First CCW....revolver or semi- auto ?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First CCW....revolver or semi- auto ?

I know it is a well discussed topic,but I will be getting my LTC in about a week...and I have been checking out handguns to carry . Seems like the more you look at the harder the choice. I want something that is comfortable to shoot [plan on joining gun club and practicing regulary ] but want a gun that has sufficient stopping power. The other factor is ammo being harder to get.

3. I have both pistols and revolvers, but all of my carry guns are pistols. I certainly wouldn't disparage revolvers, but I like the pistols because they are flatter, have more fire power, and faster reloads. Are you more comfortable with one or the other? With ammo as scarce as it is, here is one idea, shop the ammo stores, see what they have and buy all the ammo you can find in one caliber (with in reason); then go buy a gun that shoots this ammo. Be careful though, or you might end up trying to conceal a S&W 500 Mag

Seems like every couple of years we have a massive ammo shortage. Tell me Obama isn't the Guns and Ammunition Salesman of the Decade!

Not to be picky, but a revolver is a pistol, just not semi-automatic.

Like most handgun shooters, one of each.

My personal choice would be a semi-automatic in 9mm. That said, I went with the awesome Glock 26, which I highly recommend!

For a First, I'll say the Ruger SR9c. Excellent for carry, you'll have stopping power with some nice JHP. A MADE IN AMERICA Firearm and plenty of rounds on board.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Try out as many as you can, and make your decision from that. You could take all the advice offered here (or any other place) and purchase something based on that advice, then discover that you don't like the way that particular piece operates. You will never know what you like until you try it.
    TANSTAAFL

Unfortunatly...I live in Massachusetts and Glocks are not Mass. compliant . Are the 9mm considered enough stopping power ? Just curious...hear so many opinions .

Quote Originally Posted by warthog97 View Post
    I have both pistols and revolvers, but all of my carry guns are pistols. I certainly wouldn't disparage revolvers, but I like the pistols because they are flatter, have more fire power, and faster reloads. Are you more comfortable with one or the other? With ammo as scarce as it is, here is one idea, shop the ammo stores, see what they have and buy all the ammo you can find in one caliber (with in reason); then go buy a gun that shoots this ammo. Be careful though, or you might end up trying to conceal a S&W 500 Mag

Seems like every couple of years we have a massive ammo shortage. Tell me Obama isn't the Guns and Ammunition Salesman of the Decade!
    As long as your not looking for something very small, its tough to beat a Glock in any caliber, at present the main issue is ammo, it seems kind of stupid to say BUT being the ammo situation is what it is, look around ck online see what caliber you can buy at least 500 rds of then buy whatever gun you like in that caliber, and dont be to sure about the 500, I got a 4 inch, and I do carry it at times, but good ammo is between $3 and $4 bucks a shot, thats when you find it
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

When I was a Dallas PD officer back in the 1970's, you could not pay me to carry a semi-auto handgun. I carried a S&W Model 27 in .357 mangum with a 5 inch barrel, nickle plated. It was a great gun but of course I carried it on a duty belt and did not have to conceal.

The reason I would not carry a semi is they were not reliable at that time. We had two officers killed because their Colt 1911's did not go bang when they should and they died. Any time we went to the range to qualify, the semi's always had some sort of stoppage in 100 rounds. My Smith never stopped at any time.

However, I had to carry two speed loaders on my duty belt so I could have 18 rounds. I also carried about 100 rounds in my briefcase because I believe you cannot have too much ammunition.

Fast forward to the present time. I still have my S&W Model 60 that I carried off duty, with 5 rounds, but I would not consider carrying it as my CCW. The present day semi-autos are almost reliable as my revolvers, if they are maintained properly. And we all maintain our firearms properly, correct.

Now with my Sig Sauer P229, I can carry 16 rounds in the gun and if I wish to match my old two speed loaders and carry two magazines, that gives me 46 rounds. Makes me feel a lot better. One mag gives me 31 rounds, almost double what I used to carry.

As far as caliber, caliber does not matter if you don't hit what you need to hit and where you need to hit it. A miss with a .45 does nothing but hurt your ears without stopping the bad guy. If you can shoot more with cheaper 9mm and always hit where you intend, is not that a better situation?
    Certified NRA Instructor in Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Personal Defense in The Home, Personal Defense Outside the Home and Refuse to Be a Victim.
    Oklahoma Handgun License Instructor; NRA Benefactor Life Member; NRA EVC, District 2, OK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast