Wheel gun
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel gun

Wheel gun

I got a line on a Taurus 85 revolver in 40 cal.
    Guess this gun uses a moon clip to hold the rounds in the cylinder.
    Not sure if that is something I want to mess with. Seems to me it
    would be a PITA.
    Any one have any experience with one of these?
    Guess it comes in 9mm also.

Moon clips don't necessarily hold the rounds in the cylinder. It's more like a speed loader and hold multiple rounds together. I like them because they are smaller than standard speed loaders and easier to slip rounds into the cylinder. They can be a pain to slip rounds in or out of, but there are some tool out there that work well.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

Wheel gun

Why would you want to? Given the same cartridge revolvers inherently have less power and velocity than semis due to the cylinder gap. Not to mention more recoil due to there being no springs to absorb it.

Good point, I was looking at one also but had no ideas. Guess the Glocks will do. My wife does not like semis so I thought this would be a good way for us to share ammo in the desert. Thanks.
    "Undocumented Second Amendment Supporter, fighting against suppression of mandatory background checks."

The Charter Arms Pit Bull handles 40 caliber without using moon clips. They came up with an extractor that holds the rounds in the cylinder until you press the plunger then they're all ejected at the same time.

I wouldn't prefer a revolver chambered for a traditional auto cartridge. Not that moon clips aren't all well and good, they are... I just refer not having to rely on them I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Why would you want to? Given the same cartridge revolvers inherently have less power and velocity than semis due to the cylinder gap. Not to mention more recoil due to there being no springs to absorb it.
    Not sure if I understand your question. Why would I want to buy a wheel gun? Or why would I buy a wheel gun that takes 40 cal ammo?
    The answers would be,(!) I want one because it's one of the only firearm types I don't have at the moment. I have revolvers, but not one I COULD carry. (2) I'm impatient & that's all I've been able to find NEW.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Moon clips don't necessarily hold the rounds in the cylinder. It's more like a speed loader and hold multiple rounds together. I like them because they are smaller than standard speed loaders and easier to slip rounds into the cylinder. They can be a pain to slip rounds in or out of, but there are some tool out there that work well.
    The 40 is a rimless cartridge so it either needs the moon clip to headspace on the rim like every other revolver or this is some sort of special revolver that headspaces on the mouth of the case and the clip serves no purpose other than extraction like you said.

Most revolvers fall into the requires moon clips for semi auto cartridges, even if you could, most times you shouldn't use them without since the revolver does headspace on the rim. I have heard that there is a S&W that headspace on the mouth but I don't know the model.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because the small drop in velocity of a 10mm fired from a revolver is insignificant compared to the stronger loads I can work up without having the thing Kboom on me. Also, it will still fire all six shots even if I limp wrist it or do not get the best grip (who knows, I may not have gotten off the first shot). Maybe because I can use bullet designs (Keith type LSWC-GC, full wadcutters) that will not feed out of many semi-automatics. Lots of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Maybe because the small drop in velocity of a 10mm fired from a revolver is insignificant compared to the stronger loads I can work up without having the thing Kboom on me. Also, it will still fire all six shots even if I limp wrist it or do not get the best grip (who knows, I may not have gotten off the first shot). Maybe because I can use bullet designs (Keith type LSWC-GC, full wadcutters) that will not feed out of many semi-automatics. Lots of reasons.
    Well when you chrono a 10mm out of a semi and a revolver let me know, id like to see it. A .357 mag and a 9mm over an average of bullet weights have roughly the same stopping power. Difference is the .357s case is 14mm longer and takes almost twice the powder. I feel like if you take the same cartridge fired out of a semi and a revolver given the same barrel length the difference is going to be more than slight. Also you're right, a revolver shooting a hot 10mm won't limp wrist if you get a poor grip on it. It'll just blow itself out of your hand. And why are you shooting wadcutters for self defense? If in fact you're using them to shoot targets, I digress, why do you need to be shooting a .40? What's wrong with .38 wadcutters? Sorry, I'm not judging, I just don't see the logic behind it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast