The designer round: .40S&W - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The designer round: .40S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    There is a reason that most state police agencies issue guns chambered in .40S&W. Designed to deliver substantial energy into the bg, and still permit mag capacity of 12 rounds or greater,
    To be fair a lot of police departments are going back to the 9mm
    I see cops moving from .40 to .45 way more often than moving back down. With guns like the FNX-45 and FNP-45 that hold 15+1, if you can handle the recoil and the gun fits you there's really no reason not to. I prefer compact frame guns so I stick to my G23 mostly.

Ill stick with my M&P .40 cal. 15 +1 capacity of some hot 155/165 grain hellfire!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I don't know that moving to a .45 from a .40 is the "oppisite" but I get what is being said, the point I was going for was that many police departments are moving away from the .40. (although apparently DHS is not)

Again, in my case I really don’t notice that the .40 has all that much recoil Vs. the 9 mm. I have two S&Ws a 6906 and a 4006 that I carry interchangeably based on what I’m wearing. They are in most respects the same gun just one is a 9 and one is a .40 and one holds 12 rounds in the magazine and the other holds 11. I can’t say that I feel “under gunned” with either.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

FWIW, the Durham, NC police department carries the M&P 45.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Everybody has gone to the .45 unless budget issues curtail that for cheaper ammo and the false sense of safety of being able to carry more ammo. The latter is dependent on the department's firearm instructor and what their considerations and opinions are on ammo. As I said here and across the country (not to mention the Marines) are jumping on the .45 bandwagon.

The designer round: .40S&W-1005971_10151646087178419_1540474606_n.jpg

Interesting graphic. But I will say for the .45, is that it's tendency is to not over penetrate, thus it's forces stay inside the body which causes greater trauma and stopping power effectiveness.

Take this at its face value:

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    The designer round: .40S&W-1005971_10151646087178419_1540474606_n.jpg

Interesting graphic. But I will say for the .45, is that it's tendency is to not over penetrate, thus it's forces stay inside the body which causes greater trauma and stopping power effectiveness.
    Idk how much faith I put in that graphic. Those figures might be true for something hard like a vehicle door but on soft human tissue, velocity has way more to do with exit would size than bullet diameter. Compare a 5.56 to a .45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Everybody has gone to the .45 unless budget issues curtail that for cheaper ammo and the false sense of safety of being able to carry more ammo. The latter is dependent on the department's firearm instructor and what their considerations and opinions are on ammo. As I said here and across the country (not to mention the Marines) are jumping on the .45 bandwagon.
    The Marines aren't moving back to the .45 for anything other than nostalgic reasons. The requests from the SF community to move back to a 1911 platform has overwhelmed them. If they were making the move for tactical or "stopping power" reasons they would've gone with something like the FNX that's holds 15 rds. The old timers just want their 1911s back.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Idk how much faith I put in that graphic. Those figures might be true for something hard like a vehicle door but on soft human tissue, velocity has way more to do with exit would size than bullet diameter. Compare a 5.56 to a .45 ACP.
    Then we're comparing pistol to rifle ammo then....but velocity is still only one element to a round's effectiveness.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast