Kimber - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber

No second chances, eh? Everyone has an off day. Maybe you got a gun where the guy making it had an off day, and the QC guy had an off day, then they repair crew had an off day. It happens. But you dumped a bunch of money into a Kimber, and you're judging the entire company on one gun, and one repair call.

/Shrug. I love mine. Stainless Pro Carry II. No FTF/E in over 1000 rounds. Examine the mags. Try different kinds of ammo.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

3. I've noticed a lot of people are quick to slam a company if they happen to get the bad gun of the bunch. This happens with every company, and fortunately that's why almost every company will replace and or fix it free of charge. If you read through the forums on any website you'll see hundreds of people with the exact same gun that works fine, and although its frustrating dumping that much money into something and have it not work right off the bat I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that its 100% impossible to make a perfect gun 100% of the time. Not an attack on the OP, just an observation

4. Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    ........ Examine the mags. Try different kinds of ammo.
    I agree here. The Kimber mags seem hokey to me, in fact on another board, a guy said he dropped a loaded mag and it all came apart. So far, my PC II hasn't had any problems but I am considering changing to Wilson combat mags just to ba on the safe side. I don't think that for the $$ a Kimber costs, a change in mags should be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Safebustr View Post
    I have a Ultra CDP purchased new 10 years ago and it is 100% except for an occasional fail to feed on the last round from one of my 2 magazines, I feel sure a replacement of this magazine would solve my problem.
    I have not looked at a kimber lately so can't comment on the quality now but the one I have is a ok and I do trust it for my EDC (winter time).
    I am sure this problem is the magazine because it always happens with one magazine and never happens with the other, I have them marked and just have not had time to get a replacement, the weapon has never failed me with the "good"magazine.

6. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dons2346 View Post
    I agree here. The Kimber mags seem hokey to me, in fact on another board, a guy said he dropped a loaded mag and it all came apart. So far, my PC II hasn't had any problems but I am considering changing to Wilson combat mags just to ba on the safe side. I don't think that for the $$ a Kimber costs, a change in mags should be necessary.
    Wilson Combat Mags are my choice.

I have 1 Wilson Combat, 2 Chip McCormick Power Mags, and the Kimber mag. The Kimber mag is range-only. I've heard it said by several shooters and dealers: Kimber makes a great gun but a crappy mag. My factory mag is marked with 8 witness holes, but only holds 7 rounds.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

8. Since this thread is about the Kimber 3" bbl. handguns and I have a real early Kimber Ultra Carry II .45acp, with the dreaded external extractor that many say won't work.
    I took it along to the indoor range along with my new S&W PPK/S .380. Shot 50 rds through the PPK/S no problems.
    Shot 100rds through my Kimber UC II no problems.zero problems, in all the years I have shot this small Kimber it has never had a FTF or FTE. and it has the early extractor claw design.

I had a similar experience with a Kimber. Here's the thing I've found about the 1911 platform: Don't deviate from the original specification unless you're prepared to deal with these kind of feeding issues. The 1911 is a good platform but it was intended to have a full slide length, 5" barrel, and tolerances that would support combat operations. When manufacturers try to down size the frame to make them more attractive to the concealed carry market they are hurting their reliability. This certainly isn't an absolute but it happens often enough to where I would never recommend a down sized 1911 to anyone that isn't prepared to deal with reliability issues.

I'm not singling out Kimber necessarily but there are plenty of posts out there from disgruntled Kimber owners. There are also a bunch of Kimber owners who will tell you they've never had a problem with theirs. Both conditions are true.
    "Fighting is the central military act. . . . Engagements mean fighting. The object of fighting is the destruction or defeat of the enemy." Clausewitz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12