9 MM 1911's ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 MM 1911's ??

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Get yourself a Glock 17 instead. It is boringly reliable and you can also shoot IDPA and GSSF matches with it.
    I already have a half dozen of them. Bill T.

What most of you guys with them are telling me is what I've been hearing elsewhere as well. The guys who own and shoot them really seem to like them. While I carry a Glock for self defense, I love to shoot the 1911 platform, and currently own 4 of them. 2 Springfield's, a Kimber Stainless II, and a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup I bought new way back in 1973. All are in .45 ACP.

As I mentioned in my OP my main reason for wanting to add a 9 MM 1911 is ammo cost. Over the last few years the price of .45 ACP ball has almost doubled, while the cost of factory 9 MM Ball has only risen a couple of bucks a box for some reason. It doesn't make sense, but we have to live with these prices no matter if we like them or not. I really miss buying CCI Blazer Brass .45 ACP for $9.99 a box at Wal-Mart!

I enjoy shooting the 1911 platform, and always have. I'm heavily attracted to the Rock Island Armory guns because of the quality they exhibit in relationship to cost. Bottom line......the guns are a hell of a buy. I also like the Stainless Springfield Armory Target 9 MM. It looks like it would make a perfect paper puncher. I have no doubt there will be a 9 MM 1911 added to the safe soon. Bill T.

4. Ammo cost....?

One more IMPORTANT thing.

See if you can find one that will accept a 22 conversion kit. If so, it will be SO worth the investment. That or pick up the 9 and a conversion for your 45.

I have a 9mm Colt New Agent. This gun is my favorite for belt carry. It has a 3" barrel, 8+1 rounds, and weighs less than 23 ounces w/o the mag and about 28 ounces with a mag and 9 rounds. The trench sights take some getting used to which is why I'm now using Crimson Trace grips. On the other hand, there are no raised sights to snag or drag during draws. Functionally, this gun is completely reliable. As for ammo, I haven't found any FMJ rounds it doens't like. However, it doesn't care for Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Am currently sticking with Remington Golden Sabers for defense ammo. Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12