Glock vs XD
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock vs XD

Glock vs XD

A co-worker of mine has been looking at Glock pistols,he has shot one that belongs to a friend and had decided on a model 30 (45acp). A local gun dealer told him to look at the Springfield XD said it was basicaly a "tricked out Gock" I have pretty much zero knowlege of either gun so I thought I would see if anyone else could offer any advice. All I could tell him was to handle each gun to see how it feels I cant imagine springfield or Glock building a bad gun. I think the cheaper price and olive drab color(Glock aparenly does not ofer in 45) have sold him on the XD. I have sent him to "davidsons" gallery of guns online because of their lifetime warrenty. But they do not have the glock in stock.
    "When you care enough to send the best... Shoot a .45"

It's your basic "Ford vs. Chevy" argument. I personally like the Glock due to the reputation, reliability and the wide use by law enforcment agencies. Some might argue "low bid", but you don't hear of any failures of the Glock despite the "low" price.

With that said, I've shot both side by side and still prefer the Glock. Don't like the excessive "safety features" on the XD. My recommendation would be to have your friend shoot both guns and decide which one fits him best. Don't be like the great majority of gun owners and decide after you've purchased the gun that you don't like it.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

You gave your friend good advice. He should handle both, and if possible he should go to a range where he could shoot both. And remember...opinions are like belly buttons.....everybody has one!

One word sums it up >>>>>>>>>>>> "GLOCK" I have owned an XD and though a good gun, the Glock rocks for me..........( thats just me though, its up to the person to choose which is right for them )
    Glock Carrier in SC.

MufDady

I look at the after market parts and assesories .Glock has a large amount of them.
    Last edited by kwo51; 06-13-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spell

Glock's seem to be a "love it or hate it" kind of thing. For some reason, they just don't appeal to me. In all fairness, I've never fired one and believe they are reliable. I just really dig the XD. I have the XD40 service model and it's been flawless. I do agree that the grip safety is unnecessary, but I haven't had any problems with it. Try both and see if one or the other works for your co-worker.

I have not tried the Springfield but I have a Glock and carry it often as a back up to my HK. I have never had a problem with it. What I like about both is the KISS principle. I like nothing to think about in a stress situation but to pull the trigger and the less to go wrong the better. That is by the way why I much prefer a Dbl action to the older single action autos.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Smile Wishing I had both!

Got a 4 y/o [bought new] Springfield XD-9, their smallest model. Got it just for CC use. I wished I had waited for the XDM's to come out, but it's small size, light weight and ease of use are plusses for me and hassles for others. With the right 117g CORęBON ammo it suits my CC 'knock-down' needs out to 30 meters tops, at 50 meters I doubt it would stop much with 1 shot even for a 9mm JHP 10+1 set-up. Won't even pass thru 1/2" plywood at 50 meters, just imbeds into it! It's a CQC weapon in that size. With no real external flip or button safeties, just a thumb-web pressure bar linked to 3 triggers that have to be used together to make it discharge or nothing fires, it does take some getting used to that configuration. I bought it because that was 1 less safety to worry about. Just pull, point then shoot. BUT drop a loaded XD and expect it to discharge 50% of the time which is a draw-back the FFL dealer never bothered to tell me about, I found out by accident! The Glock is indeed a very nice built weapon, almost sexy in it's contours and shape. I have yet to meet a Glock owner who would trade his/hers in for any other model. If Glock could give me the true sub-compact easy to stash 'n carry unseen benefits that the XD-9 does, I may invest. At almost twice the price of the XD I better be paying for the world's best hand-gun!
    Treading VERY carefully here as Glock probably does make a true sub-compact. I have only shot a .45 cal Glock which had much less kick than the M1911 series, so for a reliable pistol down the road I'd say go with a larger Glock for range fire, and winter clothing CC holster carry, but I would love to see a sub-compact 9mm Glock 5" long, as light as an XD-9 that I could take anywhere any season (jeans 'n a T) legal with little chance it would be spotted. Post away if you know what I am talking about. Unlike the Springfield owning a Glock is a statement of sorts backed up by (IMHO) better machining, what Glock owners claim are almost no mis-fires, jambs or F2F probs, which the XD has plenty of if U don't keep it very clean 'n oiled, like a full field-strip every 500 rounds, or it will freeze-up, especially if your ammo is cheap or reloads. A Glock schematic DOES show better internal workings, smoother round-chambering, better slides/spring and higher quality parts from pistol grips to sights to ejection systems than you will find in any XD. Maybe Springfield corrected those in the XDM? Any Glock with a Crimson-Trace laser sight on it would be one sweet shooter!
    I hope that has not upset either camps :ranting2:

Canis-Lupus :whatever:
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 06-13-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Well he put in an order for the XD I hope he likes it. If i m lucky i may get a chance to try it myself
    "When you care enough to send the best... Shoot a .45"

In my opinion I prefer the XD simply because it seems to fit my short fat fingers better than a Glock. To really start a war if I were going to get a .45 I would get a 1911. Glocks and XD's are for 9MM and .40.

My next gun is going to be Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast