.380 as secondary weapon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .380 as secondary weapon

1. Question .380 as secondary weapon

I believe this subject has been brought up before yet here goes. I am thinking of getting a .380 as a secondary SD weapon. I've looked at the Bersa Thunder and would like some reviews from those of you that have experience with this weapon, such as handling, maintenance and anything else that would assist me making my purchase.

Get yourself a Glock 27 instead.

JSDinTexas Guest
    I consider a "secondary weapon" or BUG is one used when all else fails and the fight is almost lost. I don't carry a BUG, but if I did, it would be another G23 at least. Except for undercover, I have never really understood why the BUG has to be smaller than the primary. After all, the Lone Ranger always carried two of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaakov Ben Avaraham View Post
    I believe this subject has been brought up before yet here goes. I am thinking of getting a .380 as a secondary SD weapon. I've looked at the Bersa Thunder and would like some reviews from those of you that have experience with this weapon, such as handling, maintenance and anything else that would assist me making my purchase.
    Magazines for these pistols tend to be expensive, but you do not need that many. I have heard nothing but good from the people that I know who shoot Bersa pistols. The Bersa would make an excellent BUG.

Go with the Bersa

I own one and love it. I added the Crimson Trace laser grips for my wife. But with or without the grips, the pistol is spot on.

7. I could give you the standard "Get a Glock" response or answer your question...I'll go with the latter - The Bersa .380 is a reliable and easy to operate handgun. The recoil on it isn't bad for a smaller framed pistol and getting back on target isn't that difficult. They are relatively easy to maintain and quite reliable as far as I am concerned. The magazines are a bit pricey as someone mentioned but if it is going to be a BUG then the standard magazine that comes with it will be fine. I liked the Bersa so much that I upgraded to a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact .40, a friend of mine owns the 9mm version as well and loves his just as much.

I have the Bersa 380 and my only complaint is the Grip size. I have big hands and the grip just isn't that comfortable. Other than that, I really like it.

Bersa 380

Several years ago I bought a Bersa Thunder 380. I liked the size for concealed carry. It was also the first semi-auto pistol I had owned. My other handguns were all revolvers. I'm retired Army and was one of the few who never got along well with the 1911.
    I've probably shot 500 rounds through the 380 and aside from a spring problem which was resolved quickly and soon after I bought it, it has been without trouble. Even though it is the CC version with very low profile sights, it is accurate and fun to shoot.
    I liked the Bersa 380 so much that I recently bought a Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Carry. Like the 380, it has been very reliable and accurate.
    I like the trigger pull on both pistols
    ,whether shooting double or single action.
    Before buying the 45, I considered a Ruger 45 and a Stoeger 40.

I have the Bersa 380CC model which I use as a pocket gun in the summer. I live in S. Texas and the Bersa fits very well into the pocket of my cargo shorts. My Glock sub-compacts are just a little too big to carry in a pocket.

I like the looks of the Bersa. It is DA/SA, has a decoker/safety, and has a loaded chamber indicator. My only complaint is that my trigger finger rubs on the inside of the trigger guard and after shooting more than 150 rounds at the range, I start to get a sore spot on my finger. That's due to my size 12 hands. I say go for it. You won't be sorry.

11. I have always considered .380 as inadequate as a defensive round. For less weight than the Bersa there are several 9mm guns out there of the same or smaller size. The baby glocks, taurus slim, ruger's new 9mm, keltec's p-9 or p-11, sccy's cpx-2 (avoid the cpx-1 due to safety issues that render the gun into a paperweight at just the wrong time).

Personally, I go with .45 ACP. My carry weapon is a taurus 845 or long slide 24/7 and for backup I have a choice of taurus pt-145, amt backup in .45 or a glock 30. The 24/7 and the PT145 work well together since the 24/7 mags can also be used in the 145.

I'm a large guy so these are easy to conceal on me, as are the main guns. The three small .45's are all similar in size or smaller than the bersa.

This means I only have to carry one caliber and I have loads that work well in all 5 guns.

Well, that's my two cents. Make sure whatever guns you choose you train with well and part of that training is getting to your guns when you need them. Participating in IDPA or IPSC competition, even if you're not a sharpshooter, will help you work on all aspects of using a gun - actually, if you're not a sharpshooter its probably even more important.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast