Kimber
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber

1. Kimber

So I got a new Stainless Pro Carry II about 8 weeks ago. Every round of shooting resulted in 2 or so FTF and/or an occasional premature slide lock. I decided to try to ride it out due to the "Breaking In" statement in the manual. Finally after 4 FTF in one range sitting(100 rounds) I'd had enough. I sent it back to Kimber for repair. 5 weeks later I got it back (they told me it would be 3). They supposedly adjusted the extractor and polished the feed ramp. When I received it the pistol was dirty. They said that it was to prove they'd test fired it which I found laughable.

I took it to the range (After cleaning it) and had 1 FTF and 3 premature slide locks in roughly 70 rounds. I was enraged. I called Kimber and they said the premature slide lock is a different issue. They felt I was overreacting. I guess I'm unreasonable to be upset because I spent 1K on a pistol that I will never have enough confidence in to carry. They said they would send a label so I could ship it back for another round of repairs.

After speaking with them I took it to a gunsmith in the area that is very well respected. I asked him his honest opinion on Kimber (before I told him about the issue). He told me Kimber is not the same company it was even 5 years ago and that their quality is not outstanding especially considering the cost of their products. He said that the true "Sem-Custom" fitting was not really happening anymore.

I explained my issue. He looked at the pistol and immediately noticed that the feed ramp was extremely rough. He actually said it was the roughest 1911 feed ramp he'd ever seen. This is a pistol that just came back from a warranty repair where the repair included feed ramp polishing.

I called Kimber and told them that I don't trust their craftsmanship and planned on letting my local gunsmith do what he could to make it reliable. He said he was mostly just going over the weapon and removing the rough finish that is supposed to be removed during the "Semi-Custom" job. He is charging me $40.

I'm not sure if I will ever be able to carry this pistol, even if I never get another FTF again. It has changed my mind about 1911s that are anything under full size. I'm actually thinking of getting one of those "Modern" pistols that I had such a distaste for(Still .45 though). It's a shame, I was pretty accurate with it. Now only if it would just go "BOOM" every time I pulled the trigger.

I would urge anyone looking at Kimber to seriously reconsider. I think you will be buying a name that no longer has any true quality associated with it.

I purchased a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry two weeks ago, and it has been flawless. No manufacturer produces 100% perfect guns 100% of the time. Sorry you got one that was not up to par. Assuming the gun was still under warranty, why didn't you send it back again?

I have a Ultra CDP purchased new 10 years ago and it is 100% except for an occasional fail to feed on the last round from one of my 2 magazines, I feel sure a replacement of this magazine would solve my problem.
    I have not looked at a kimber lately so can't comment on the quality now but the one I have is a ok and I do trust it for my EDC (winter time).

5. If you read the forums in regards to 1911 Kimbers you find many FTF&FTE problems with their 1911s. Some are great right out of the box.
    The smaller one are the ones that give the most problems. They need polished feed ramps and good recoil spring Assys.also the require a lot of Ammo. testing along with 500 to 700 rounds for breaking them in.
    I have one of the early Ultra Carry II with the external extractor.
    After around 500 rounds and a new recoil spring Assy. and the right carry Ammo. it is a good 1911.
    I don't know about Kimbers quality today, things do change with firearm Mfg.s.
    but before I would give up I think working through the problems and shooting a lot of break in Ammo.

6. If you read the forums in regards to 1911 Kimbers you find many FTF&FTE problems with their 1911s. Some are great right out of the box.
    The smaller one are the ones that give the most problems. They need polished feed ramps and good recoil spring Assys.also the require a lot of Ammo. testing along with 500 to 700 rounds for breaking them in.
    I have one of the early Ultra Carry II with the external extractor.
    After around 500 rounds and a new recoil spring Assy. and the right carry Ammo. it is a good 1911.
    I don't know about Kimbers quality today, things do change with firearm Mfg.s.
    but before I would give up I think working through the problems and shooting a lot of break in Ammo.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kscharlie View Post
    I purchased a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry two weeks ago, and it has been flawless. No manufacturer produces 100% perfect guns 100% of the time. Sorry you got one that was not up to par. Assuming the gun was still under warranty, why didn't you send it back again?
    It has already been back to them once. They don't get a second chance. And many manufacturers are capable of producing quality products right out of the box with no polishing or other nonsense. And if a sub-full size 1911 is inherently unreliable, they should not sell them.

I see you are pretty new to this forum, as this is only your 6th post. I also see you are pretty new to 1911forum, too, since you posted this exact thread on that forum and it was your very first post there.
    Modern Kimber Quality - 1911Forum

9. Quote Originally Posted by Safebustr View Post
    I have a Ultra CDP purchased new 10 years ago and it is 100% except for an occasional fail to feed on the last round from one of my 2 magazines, I feel sure a replacement of this magazine would solve my problem.
    I have not looked at a kimber lately so can't comment on the quality now but the one I have is a ok and I do trust it for my EDC (winter time).
    Why do I always hear "except for the occasional FTF". As if that is acceptable. It is not acceptable for a carry pistol.

10. Quote Originally Posted by markt99 View Post
    Why do I always hear "except for the occasional FTF". As if that is acceptable. It is not acceptable for a carry pistol.
    I agree if a firearm has a problem it must be addressed, but many failures with small 1911s are the shooters causing them. Not every one but many are.

Owning a 3" Kimber 1911 .45acp I quickly learned that some Ammo.s just won't work in it. Kimber stopped making the external extractor because the first problems buyers said they were having, some had real problems.

Kimber over reacted with change after change in the extractors design shape. Every time someone sent a gun back, they turned into a Kimber firearm tester. Not my idea of the real way top solve problems.

Then when the tide was against them they just gave up and returned to the old internal extractor. Maybe for them this was the right thing, But most all other handguns have external extractors and they have worked for over 70 years in some handguns.

Now I read Kimber is building a striker designed handgun like the Glock uses. Wonder where this will end up for Kimber.

11. Pt1911ar

I studied the 1911 pretty good & for the money I settled on the Taurus pt1911ar. I really like it. Its a dead on track driver, easy to clean,& carry. I bought 2 ten round magazines for it along with the two right round mags that came with it. Nice weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast