Is it safe to dry fire a pistol? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to dry fire a pistol?

1. From everything I've ever read or heard pretty much Amy modern center fire pistol should br OK to dry fire. The only time you'd need to be concerned is on a pistol like the Ruger SR series that have a magazine disconnect safety. Ruger recommends you don't dry fire these excessively because safety is a piece of plastic that stops the firing pin when the magazine is out. Excessive dry firing could possibly damage it.

In rimfire the hammer is designed to strike the softer brass of a round, and not the hard steel of the edge of the chamber.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggatshack View Post
    An Australian shooter comes over here every-so-often and cleans up in our national Service Pistol competition gold medal when he does. In a coaching session he told us that he does 1 million dry fires per year as part of his training regimen. I believe he uses a S&W 686. I'm nowhere near as dedicated as he is and don't even approach a 10th of that number. I'm not concerned about damage if he isn't.
    That would be around 2700 dry fires a day. Somehow I doubt even he approaches a 10th of that number.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

Guy on you tube uses cheap pens with the round plastic insert on top. Drops them down the barrel. Verifies the firing pin is working when the pen flies out the barrel...fun if you're careful.

Quote Originally Posted by kerb View Post
    That would be around 2700 dry fires a day. Somehow I doubt even he approaches a 10th of that number.
    Well you could be right, I'm just going by what he told me he did.

However in my lead-up to the National Champs, I was practising the match at home. The match involves 90 shots and I was easily going through the complete match (dry firing) more than 30 times each day. Unfortunately I started late and overdid it. I ended up getting tendonitis in my trigger finger from all the repeated double action shooting. Got so that I was single-actioning on all the shots where I had time in the nationals and I didn't shoot very well. If I'd built up to it I could have avoided the injury I suspect.

That year the guy I'm talking about, Greg Armstrong, set a record for the match in New Zealand of 883. Still stands. He hasn't crossed the Tasman for the last couple of years so it has given us locals a chance for the gold medal. However he will come over for the Champs in November this year.

Because I never watched him I cannot verify the 1 million dryfires in a year. He is far more serious about winning that match (in Australia as well as here), than I am. I'm just not prepared to put in that much work. But as I said, it was no problem for me to dryfire at the rate of more than 2700 per day and he is the champ.

Cheers
    Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman1976 View Post
    From everything I've ever read or heard pretty much Amy modern center fire pistol should br OK to dry fire. The only time you'd need to be concerned is on a pistol like the Ruger SR series that have a magazine disconnect safety. Ruger recommends you don't dry fire these excessively because safety is a piece of plastic that stops the firing pin when the magazine is out. Excessive dry firing could possibly damage it.
    Who cares lol? Those things suck anyways. Breaking them would be an improvement to the gun. First thing I did when I bought an LC9 for my woman was rip that stupid thing out. If I could've gotten some dry fire practice in while doing it I would have, but the LC9s disconnect safety is steel.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Who cares lol? Those things suck anyways. Breaking them would be an improvement to the gun. First thing I did when I bought an LC9 for my woman was rip that stupid thing out. If I could've gotten some dry fire practice in while doing it I would have, but the LC9s disconnect safety is steel.
    Who cares if you think they suck? Your opinion of a brand or series of pistols is irrelevant to the question that was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman1976 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Who cares if you think they suck? Your opinion of a brand or series of pistols is irrelevant to the question that was asked.
    ^^So was your little butthurt retort^^

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    What kind of damage can be done from dry firing your pistol without a snap cap? Does a spent casing work just as well as a snap cap? Have you had any damage done to any of your firearms due to dry firing?
    You should always use a snap cap, but with that said it would take a lot to actually do damage. Spend casings are rigid, while a snap cap absorbs the shock. When the primer was good it sorta absorbs force as the pin is slamming into it, but once thats done, it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    No substantial damage unless the firearm is a .22 rim fire.
    To quote the manual for my SR-22 "The Ruger SR22 Pistols can be dry fired without damage to the firing pin or other components as long as the magazine is inserted."

was going to ask this question.. pulled a search forst and found this.. Great
    NRA Member
    Im a Gun carrying Newb. So don't laugh at my ignorance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast