First CCW....revolver or semi- auto ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First CCW....revolver or semi- auto ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrob1980 View Post
    I know it is a well discussed topic,but I will be getting my LTC in about a week...and I have been checking out handguns to carry . Seems like the more you look at the harder the choice. I want something that is comfortable to shoot [plan on joining gun club and practicing regulary ] but want a gun that has sufficient stopping power. The other factor is ammo being harder to get.

Hard decision, semi's are nice but revolvers are also awesome. Go with the basics. What feels good in your hand, what do you shoot well. Go with that. If both fit that category, flip a coin. Also, are you from MA? (LTC)

Quote Originally Posted by Drzzit View Post
    Not to be picky, but a revolver is a pistol, just not semi-automatic.
    I have never understood why revolvers are just considered revolvers and not pistols. Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    I have never understood why revolvers are just considered revolvers and not pistols. Makes no sense.
    The old terminology was all handguns were pistols, then you had revolvers and semi-automatics. Now it seems that has been changed to revolvers and pistols, with pistols meaning semi-automatics. I guess I am old school and they are properly called pistols. The definition of pistol is any firearm that can be fired with one hand and has a barrel that is 16 inches or less in length. At least that is the legal definition in Oklahoma. Revolver and semi-auto are just subsets of the defined pistol.
    Certified NRA Instructor in Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Personal Defense in The Home, Personal Defense Outside the Home and Refuse to Be a Victim.
    Oklahoma Handgun License Instructor; NRA Benefactor Life Member; NRA EVC, District 2, OK

Yes I am from Mass. Maybe someday I will be able to convince my wife to move from this state...but not likely! !!

Just curious...why exposed hammer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    The old terminology was all handguns were pistols, then you had revolvers and semi-automatics. Now it seems that has been changed to revolvers and pistols, with pistols meaning semi-automatics. I guess I am old school and they are properly called pistols. The definition of pistol is any firearm that can be fired with one hand and has a barrel that is 16 inches or less in length. At least that is the legal definition in Oklahoma. Revolver and semi-auto are just subsets of the defined pistol.
    Good answer, that is what I have always believed also.

8. What can you shoot well?

What can you hide the best out of what you shoot well?

That's what you should carry.

Caliber, action, ... All of that stuff is immaterial if you miss. If you aim where you need to and hit where you are aiming, then the only ones that will even notice the details of what was used will be you, the coroner and the guy that logs the gun into evidence (even in the most righteous shoot in the world, you'll end up being arrested and your gun will be taken into evidence at least temporarily).

A concealed handgun is of no use whatsoever if you can't hit what you are aiming at if you need it. The problem is that you still need to be able to routinely hide it. It's referred to as concealed carry for a reason. If you do it right, nobody knows it's there but you.

9. Perfect example of why you need to go hold and fire as many as possible...

I own a tiger Sr40. I love it. If I didn't know better I'd say tiger snuck into my house and took a mold of my hand to make the gun. Everyone told me to try out the Sr40c and that I would love it too, that it felt the same with the pinky extension. Went and shot one today, fully intent on buying it. I DID NOT like how it felt in my hand and the only way I was comfortable was with a 15 round mag and grip extension. What works for one person may not and most likely will not work for another.

As for semi vs revolver, go with what you are comfortable with. I personally carry the Sr, but own a few revolvers. A friend of mine carries his revolver. I have put hundreds of rounds through mine without a failure at all and feel perfectly safe with it and am confident it will work when I need it to. That is the main key, buy a gun you feel comfortable with and put enough rounds through it to feel confident in the guns reliability. If you can't hit the target everytime with a .40, step down to a 9. Hell, if the only gun you are accurate with is a .22, buy that and work your way up. A hit with a .22 will be a helluva lot more effective than a miss with a .45, unless your counting on them scrapping and running.

You should handle as many guns as possible. Make a list of what feels good in the hand. Find as many to shoot as possible (range rental, friends, etc). That will narrow your list significantly because not every gun that feels good in the hand is a great shooter (matter of fact, some are real dogs on the range). Make sure you can reach the trigger, etc. Next, you need to figure out where you will carry (ankle holster, IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, etc). Some guns conceal better than others depending on your physical shape.

Some people have the attitude that they will eventually get better with their carry gun but start carrying before they can competently shoot it. You will be far better served to make sure you can actually hit a target with whatever you purchase. I won't get into a caliber arguement but ammo has improved greatly over the years and so have semi-autos. The whole "revolver is better because it never fails" isn't really true. I have had my revolver fail (it is mechanical so it CAN fail).

Revolver & semi-auto's are both Great and I own a bunch of each ,saying that it sounds like you are somewhat new ? Check out both but buy one and stay with it till you master it . I say this for a reason , you hand and trigger finger fits different on each and the triggers are somewhat different it might confuse you . Hope this is some help to you Good Luck !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast