'd think for the majority of people, the chance of needing a weapon should be low enough that carrying two would be too much of a hinderance in day to day life to even consider. If I were going somewhere I thought I needed a gun badly enough that I should have two, I would seriously need to reconsider my plans. If I still went I'd hafta sorta mostly blame myself if anything happened.

As a citizen doing the concealed carry routine, I've often thought of a backup gun, but in a different manner than most seem to talk about. Most backup gun discussions talk about having the backup weapon on person. Like I said above, I'd find carrying two weapons on my body a hinderance for day to day life as a technician, father, and husband. My thought is to have a BIG backup gun with high capacity and a long barrel, but have it locked off body. I know off body carry is a whole other argument, but such things can be done effectively and safely with diligence depending on your personal situation. Either in a case of some sort or in the car. A small primary carry weapon with extra mags to get you time to get out the big gun.

The way I see it, one day we're all going to die. We can do things to reduce the chances of certain things occurring, that's why we carry. I think for the average citizen, additional training with the primary carry weapon would benefit more than any second weapon. With the slim chance that something happens and excellent training with an excellent weapon isn't enough to save your life, then the chances of some tiny on body BUG saving your day is super slim.

My thought on carrying backup in case of failure of the first is to have a weapon you can trust and inspect it for proper operation often, it is only the life of you and your loved ones that may be counting on it. If you have a weapon you can trust, it's allot lighter to pack extra mags than a second weapon and the weight of that second weapon can equal allot of extra rounds.

My thoughts on a backup for those that do it, make sure it operates the same as your primary gun and the controls are laid out the same. When defending yourself, you are responding to something that's already happening. There is no time to "realize" what gun you have in your hands, muscle memory is all that can save you.

5. I have the Ruger LCP that has been a reliable close range gun that can be carried just easily just about anytime. Sights are not much, but I added the Crimson Trace laser. Anything similar that is reliable will work.

My Ruger LCP is more reliable than my Bersa Thunder .380. I have has problems with double-feeding and failure to eject with my Bersa. There is a wallet holster for the Ruger LCP and one for a Kel-Tec P3AT. I like the wallet holster because if it prints in my back pocket, it simply looks like a wallet and nothing more. I agree that with a primary CC gun AND a backup gun (BUG) both tucked IWB, I need to wear my pants TWO sizes too big and it looks funny.

I also own the Bersa and can positively atest to it's qualities, most of which have been addressed previously. My advice is this: Because there are few really "poor" weapons curently marketed, select one that "feels" right for you. As example, I own Colt, Sig, H&K, Star and Astra in cal .45 ACP and I like them all. I DON'T have a Glock simply because I never could make one fit my hand. Same complaint with many popular .22 semi-autos, but the S&W mod. 41 and the Ruger 22/45 work for me.

8. When I was on duty, I wore Wellington boots, and the left boot had an elastic pocket inside the left boot. I bought a Colt Mustang .380 auto, had the department armorer check it out and wore it in that pocket as a BUG. The weapon I carry now, even if I was still in law enforcement, would be carried with two spare magazines (I carry one now). This gives me almost half a box of ammo, 14 in the gune (13+1), and one 13-rd mag in reserve. If that many rounds of .45 ACP don't handle the problem, send in the National Guard.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

On Glock fitting your hand or not...

Quote Originally Posted by DTBorden View Post
    I also own the Bersa and can positively atest to it's qualities, most of which have been addressed previously. My advice is this: Because there are few really "poor" weapons curently marketed, select one that "feels" right for you. As example, I own Colt, Sig, H&K, Star and Astra in cal .45 ACP and I like them all. I DON'T have a Glock simply because I never could make one fit my hand. Same complaint with many popular .22 semi-autos, but the S&W mod. 41 and the Ruger 22/45 work for me.
    DTBorden:
    I know a LOT of people who have the same problem with Glocks. I own 5 retired Glocks that I was using on duty. I recently tried a Springfield XD-45. I use my XD-45 as my main duty gun from now on.
    Have you ever tried the Springfield XD/XDM series? If not, you might think about trying one or two. I found that the subtle difference between the grip angle on the Glock, and the grip angle of the XD made a lot of difference, and the XD was much more accurate. (I hate to say anything negative about my beloved Glocks). If you haven't tried a Springfield XD/XDM, go try one- start with XD-9mm, then maybe XD-40, then XD-45. Some gun ranges rent guns you can try before you buy. Otherwise, ask someone on the range if you can try theirs. Most shooters will be happy to let you try their gear, and try yours- like a test drive with a new car.
    Also remember, the barrel length isn't the hardest part of the gun to hide, unless you wear Daisy Duke short-shorts. LOL. The part that is hardest to conceal is the grip. The XD Compact series has a somewhat shorter grip, and if you cant the gun forward enough, the grip doesn't "print" as otherwise.
    Also, take a good look at a Kel-Tec P-11 (9mm)or a Kahr PM-9 (9mm), or PM-40 (.40 S&W).
    I know this only because I have tried about 30 different guns over the years.
    I hope my comments are helpful to someone...

10. Thank you all

First I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I recieved some good advice. LPC1625 your response ave me some things to think about and I'd have to agree two guns is a little overboard. Wuzfuz I liked your eply also, looks like I'm going for exta magazine instend of a BUG. Once again my thanks to you all.

11. I started with a Walther .380, but soon gave it up due to reliability problems. My favorite now is a Glock 27 in .40. It's compact enough to be worn under almost any clothing in a paddle holster under a loose T-shirt, and powerful enough for any situation I can imagine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast