Sights on hand guns
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sights on hand guns

1. Sights on hand guns

Does a laser sight really help with accuracy when shooting a hand gun?

If you can shoot well without a lazer I wouldn't use one. Also, some J frames with crimson trace grips require you to keep your finger on the trigger to not obstruct the lazer. That forces bad safety practices.

My opinion, laser sights are simply for intimidation and "cool factor." Learn to use your sights through sight acquisition drills, and to point shoot at conversational distances.

5. The way I see it, they are useful in sudden self-defense situations, not in target shooting. The "I've got adrenaline pumping through my system, so a simple 'get the dot on the target' solution is good" principle. Obviously, if you have enough training and experience to not have that happen to you (police/military) you should do fine without, but if you don't have under-stress training, it would be a slight help under pressure.

6. I don't think sights are used very often in sudden SD situations so yes I think It's a huge bonus

7. Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    My opinion, laser sights are simply for intimidation and "cool factor." Learn to use your sights through sight acquisition drills, and to point shoot at conversational distances.
    If the sight of a gun being pointed at them isn't intimidating, then I doubt that little red dot is going to make a difference.

I would not depend on laser sites if you are out side and the sun is shining. Older people tell me they have bivolcos that laser helps them out. Intimidation should not be a factor. Only pull gun out if you intend on using it.

They are an additive, not a replacement for iron sights.
    If you can shoot your gun accurately with irons. Then sight the laser in for the standard distance of 8-10 yards (according to my ccw instructor that is the high average distance of a self-defense shooting)
    As others have said this will help when SHTF and you dont have time for a proper sight picture.

My answer is absolutely yes. Put the laser on the gun, double check that the gun is unloaded. Put a spot on a wall, preferably in a basement where the wall is actually underground. Now concentrate on keeping the laser trained on the spot while dry firing the gun.

Once you've mastered keeping the laser on the spot while dry firing, take the gun to the range and live fire. Again, the object is to keep the laser on the bullseye the entire time while firing. Concentrate on keeping the laser on target, rather than making the gun go off. It doesn't even matter if the laser is "sighted in" or not. Your object is to keep the laser on bullseye through the entire trigger squeeze and to produce as tight of a shot group as you can.

Now take the laser off the gun and shoot exactly the same way you did with the laser on.

This will teach you how to concentrate on keeping proper sight alignment and aim throughout the trigger squeeze rather than thinking about making the gun fire.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

have them on my kimpro, use them very rarely, prefer the metoprolite fiber optic nite sites i installed on my ultra carry. great by day, bright at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast