How do I lock & hide a handgun on motorcycle? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I lock & hide a handgun on motorcycle?

i'd say that if you took it apart, and locked the frame and the barrel to the with a bike-lock/cable and took the slide with you, you'd be showing enough regard for the law to not get prosecuted. Easier to hide it that way, too, on your person and on the bike. Thief could see that he's not only going to have a tough time accessing it, he'll have trouble assembling it, even if he CAN find another slide. He almost certainly won't know what OTHER parts you have taken with you, where they can be found or what they might cost. So he's unlikel to steal it.

Just this Saturday I saw a few bikers with a small Pelican case on their rack, each with two locks. Very similar to one that I have. First thing I said to the wife was looks like they are carrying. I figured the cases were there so when they were traveling they could comply with the McClure Volkmer act where their permits were not valid. Of course they could have just been protecting their 3 Muskateers Bars. These cases are hard and strong and designed for handgun carry. (among other things). This case with 2 locks on them and then placed in your saddle bags, Leather, steel or composite, and the bags locked and also locked to the bike in someway would work just fine. Check out those cases.
    Pelican Cases for laptops + camera cases + shipping containers from Pelican-Case.com
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

The only thing I can ad is to set a motion sensor alarm in the bottom of the saddle bag. They are very inexpensive and loud.
    Reason for this is to attract attention to the bike if someone decides to work on opening the safe.
    You do have a remote to disarm the alarm each time you access the bag.
    These are loud! Lay it face up in the bottom of the saddle bag, when the bag is opened its game on.

Mitaki-Japan Motion Sensor Alarm Set: Surveillance Equipment : Walmart.com
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I think you ought to take a close look at the regulations regarding transport through states you are not licensed/permitted. I believe that it requires that the gun be locked in a case, unloaded, with ammunition in a separate location, away from the gun and case containing it. I'm not an attorney, nor have I played one on TV, but while locking it onto your bike with cable or trigger locks, etc, might be considered compliance with the spirit of the law, it may not comply with the letter of the law. I'd go for an enclosed, locked case. If it's enclosed and out of sight, a LEO or thief has no idea whether you have your lunch or a handgun in the case. Plus, keep in mind that a passer-by may go into hysterics at the very sight of the disassembled gun and report the presence of the gun to a LEO...after all, that nasty gun might assemble, load, then fire itself and injure an innocent child!!! (sarcasm intended). Why open yourself to that kind of aggravation.

I know every bike is different, but I have a nanovault with cable which attaches to the bike and the case fits into the saddlebag, out of sight. Only a couple inches of the cable is visible if you look closely. If I have to go into a building where illegal to carry, I can lock it up and know it's (fairly) secure, not subject to a quick grab. If going interstate, I have ammo and mags in another locked case in the other saddlebag. That works for me.

Everyone should make themselves familiar with the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986. In particular the "transport" provision.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Blog Entries
    Another thought is to put hinges on the seat and lock on the other side, then find room under the seat.
    The cable and safe has turned awkward to use.
    If the Boss would allow those of us with ccl's in the plant would be great, I'd sure know where my is, instead of leaving it in the parking lot and no guards.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123