The designer round: .40S&W
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The designer round: .40S&W

Post The designer round: .40S&W

Detailed commentary on the .40S&W and why IMO I've always considered it a "designer round."

Teats, Bulls and the .40 S&W | The Bang Switch

3. Penetration isn't the only thing to consider when comparing the 9mm to the .40. Don't forget kinetic energy. In your examples you talk of muzzle velocity and penetration (both calibers were similar), muzzle energy wasn't considered. That's an important subject. Tissue damage is another.

Don't blame the round for guns that go boom , blame the gun maker for poor design. If the gun goes boom because of a round that was reloaded with am improper amount of powder, that's a different story. Also, as gun makers made their pistols for the round instead of adapting what they had, reliability became a non-issue. Again, don't blame the round.

I like my S&W M&P 40.

4. Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    Detailed commentary on the .40S&W and why IMO I've always considered it a "designer round."

Teats, Bulls and the .40 S&W | The Bang Switch
    Strange, I always thought of it as a semi auto version of the .38WCF since the original .40S&W round is virtually identical in performance (and bullet weight and diameter) to the original BP loading of the .38WCF.

The designer round: .40S&W

I love my .40. I completely disagree with the author on recoil. The .45 Glocks I've shot have more felt recoil to me than my .40 Glocks. I shoot .40 because it IS a compromise between tissue damaging surface area and mag capacity. Penetration is more or less equal between all three. Shot placement is still the most important factor.

It may be because I like steel pistols instead of tupperware or it may be because after you've fired an M110A2 on Zone 8 redbag nothing really seems like it has any recoil but I've never noticed that the .40 has all that much recoil. I don't see too much difference between my S&W 6906 (9mm) and my S&W 4006 (the original 40 S&W)
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

7. The .40 just never won me over. I've shot a few .40 cal. sidearms, but the caliber just didn't click for me. I have no reason besides I like .45 better. Could be I perceived the recoil a bit snappier, or it could all just be in my mind. I'm sure if a .40 is all I had, I'd get used to it!

So, another worthless opinion to add to the heap.

I jumped on the .40 when the first gen Glock's hit the market. Early on, the .40 loadings were a tad less impressive than the current crop of 9mm or .45's so while I loved the gun (G22), the ammo left me unimpressed.
    Now, with newer guns being built around the .40 instead of just beefed up 9mm offerings and the newer crop of ammo, I'm back for more of the .40.....
    And loving it!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

My XD40SC is my favorite handgun, a fist full of attitude.

Recoil is totally manageable, and I have no problem with very quick double-taps within 2 - 3" of 1st round at 7 or 10 yards.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

10. Love my .40 as well. I can switch between my Sr40 and my dads glock 9mm with no additional felt recoil.

Ammo is plentiful, not as cheap as 9mm but I can live with it, and it is a decent compromise in my book.

To each their own, as long as your comfortable shooting it and carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    ... it may be because after you've fired an M110A2 on Zone 8 redbag nothing really seems like it has any recoil
    Shot 'em in Vietnam.
    G'Day and G'lock

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast