The designer round: .40S&W - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: The designer round: .40S&W

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United Socialist Republic of New York
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Idk how much faith I put in that graphic. Those figures might be true for something hard like a vehicle door but on soft human tissue, velocity has way more to do with exit would size than bullet diameter. Compare a 5.56 to a .45 ACP.
    I agree. Actually the shock cavity upon entry into the body is the killer and that is increased exponentially with high speed. There is a different dynamic when you put the energy (based on pure speed) of a rifle round into the equation. Or, try this one: Double Tap makes a 10mm that is 125 grains of Barnes Copper HP that comes out of a Glock 29 at 1600 FPS. That round would make a bigger overall / exit hole than the one in the chart shown.

  2.   
  3. #32
    Since I live in MN and people wear layers in the winter, I looked for something that could stop a BG and not just make him mad. I would have went with a .45 but I had chemo and this caused some weakness and neuropathy in my hands. So I went with a .40. I have since strengthen my hands but have decided to stay with my G23.

  4. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    The Marines aren't moving back to the .45 for anything other than nostalgic reasons. The requests from the SF community to move back to a 1911 platform has overwhelmed them. If they were making the move for tactical or "stopping power" reasons they would've gone with something like the FNX that's holds 15 rds. The old timers just want their 1911s back.
    Agreed, but many say that the 1911 is the best pistol platform ever made and are happy to see it back in the military. Well, I don't carry a 1911 but can appreciate that notion anyway.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sepra Peratus/Arkansas
    Posts
    1,638
    Heres a ballistic gel chart with the 10mm in it.

    The designer round: .40S&W-10mmgel.jpg
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    Heres a ballistic gel chart with the 10mm in it.

    The designer round: .40S&W-10mmgel.jpg

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    Heres a ballistic gel chart with the 10mm in it.

    The designer round: .40S&W-10mmgel.jpg
    Weird, I didn't know they made 10mm API rounds...lol

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    If you rotate that image 90 degrees to the right the 10 MM looks like an atomic explosion. Ouch!
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    If you rotate that image 90 degrees to the right the 10 MM looks like an atomic explosion. Ouch!
    That's because that's exactly what it is lol. Photoshopped over an already impressive wound cavity.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sepra Peratus/Arkansas
    Posts
    1,638
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    Detailed commentary on the .40S&W and why IMO I've always considered it a "designer round."

    Teats, Bulls and the .40 S&W | The Bang Switch
    Sooooo let me get this straight...you consider .40 S&W a "designer round" because it's a modified 10mm? That's a pretty weak argument. You posted on your website, in response to viewers, about why you don't feature .40 guns on your show.

    Consider this: The 9x19mm Parabellum was developed from the 7.6521mm Parabellum, which was derived from the 7.6525mm Borchardt (C-93 pistol.) Your argument is basically that the FBI had a good round in the 9x19, and that shortening the 10mm (10x25mm) by 3mm to 10x22mm, creating the .40 S&W was unnecessary. Well, considering that the 9mm was created by shortening the original round by 6mm, I'd say that only having to shorten the 10mm auto by half that (and likewise, reduce the poweder charge a bit as the full load is pretty unmanageable and would be more so in a smaller handgun), thus creating a powerful package with more energy and penetration than the 9mm of the day was a good choice when clearly, as you reported, Platt was able to continue his murder spree because the 9mm cartridge used by the agents was so ineffective that it stopped an inch short from his heart.

    Your post on this site and article on your website is purely opinion. I don't see why you posted it here. Is there a reason, or are you just trying to start a caliber war?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast