Which do you prefer Automatics or Revolvers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which do you prefer Automatics or Revolvers?

1. Which do you prefer Automatics or Revolvers?

I have always shot automatics, but recently had the chance to shoot a revolver. What are the flaws in shooting revolvers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Submachine gun.... Lol. Auto.
    "The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

Auto can jam easier and its hard to fix a jam. Revolvers are typically viewed as safer. But you have less ammo and you can't reload as fast.
    "The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

My .02

I shoot auto but I to am thinking about switching to a so called wheel gun to use for IDPA for better scoring
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

Only flaw I see is lower mag. compasity
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

I carry semi autos because I shoot them better and I like the larger ammo capacity and ability to carry spare mags for quick reloading. I only own one revolver and I only bought it because the NRA says my students have to handle a revolver in the home firearms safety class. I don't like shooting it at all due to the sights and felt recoil.

8. Having owned and carried both I have no preference in a quality handgun. I enjoy my 1911s and Glock pistols as much as I enjoy my Ruger SP101 and GP100 and as I do my Ruger SA revolvers. When I was an LEO, I carried a Colt Series 80 Government Model, A SIG P220, a Beretta 92, and a Smith & Wesson 686 (at different times, of course) and I was comfortable shooting any of them.

The dynamics of each type of handgun are, of course, different. Both types of handguns have their advantages and disadvantages, with the most predominant difference being in capacity and manual of arms. With either, bullet placement and control is tantamount regardless of the type or capacity. Personally, I would rather hit with 5 or six than miss with 10+.

Personally, I have found revolvers and semi-automatic pistols that I cannot shoot well due to a myriad of factors and they no longer have a place in my hand.

When I am in the woods, I favor the revolver of sufficient caliber and adequate means of quick re-loading. When I'm on the street among the populace, I prefer a pistol of sufficient caliber and capacity and, as with the revolver, an adequate means of quick re-loading.

The Ruger SP101, at its widest point, measures 1.349". The Glock G19, in comparison, measures 1.18". Not enough difference to concern ones self about. The 15+1/17+1/19+1/33+1 magazine capacity; however, gives the Glock G19 a distinct advantage over the Ruger SP101's 5+0 capacity (in .38 special/.357 magnum configuration).

Someone who by preference uses a weapon holding only six rounds may be perceived as being confident in his skills ("Beware the man with one gun"), when more modern designs holding several times that much ammunition are readily available. With that said, my EDC is either a Glock G36 (7+1 with magazine extension), a Bersa 45UC (7+1), or a Ruger SP101 (5+0), all with adequate reloads, and I'm at home with any of them.

Of all this, I favor the SA Ruger Blackhawk revolver chambered in .38 special/.357 magnum. As I said previously, it is carried in the woods and not on the street.

I have owned many handguns and prefer revolvers. I like the reliability and if a round fails to go bang just pull the trigger again (double action revolvers). Revolvers generally do not have the magazine capacity of semi-autos, but in my opinion that is not a problem because rarely does a person get in a gunfight that requires alot of rounds. I have owned a few semi-autos, but have stayed with the 'wheel gun' for 45 years. However before the 'I dont know what Im talking about' posts start I think semi-autos are fine, and if I was given one or won one I would definately keep it and enjoy shooting it. I would even carry it. Different strokes for different folks.

10. I prefer autos only because that is what I was trained with and am comfortable with. I have never shot a revolver, but would like to try it out.

11. I appreciate all the responses!

Has anybody shot the Chiappa Rhino .357 mag?? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth the price?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast