Newbie to ccw. What to carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie to ccw. What to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by gkeil961 View Post
    Had to get a Glock, everyone deserves a Glock.....;)
    Ditto!

3. Great choice for a carry .45. Nice deal also. I put mine in a front pocket holster. But carry one of my HK's the most unless a quick errand i use my Ruger LCR .357, the G36 had some mag problems a couple years back but all now seem fine. I know few who carry the 36 and love it one is my FFL....

Quote Originally Posted by FLF View Post
    I recently picked up a used (like new condition) Glock 36 that is a very nice ccw. I like .45, I like Glock reliability and I liked the $425 price with the full kit.
    2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

First, if you are not going to train in malfunction drills, you should start with a Revolver. I try to tell students and especially the ladies, If you can't clear a fail to feed or a stovepipe quick and efficient you should not carry a semi-auto. Or at least carry a Revolver back up. Most people don't listen because they see on T.V. guns don't malfunction or run out of ammo. I stopped giving CCW Classes because people think they know it all and don't listen. You can't believe the Guys that want their Wife to carry a semi-auto Even if they can't work the slide. They feel if they load it and have it ready to go It's O.K. for them to carry it. I tried to tell people, you need to practice. Know your firearm. They promise you the world and off they go. I didn't have control of the class and was only a helper. That was enough for me. I got out.

Try many, choose one. The one that works best for you will be unique like you are. It will speak to you on some level. What you're listening for is up to you and you'll know it when you hear the right words spoken.. "Get a Glock" is the common response on many forums. For you however, a small J frame S&W revolver could be the proper choice... Do some research and feel free to ask for "opinions".

Best of Luck... Update us when you have chosen.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by chup View Post
    First, if you are not going to train in malfunction drills, you should start with a Revolver. I try to tell students and especially the ladies, If you can't clear a fail to feed or a stovepipe quick and efficient you should not carry a semi-auto. Or at least carry a Revolver back up. Most people don't listen because they see on T.V. guns don't malfunction or run out of ammo. I stopped giving CCW Classes because people think they know it all and don't listen. You can't believe the Guys that want their Wife to carry a semi-auto Even if they can't work the slide. They feel if they load it and have it ready to go It's O.K. for them to carry it. I tried to tell people, you need to practice. Know your firearm. They promise you the world and off they go. I didn't have control of the class and was only a helper. That was enough for me. I got out.
    Words of wisdom... They (firearms) are tools.. Nothing more or less. Learn when and how to use them...

Clearing a type 1, 2, or 3 malfunction is a skill.. Double action revolvers can have type 1 malfunctions, (type 2 and 3 are exclusive to semi autos) clearing it is as simple as pulling the trigger again.

It is possible to have mechanical malfunctions with revolvers also, so care should be taken to learn recovery procedures.

Training...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

As stated before its all personal preference, I carry an xdm 40 full size and no one knows it. I true compacts and subcompacts that I have only shot a couple of times (not very well by the way) but its only because my pinky hangs in la la land. They say the smaller the better but honestly its whatever you're comfortable with.

I think the horse has been beaten enough choose " your handgun " I carry full size 40 cal BUT am changing due to ammo prices 23 bucks for 50 rounds to a 9mm barrel in my frame and ammo at 25 bucks for 100 rounds

9. Have to agree with MCMXI just can't go wrong with a 1911 nice slim profile flawless design capcity low but who needs more than 8 if you do its nothin a mag change can't handle I think cc is more of a holster problem than anything else find the right holster or holsters and you can carry what you have

i own a Kahr PM9 and love it. i feel 9mm is plenty of stopping power, and it's small enough that i carry it all the time, comfortably. dress clothes r really the only hindering factor to concealment, in which case i pack a little .380. recoil is very minimal for its size, and it's quite accurate at personal protection distances. i've talked to guys who've put over 30,000 rounds thru theirs with no wearing out yet, and i've shot nearly every type of ammo out there out of mine with no malfunctions.

Hi all - a slight piggyback question from a very new member here. I am taking my certification course this weekend and will be shooting a variety of handgun options. Would a revolver be a good initial carry option for the average guy? What caliber should I be looking for or is this an "underwear" question. Apologies if it seems basic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast